Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Boolit Master
    RedLegEd - save yer $$$... El Cheapo GONRA uses (washed up) black plastic Stoffers (et. al.) frozen meal trays.

Conditor22 - Great Funnel Suggestion! Wifey wanted to buy a funnel at Wal*Mart tomorrow. She's gonna LOVE this! Just added it to her Saturday Morning Chore List. THANX!
    Last edited by GONRA; 01-24-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Always wear all your safety gear, including apron, sleeve protectors, welding cap, and face shield. I had some kind of large insect fly into a full bottom pour Rcbs pot. Lead went six feet up the wall, all over the bench and all over me. At least 7 or8 pounds. I was in my welding sleeves and apron, welding cloth hat, gloves, and long sleeve denim shirt. I didn’t get any blisters. Not something you expect!
    All times wasted wots not spent shootin!

Boolit Bub
    Always weigh your bullets! What your mold tells you it will be and what you get can vary tremendously. I don't weigh every single one, but i do enough to get an idea.

Here's my tip of the day.

Don't let Democrats run your Elections! It appears that they cheat!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Always wear all your safety gear, including apron, sleeve protectors, welding cap, and face shield. I had some kind of large insect fly into a full bottom pour Rcbs pot. Lead went six feet up the wall, all over the bench and all over me. At least 7 or8 pounds. I was in my welding sleeves and apron, welding cloth hat, gloves, and long sleeve denim shirt. I didn’t get any blisters. Not something you expect!
    Even if you don't wear all that stuff, wear eye protection. I've seen little slashes bounce off my glasses...
    WWG1WGA

Here's a great tip from a fairly new reloader with limited space and a carpet beneath the only area I can reload in my apartment:

If you're extremely picky about leaving crud out of your floor, use Wax Paper or Parchment Paper as a layer between your workspace and the bits of powder and strings of brass that get removed in the crimping process.

To further enhance its mess catching capability, use clips over the ends to give it a lip so that bits of stuff you don't want in your floor can't fall off the edge of the table accidentally.

This has saved me a lot of headache and makes for a super easy cleanup!

Moderator Emeritus

Take good notes.
    Keep the notes in a place you will remember where they are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man

Use a water softener funnel “Funnel for Filling Resin & Mineral Tanks” to fill your F.A.R.T.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Although personally, I don’t Subscribe to all the safety equipment you described. I believe you should ware whatever safety equipment makes feel as safe as you can be. I most certainly believe in safety glasses and wear them religiously. Aside from that, having a degree in entomology, I’m trying to figure out what kind of alien insect landed on the top of your lead pot, causing 8 pounds of molten lead to spew fourth? I mean in order for water to cause an irruption in molten lead( commonly known as the tinsel fairy) it must Break the surface tension of the molten lead and get beneath the surface of the molten lead. Furthermore all insects take in oxygen through holes in their exoskeleton, making them extremely buoyant in water. Molten lead has a greater surface tension than water. I am wondering how the heck an insect managed to pull this off. Are you sure it was an insect and not a small bird or maybe a pigeon flapping it’s wings? Did you happen to find what was left of the insect? I would love to see that one
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Clean your factory crimp die if your experiencing collapsed cases every once in a while. Had this happen while running the 650, .223 caught is while watching loaded rounds falling into the bin. All was fine till the last operation at crimp die station. Looked down inside crimp die and noticed no gap between fingers. Cleaned and oiled now all is good. Found about 12 loaded rounds with collapsed shoulders. Will now become 300 BO.

Boolit Man
    I was having trouble with my Lee 4-20 pot pulling out the screws on the valve control. I cleaned it out, tore it apart and put a squeeze on the aluminum columns. This worked great but the valve was still hard to raise. I keep a small bottle of mould lube on my bench and I thought, "good for moulds, why not my pot"? My lube bottle has a metal spout so I put a small amount on both the top and bottom guides when it was hot. WOW, it was so smooth it was amazing!!

Boolit Mold

Share Your Tip Of The Day

I use range scrap which is easy to find at my range. It’s a cheap form of lead but needs to be washed & dried thoroughly sorted before smelted. Almost every bucket I have found a live cartridge in it. Why or how? Not sure but people are careless. All of them have been.22 rimfire except an ancient 32 rim fire? But can you imagine the havoc they would reek on your operation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bullthrower; 04-15-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Each time, before pouring lead into mold cavities, pour one spot of lead on top of the spruce plate in front of the row of cavities. Heats up the mold quicker. This may only apply to bottom pour.

Boolit Master
    My last 2 molds have been very stubern about getting up to casting temperature. Even with using a hotplate + dipping a corner of the mold into the molton lead. They wouldn't get hot enough.
    So lately i will roll the mold over 90degrese to one side and lay a bead of lead on the side of the mold above the handle tong. Then fill whichever cavities i am using to heat the mold up. When you go to empty the mold of the bullet you cast. The bead of lead will usually also come off of the mold.
    I repeat this as many times as needed to heat the mold up to the proper temperature.
    I also use this method on my 22 molds that continue to loose temp continually.

Boolit Master

Keep in mind the sprue plate needs to come up to temp also
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

I was having the devil of a time getting all the sprue out of the sprue plate. About every third cast, a plug of lead stayed in the pour hole on the cutter. After fighting with them, prying them out, pouring lead to melt the remaining sprue etc. I had a brainstorm. I used a very small dab of two-stroke oil on the top of the sprue plate, just around the holes, not inside them. Presto; problem solved. Sprues fall out like they should.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

STAY OUT OF CASTING!!!!!! ITS A BLACK HOLE! YOU’LL NEVER GET OUT!!!!

Boolit Master
    Never piss upwind or onto an electric fence.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Don't pet flaming dogs

Boolit Master
    Don't sweat the minor things. Just wait, there will be enough major things to sweat over,.
    Example, slight lead fouling, slightly imperfect bullets, slight sizing differences and a whole host of things that may be slight unless one has a habit of "Making a Mountain out of a Mole Hill.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast