Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	70020
    I reload several calibers in a typical setting and I like to have several Lee perfect powder measures set up to accommodate the various charges. I made a turret from an old lamp base and a sheet of plywood to hold the powder measures. A strip of blue painters tape can record the powder charge for each unit. I never fill more than one at a time and empty each when I am done with that caliber (easy to do with the Lee measures). The Lees are cheap and I have found them accurate - even with flake powders that cause fits with my RCBS.

Boolit Master
    If your melting pot uses a non-grounded two-prong plug, you become the ground wire. Insulate yourself... Shoes are highly recommended for more than just reducing the burn hazard.
    Last edited by cainttype; 10-15-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    About the only tip I have for anyone is keep yourself away from distractions. Reloading is serious business, think about the pressures that cartridge is operating under, and how close it is to your extremities when it lights off. One little mistake, one little distraction can cause a catastrophic event. Blown up guns, loss of fingers, vision, even death can occur. Be safe. Be aware.
    Very good advise!
    When I first started loading my .44 for Cowboy Action Shooting on a new Dillon 550B I had some distractions and problems with the learning curve with the first 1,000 rounds so I bought a electronic scale to weigh each and every bullet after a session of finding the mean weight of 20 cartridges based on the datum of one hand loaded duplicate that was of known quantities. I looked for the difference of 7 grains of Unique powder and found one that was indeed a double charge. One of my Colts would have been trashed. The cost of the Dillon electronic scale was cheep, paid for itself a thousand times over to find that one problem.

Two guns chambered in 30-06 and 100 rounds for each that had been fired once and reloaded with Barnes bullets for hunting the Condor Safety Zone in CA, of course the rounds are not interchangeable. Close but no cigar. I decided to keep the Ruger #1 and sell off the Ruger M-77 but didn't want to sell the ammo with it so I had a bright idea. I purchased a full length resizing die in 8mm-06 and now they all fit in the #1s tight chamber, problem solved.

On Heaven's Range

Go back and re-read this series of posts once in awhile. You will be surprised at how much you have forgotten. Now where was I ?

Mr. Ed
    The only good cast boolit is the one that hits the target

Only have one container of gun powder on your loading bench at any time and always keep the container for the powder currently loading on the loading bench. When finished, pour the remaining powder back into the container on the loading bench. This will prevent accidentally mixing different powders in a container. I'd hate to have to burn or destroy an 8# container of powder, or worse yet, hurt myself or others because of mixed powders.
    --
    Mark
    Glendale, AZ

NRA Life Member
    ASRPA Life Member

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels in:
    .22LR - .22 Hornet - .22 K-Hornet- .223 Rem - .270 REN - 7MM TCU - 7-30 Waters - .30-30 Win - .30 Herrett - .32-20 Win - .357 Magnum - .357 Herrett - .35 Rem - .375 Winchester - .44 Magnum - .444 Marlin - .45-70 Govt

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels Wanting:
    .17 Mach - .22 Jet - .256 Win Mag - 6MM TCU - .30 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye45 View Post
    Go back and re-read this series of posts once in awhile. You will be surprised at how much you have forgotten. Now where was I ?

Mr. Ed
    Need to get through first read. Great stuff!

One task at a time. start one phase then proceed to the next. Stay organized!

cheap copper wire wool Australia

I stumbled on a cheap source of copper wire wool for anyone in Australia or anywhere else for that matter that can't obtain chore boy or other sources of bronze or copper wire wool for barrel lead removal without paying exorbitant shipping costs.

It can be found by searching ebay for "Stainless Steel Solder Soldering Iron Tip Cleaner" and for a little over $4.00 it's landed at your door from China. It' comes in a little stainless steel ashtray type holder. I have checked the wool I ordered and it is 100% copper and not copper plated steel.

Boolit Mold
    2nd sawdust as flux. Just started casting. Turned 5 lbs. of oxidized metal and junk (dross) back into usable alloy with sawdust. Burns longer than wax and works much better. No more wax as flux for me. I cast/smelt right outside my wood shop. Read: sawdust everywhere.

Boolit Master

Lots of tips on here. Here's a few things I use in no
    particular order. Take a stiff wire or small allen wrench
    and put a handle on it to clean your spout. Easier than
    fumbling with a plier. Weld a bolt on your Lee pots rod and
    put a handle on that. Always there without grabbing a screw-
    driver. I used a piece of 1/8' aluminum to make a warming
    shelf on my Lee pot, works just fine. My scales sit on lead
    weighted boxes with adjustment screws for level and a hole for
    the magnfying glass and it's on an eye level shelf. The base
    of my pot is built up to get the spout closer to the sprue hole.
    Then covered with aluminum with a bent edge. Those little drips
    that I do get go into a removeable catch box not the floor.
    Take some scrap wood and you get a couple separate areas to dump
    your casts and the sprues also go into removeable catch boxes.
    Boxes are inclined floors, padded with denim covered sponge
    material and when the bullets are cool dump into boxes at the
    rear. I have a fan box mounted where I set the moulds to keep
    the sprue cutters cooled a little and I find it useful the way
    I cast. Mines set up for Lyman moulds but I'd think some of it
    would be useful to Lee's though I get the impression it's usually
    more of a problem keeping them hot enough. I just like iron!

Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

The best thing I discovered was 30 and 35 cal nose sizing dies for those cast boolits that seem to be too large, above the case, to properly chamber in semi-auto rifles. They work great.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    Holly Cow Batman I finally have something to add. Last night I was sizing and lubbing some bullets. Looking around in my loading area for something to store the bullets in. My last session filled up the parts drawers that I keep my completed bullets in. I happened to see one of those disposable plastic boxes with the slide top on it that 22 and 17 cal rimfire ammunition comes in. I have collected dozens of them and wondered what I was ever going to do with them all.
    One of the containers was exactly the width and length to hold 100 30 cal bullets. I now have a supply of bullet storage containers. Kevin

Use a premium grade of blue painter's tape and a sharpie to clearly label boxes of reloaded ammo. I do this when I am in load development mode and have say three boxes of the same ammo with different loads in each.
    When I am done, I keep the winner, that goes into the my load info binder for that ammo, the losers go into the trash. My ammo boxes remain uncluttered with torn labels, scribbled out info, etc.

Boolit Mold

Large labels on coffee can storage

I use large coffee cans for storage in my shop. I get my large labels by using a sheet off a lint roller. peel it off the roller, it is adhesive and ready to use. Mark with sharpie.

Boolit Master
    Stuck, or sticky, sprues are commonly removed by casters inverting the mold and tapping the handle's hinge-pin until they release...Try tapping in the upright position instead. Often times your sprues will release easier.

Boolit Mold
    when heat treating boolits in a convection oven.. give them a little more room then I did. took me a long time to make this beautiful piece of artwork. I guess I can use my oven to melt lead in a pinch if I had too. I thought by setting it to 475 instead of max 500 I would be safe... guessed wrong. On top of this.. I stupidly dunked it in the batch of ice water I had ready.. well now I know how much it hardens the lead considering I couldn't break it even in my vise and the chunk won't fit in my 20lb pot for remelting.

Oh wow it's a big lead brownie!

Boolit Master

LOL time to get the saws all out and start cutting.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    When pouring lube into a lubrisizer in which all traces of the previous lube have been removed, be sure to install and tighten down a sizing die. Floors and cabinets function as designed without the application of boolit lube.
    Ah.. Should have read it this morning :banghead:
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast