MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Boolit Grand Master
    Do not confuse WC 860, WC 820 and/ or WC 680 with each other.

Boolit Buddy
    Good information. I wish I had something to share

Boolit Master

tip: If you need heat treated boolits...

Size and seat your gas checks with a Lee push thru die - then heat treat 'em in the

oven...

finally, use a .001 or .002" larger die in your lube sizer to lube the boolets. This will

save a broken handle on the lube sizer.

Boolit Master
    When pouring lube into a lubrisizer in which all traces of the previous lube have been removed, be sure to install and tighten down a sizing die. Floors and cabinets function as designed without the application of boolit lube.

Set Screw tip

small tip when using set screws that I use on all my die lock rings, etc.

Put a single piece of lead shot under the set screw. It will mash down and hold things very secure, while also saving the threads of the screw you are trying to set.

Boolit Grand Master

Check the first few primers in a lee hand priming tool. It is real easy to have one or two that are frist in line be upside down. Removing upside down primers is something I really do not enjoy, and do it very carefuly.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

if you want to shim your dies up to seat and crimp in two opperations, the secondary clutch shims for a yamaha snowmobile (all yamaha fazer (pz480) and late 1990's v max 500 - 600 snowmobiles) work perfectly. just add until you get the correct depth. they also make them in different thicknesses. i wish i had a part number, but i got rid of all that stuff when i quit working on them.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master
    A neat trick to wipe lube from the bases of boolits:
    Take a 2x4 about 9" long and stretch one of your "holy" socks over it and then staple it to the 2X4. When it gets dirty turn it inside out and start over. Sure gets rid of holy socks that never really do get mended!
    Just make sure the sock is stretched as tight as you can get it so that when you wipe the base of the boolit, the sock doesn't move on the board.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    A Shell Holder Works Great In a Hammer Type Boolit Puller ??

Don't stick you finger in the hot lead

Boolit Master
    If you have a stripped (slightly rounded) allen screw socket, try a metric allen wrench. It might be just slightly larger, fit, and be able to grip the socket.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Mold
    I mix 45-45-10 tumble lube in a 10 dollar blender... Worked like a hot damn..
    Oh, and melt dry lead...

Boolit Master
    The first time you try pan-lubing cover yourself and the whole house in plastic. Elbow length gloves, shower-cap, disposable apron, etc. Remember to cover the toilet seat&handle. And yer sneakers. And the kitchen....allll the kitchen. Audie...the Oldfart..

Look up a new load once,close the book and look it up again.Chances of reading it wrong twice are less and you might remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewelder View Post
    Look up a new load once,close the book and look it up again.Chances of reading it wrong twice are less and you might remember it.
    Good point! When I first started to load for my .270 Win, I found a .270 Win load in my Hornady book, and fortunately, before dropped a charge into a case I noticed I was actually looking at data for .270 WSM. Always pays to check and recheck the data before loading.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master

I had a Lyman mould. Someone had dropped it, dinged the corner of boolit base on one half. I closed the mould in a vise over progressivley larger pin gauges until the corner was ironed back to where it used to be.

Casts a complete base now, works great.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    If you have a stripped (slightly rounded) allen screw socket, try a metric allen wrench. It might be just slightly larger, fit, and be able to grip the socket.
    I'll add to this one, take the allen wrench and plunge the end straight into the grinding wheel on a bench grinder. It'll not only expose new un-rounded hex, but leave the burr on the wrench that the grinding wheel created. That burr adds to the wrench size, get a large enough burr that you have to tap the wrencch into the socket head. If you're lucky it will grip the screw just enough to break it loose so you can replace it.

Here's a tip that I learned here and just tried today. I took a small piece of rag about 2" square and I rubbed a small amout of case lube to it. I placed my cases into a small container with the rag, and I shook the container as if I was tumble lubing. The rag transfered an undetectable amount of lube to the cases. Even though my pistol dies are carbide this worked great, the press was so much smoother and easier to operate.

Banned

I did something similar. Took a sponge and cut into 3/4 inch cubes, oiled them, then put them between two pieces of towel to blot the excess oil from them. Then toss them into a rock tumbler with the cases for about 5 minutes. Oils the cases lightly, but not enough to get oil inside the cases or primer pockets.

Boolit Bub
    When casting in the summer, don't wipe sweat from your brow with the same hand you pick up your ingots for adding to the pot. It can really get your attention. BTW, I wear a full face shield when casting, thank goodness.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    Or try a Torx bit!
    Round off the bottom corners if the fit is very tight.
    Tap in and unscrew carefully.
    Last edited by Chicken Thief; 03-27-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast