Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Share Your Tip Of The Day

When it comes to reloading and/or cast boolits, is there a tip of the day you would like to share ? I have one;

If and when you are reloading shot shells, no matter how tempted you are, don't stick your finger in the "wad guide".

Reloading cartridges since 1992.

Banned

When pan lubing, heat the lube and bullets together, under the lowest temperature possible, until the bullets are the same temperature as the lube. Then let them cool naturally to room temperature. This will make the lube stay in the grooves when you remove the bullets from the cake.

Boolit Master
    Float new,(unused) kitty litter on top of your melt when using a bottom pour furnace. This prevents air from reaching your melt and reduces the amount of melt oxidation.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

No matter how nice that boolit you just cast out of you brand new mold looks let it cool before you pick it up.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Spend $10 on a hot plate. Then ALWAYS use the hot plate to warm up your molds, more consistent preheat, no rejects when you start. When using any powder charge with which a double charge is possible, always charge case and immediately seat the bullet. Never sweep your casting/reloading bench off to clean up lead drips, chips, and small particles, then immediately dump them into a melt. The possibility of minute particles of gun powder or even a stray live primer can be a terrible surprise. Keep the sweeping in a can, heat them up on top of a cold pot.

When you go to the doctor, He uses the little plastic funnels over the device he looks in your ear with. Ask the Doctor for some. Those plastic funnels, with tiny hole end cut off, they become the perfect powder funnel for cases with small necks, .... from .38 special all the way down to .22 hornet. You just trim the opening the size you need it and stick it in the end of the case and pour your powder in. No more spills !!

Ohio Rusty ><>
    Last edited by Ohio Rusty; 03-19-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Banned

I use one of those, only slightly different. I got a 1/2"(?) clear hose, found one to slide inside that one for a step, trimmed the funnel to fit, and use it for a drop tube. A 3/4" electrical conduit end has the same threads as the press, so I was able to cut the threaded section off for a spacer. Slide the tube into the spacer, and its easily adjustable. When Im done , it just sits neatly in the top of the powder die. The threaded colar stays in the press under the measure. The Lyman 55 is in a turret press, and I can just charge one right after the other with the bullets still in the tray. Describing this simple item is difficult, so Maybe this will help. I can charge a tray of 50 in about a minute and a half, stays within a tenth of a grain.

When pan lubing, leave an empty row and and empty column down the middle of your pan.

When you drop your cake, use the empty space to cut the cake into 4 smaller cakes.

4 small cakes are much easier to deal with and you'll be less likely to disturb your bullets/pull lube out of the grooves until you punch them out of the cake.

Boolit Master
    If you need a crimp die for the 44 mag. and don't want to use a Lee carbide factory crimp die, buy a Lee 44-40 rifle factory crimp die. It does not have the carbide ring. I find that it works perfect for the 44mag. when using boolits that are sized .432...............Terry

Boolit Master

I'm with selmerfan here - get a hot plate and use it. Saves a lot of grief... So simple. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

If it looks like a bear but smells like a woman, run like hell.
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Don't try to seat a bullet with a Lee FCD. Did this one by accident the other day...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Banned

no matter how great it sounds don't put kitty litter on the top of your lead in a bottom pour pot. It just makes a mess.

Banned

When it comes to moving lead, wheels are your friend.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    no matter how great it sounds don't put kitty litter on the top of your lead in a bottom pour pot. It just makes a mess.

Explain that one, DJ., I use it all the time, and it is no mess.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    if something doesnt look right on a powder charge, dump it out and re-do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Once I get a die set up, belling, seating, I'll take my verniers and measure from the top of the adjusting screw to the top of the die, and from the top of the die to the locking ring. and record this right along with the load. This saves alot of time and frustration when your setting up for a different boolit, or have to take the die apart to clean the excess lube out of it.......................steg

P.S. I thought this thread would just keep going on and on, we could really share alot of info on this one.................steg

Moderator Emeritus

P.S. I thought this thread would just keep going on and on, we could really share alot of info on this one.................steg
    I was thinking it should be merged with the top 10 casting tips from 2010?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

About the only tip I have for anyone is keep yourself away from distractions. Reloading is serious business, think about the pressures that cartridge is operating under, and how close it is to your extremities when it lights off. One little mistake, one little distraction can cause a catastrophic event. Blown up guns, loss of fingers, vision, even death can occur. Be safe. Be aware.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Screw your casting pot to SOMETHING. I have my bottom pour held in place with four screws through the bottom of the setup. I could just see myself catching part of it with a shirt sleeve and dumping it all over.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast