WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Instead of getting one of those fancy hot plates at wally world, I just used an old coffee maker. We had a bunch that had broken carafes, but still worked. I took one, plugged it in and heat my molds on the platen.

Edit Update: Found a hotplate at a yard sale for $2, it does work better.
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 01-09-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Newbie working on bullets. I have been taking a lot of advice on how to's and what to's from all the people on this group. I was a fish out of water up till a couple of months ago. Never had my hands on casting till then. Things have been going slow and careful. But they says pics are worth a thousand words. These pics are from today. 76' outside. Heavy fog and rain. 5 shot group at 50 yards. Not to bad.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-08 cast.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	111206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-08 cast2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	111207

Boolit Master
    Good job Karl.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Good job Karl.
    Thanks, working real hard to get these groups. Never thought COWW would do this good or I would have been shooting them years ago

Boolit Grand Master

Re-melt your dross. I had a big stainless steel bowl I use for the dross and I decided to try and melt it again before throwing it out. I got 8 1lb ingots from it of shiny stuff which looks to be mostly tin. At least it pings instead of clunks.

That and if you have a question on something cast boolit related, anything cast boolit related, ask here. Someone has already been there and done that and will save you much trouble and heartache
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    About the only tip I have for anyone is keep yourself away from distractions. Reloading is serious business, think about the pressures that cartridge is operating under, and how close it is to your extremities when it lights off. One little mistake, one little distraction can cause a catastrophic event. Blown up guns, loss of fingers, vision, even death can occur. Be safe. Be aware.
    Been there, done that! Heed his warning!

Banned
    Tip o' the Day

Donate, so we don't lose this valuable resource!

1. If you use a case tumbler to clean your brass, make sure and coat the media with mineral spirits to keep the dust down, which has lead in it. Inhaling lead dust-not good for you.
    2. If you purchase a Lee bullet mold, use it immediately within the first 30 days. And once you get a good batch check EVERY dimension. That way if something is wrong you can return it and have another one back to you for free. If you run over the 30 days, you have to pay 1/2 the purchase price +shipping. Not worth the cost then.

Boolit Mold
    Hi guys, 1st post. When working up rifle loads I like to use those colored MTM brand load labels. I use a different color label for each load with its specs written in. I color the brass case head with colored sharpies matching the labels (which is stuck on the inside lid of the box). Its alot easier to resort those rounds if you ever happen to elbow your cartridge box off the bench. I also make a corresponding colored mark by each load spec in my load notebook. Makes it easier to closer inspect the case for subtle pressure signs at a time of your choosing.

I've used colored nail polishes to mark primers, because there were lots of choices on hand in the house. Sharpies are handier.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Buddy
    I know it has been said before but this is the best dollar you will spend on reloading.

http://www.frys.com/product/5830383?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I need to pick up a few next time I am there just to have as a backup.

Bob

Boolit Master

Share Your Tip Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    small tip when using set screws that I use on all my die lock rings, etc.

Put a single piece of lead shot under the set screw. It will mash down and hold things very secure, while also saving the threads of the screw you are trying to set.
    Cool, I like that one!

Ok, I've had a couple of drippy BP furnaces in the past and always kept 2 things on hand:
    1 some narrow baking trays to put under the spout should she decide to drain completely, but even better than that is
    2 stick (about 2"w x 8" long x 3/4" thick) with a 2" 4d nail driven through it near one end. The nail is just the right size to clear the spout or block it off should things get out of hand.
    Last edited by Jtarm; 01-07-2015 at 07:06 PM.

If you need to empty your 20 pound lead pot really fast, and don't mind the ceiling decoration, just drop a large rifle magnum primer in the pot.

Really, I defer to the admonitions above to eliminate distractions while you work.

In my experience , I got lucky, had no damage...you may not.

Same goes for reloading, casting, welding, PC'ing, and about everything else hazardous I do that can entwine, entrap, burn, asphixiate, cut, hang, drown, electrocute, or explode.

Eliminate distractions...you'll live longer.
    Last edited by pls1911; 01-18-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Grand Master

My tip of the day? Shut off power to the pump when working on a malfunctioning aerobic OSSF.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    Never cast bullets while wearing sandles.
    Pick up virtues

Boolit Master
    When I ladder test loads. I rite the basic inf. (powder type, quantity) on the cartridge case so no other notes are necessary. I use a fine point sharpie. The ink comes off when I wet tumble the cases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsmith View Post
    Never cast bullets while wearing sandles.
    lol, yup, this is a lesson learned quickly

I PC my boolits and It takes a lot of time lining up all of the boolits. I have found that I can fill my boolit reloading trays with my boolits and then put my painting plate on top and flip it over like you do primers. It lines up 100 boolits all uniform and fast for painting.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Use 400 grit paper to smooth out the hollowpoint pins or hollow base pin in 12 gauge slugs if your alloy is sticking to it, follow it up with some smoking and you'll never stick again. Like butter.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    After being stubborn and thinking I know everything (actually after ruining a whole batch of ww) I finally broke down and bought a rcbs thermometer. Now when I cast I don't have to worry about zinc melting in my pot.

Lesson: everyone just buy a thermometer, JUST DO IT!

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast