MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Longwood

Handy pans

I buy a lot of stainless steel cooking and serving pans used by the restaurants that end up at the local recycler. Don't know why but they sure do get a lot of them.
    They are very well made too handle heavy loads and come in many handy sizes
    Every time I go to get scrap lead, I look in the stainless bin for a pan to carry it in.
    The big cookie sheets are great for numerous thing also and I usually get them for about $3 each.

Boolit Master

Geez, rather than throwing out powder from your measure's resivoir, why not just label it?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I put the can of powder I am using right behind my measure until i am done with it, so there is no confusion as to which powder is being used. It then goes back on the shelf away from the measure when done...avoids that situation. Labeling would also help !
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

A few tips here:

For tumbling media, you can pick up 50# sacks of Walnut fairly cheap at a Welders Supply (used for sand blasting)

If you have a laptop and an external web cam, you can place the cam directly in front of your balance beam scale. This will show you a larger picture on your computer screen and eliminate any parralex (sp)

For melting large amounts of lead quickly, you can get a cheap cast iron pot @ Harbor freight as well as a propane burner used for deep frying turkeys.

For a cheap lubesizer heater, I have a sheet of aluminum that I ordered that is the width of the lubri-sizer and the length should be long enough to hold a clothing iron. I then mount it a bit raised from the bench using washers so the bench doesnt become a heat sink. You can use the wifes iron or pick up one cheap from a garage sale or 2nd hand store.

Banned

I discovered a small pebble inside a spent .40 case.

After I broke a decapping pin.

Boolit Master

Lee Sizer Tip..

Well I didn't read through the whole thing so if this has been suggested before I missed it.

I have been pouring and sizing quite a few of the longer RFN type boolits through the Lee push through sizers. As such there have been several times the bullets have stacked and lifted the top cover off almost resulting in a mess.

I found that a piece of 1/4" wide Ty-Wrap, about an inch taller than the spout which comes into the container, could be bent on the end with a pair of pliers, and would hold it's shape. This could then be inserted into the gap between the outside of the owl and the spout and would effectively knock the boolits over as they came through the spout, keeping them from stacking.

It has only taken one Ty-Wrap to make enough of these to have one in several sizers.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Banned

Today, I wanted to take a picture of the sight alignment on the M&P. I almost pulled the trigger instead of the camera button.

Think about it.

Boolit Master

For those of you with Android phones.

Ultra Magnifier+ is a lighted magnifier camera for your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lmaWVyUGx1cyJd

It makes it easier to look at small parts and to look in barrels. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. This helps a lot.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Geez, rather than throwing out powder from your measure's resivoir, why not just label it?
    Easiest way I've found to deal with this is I always have sharpies on the bench for making primers in a ladder load work-up. Tear off a strip of paper, write the powder on it, lay it on the top of the opening after you fill, and snap the cap on. Sealed, visible, doesn't turn into a sticky mess as with labels, etc. Another solution is wet-erase markers. They won't rub off simply from touching them, but come off easily with a damp rag.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Remember to turn your head before you sneeze when weighing out Unique in the pan of a beam scale.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Take an old kitchen spoon put it in a vise up side down take a 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel and grind a slot in the middle of spoon this way when you skim off your ww clips hot lead goes out the slot and not in your coffee can.

Boolit Master
    The Lee molds all look alike at the bottom of a drawer, so write the diameter and weight on the handles with a Sharpie. I spray them with clear lacquer after they dry so the marking doesn't get worn off, but I have discovered you need to weight a couple of days at least so the Sharpie can penetrate the factory finish. If you don't it can sometimes run with the lacquer.

I also use twist ties to hold them closed.

NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

cleaning media

I found a couple of different case cleaning media in the walmart pet dept. It is a lot cheaper than any reloading outlet.
    Last edited by xs11jack; 04-07-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added info
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

+1 on the repurposed sewing machine motor/foot control.

Lube heater, get a 40W cartridge element (online), a piece of aluminum plate and a screw adjustable upper thermostat for an electric water heater.

Stuck case removal, get a 7/8 x 14 nut to hold the die; add a nut and heavy washer to the bolt; run the drill, tap and bolt no further into the stuck case than the thickness of the base of the case; use the nut and heavy washer on the bolt against the 7/8 x 14 nut to pull the case out so that you don't wreck the decap stem and expander.
    Last edited by lcclower; 04-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

When casting with a mold that has 2 or more cavities but one is HP'd for a spud that you don't happen to be using... DON'T lose track of what your doing and attempt to fill all the cavities anyway... It just pours right through--and the splatter tells you pretty quick that it's doing so all over the bench... That would be a Homer Simpson moment I'd like to save you from.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

When taking your .44 Magnum and your .45 Colt to the range..............don't take your .44 Magnum and your .45 Colt to the range at the same time unless each gun and its respective ammo are separated, i.e. keep the .44 Magnum and its ammo in your vehicle while you have the .45 Colt and its ammo at the bench...don't ask me how I know this.

Boolit Bub
    Because the harder bullets for my .444 cool a bit bigger, the gas checks are a little tighter to fit on the base of the bullet. I cut a thin steel plate to fit over the hole for sizing my bullets and use the top punch to press on the gas check nice and square.
    Pull the plate and size and lube.
    Works for me.

Boolit Master
    For ya'll that shoot muzzleloaders stop wasting money on overpriced "super-dooper bullets." Find a good Maxi-Ball mold and get to casting. They work. Long bearing surface and plenty of weight. If it's too heavy git it hollowpointed or do it yourself. Next, learn how to pan lube them Maxi's. It's cheap, easy....and it works. No more daubing on Bore Butter and slopping it all over your hands while loading. Pan lube, half beeswax and half olive oil. Cheap..easy....and it works. A easy way to carry them pre-lubed Maxi's is to scrounge up some of them plastic tubes the kiddies get M&M's in at Easter an Christmas. Cut to length an cork/stopper up the ends. A scrap piece of pvc pipe works too...push a pvc cap on both ends to keep em' in there. Audie....the Oldfart

Boolit Buddy

Dented Bullets

To minimize dented bullets while casting I built two 8” x 8” boxes and hinged one on top of the other with a support leg and lined with old carpet. I dump the casted bullets in the upper level to cool down, while I filling the mold and them dump to the lower level before opening the mold.

BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Need a big pot for casting on a turkey fryer? Use an old empty propane tank. BE SURE IT IS EMPTY! Remove the valve [this is where empty is important]. Fill with water, empty water. Use your 5" grinder and cut the tank in half along the welded seam. Cut the collar off the top half and cut it in two for two handles to weld onto the bottom half for carry & pouring. Works great on the turkey fryer. be careful... it will hold more melt than you can easily lift.
    "Like cool water to a thirsty soul is good news from a distant land." Prov. 25:25

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast