Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: "Hi, I'm Larry Potterfield" Gunsmithing Videos

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

"Hi, I'm Larry Potterfield" Gunsmithing Videos

Old Larry is a bit of an annoying character, but his videos are very informative. I watched one on blueprinting a Remington action. Looked good, but boy, he used some expensive looking tools and bushes, etc.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fU_bGHAfV4

Awesome job, I have 4x Remington 700s and will probably end up with another.

Do any of you guys use these tools?

To quote Larry, 'and that's teh way it is!' LOL!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Those tools are from Dave Manson and save a lot of time if you do a lot of actions. I bought the tap to do the threads because I have 5 actions to do and it is cheaper than screwing up the threads on the lathe.
    The other parts I do in thr lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Those tools are from Dave Manson and save a lot of time if you do a lot of actions. I bought the tap to do the threads because I have 5 actions to do and it is cheaper than screwing up the threads on the lathe.
    The other parts I do in thr lathe.
    What parts did you buy?

Just thought, I have two 788s as well. Are the threads the same?

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

You would think with all his money and the sales benefits, he would maybe produce 2:31 long minute videos instead of 1:31 long minuet videos? ...

How bout' real tutorial videos going into more detail for a few more production bucks instead of the annoying "Hi, I'm Larry Potterfield" commercial?

Annoying he is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    You would think with all his money and the sales benefits, he would maybe produce 2:31 long minute videos instead of 1:31 long minuet videos? ...

How bout' real tutorial videos going into more detail for a few more production bucks instead of the annoying "Hi, I'm Larry Potterfield" commercial?

Annoying he is.
    Can't argue the annoying bit, but I think we may be missing the point. He isn't trying to teach us gunsmithing, he is trying to sell expensive toys to the home hobby guy. While some of the videos contain neat information, bottom line is they are commercials! Take them with a grain of salt, realize you don't need all the tools he uses, and look out for the real tips that may or may not be burried in the ad.

Banned

If I were he, I would produce real videos and for free.

I get it's a commercial, the shop is a total prop and not really used. He probably doesn't do any of that work himself ever.

What does bother me is some of his examples for running machines and reloading are not safe examples in my opinion.

Running the 1" wide bandsaw to trim the stock blank- he's got the guide adjusted way to high above the work. Stupid and unsafe. This ain't no real shop. It's a prop and to bad he doesn't have a real craftsman standing next to him working while he rambles.

Yep, they are ads for Midway, but I have picked up a lot of useful stuff from them. He is annoying. but when I'm on YouTube and see one of his videos that I haven't seen I click on it everytime.

Midway won't export anything to Australlia and I can understand that stance on firearm parts that require a lot of time consuming effort, the work involved sending a bunch of brushes, jags and cleaaning patches is no more work then sending something to a US address, just needs a different UPS pack, easy peasy. That has always annoyed me about them, occasionally stuff gets imported by business houses, but ends up being expensive.

Like Starline brass, it is every bit as expensive as other brands (sometimes more so and there is no advantage in ordering in bulk.

'And that's the way it is!' I might add that to my signature and annoy the **** out of everyone here.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 03-19-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: forgot something

Banned

Did he have to rip off pour old Chronkite? ...

I guess when you're dead, it's all up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    If I were he, I would produce real videos and for free.

I get it's a commercial, the shop is a total prop and not really used. He probably doesn't do any of that work himself ever.

What does bother me is some of his examples for running machines and reloading are not safe examples in my opinion.

Running the 1" wide bandsaw to trim the stock blank- he's got the guide adjusted way to high above the work. Stupid and unsafe. This ain't no real shop. It's a prop and to bad he doesn't have a real craftsman standing next to him working while he rambles.
    He'd be just dooing what he was told and no doubt the length, etc of the videos would be decided by the marketing guys. WHat we respond to and what the averaage guy responds are different I suppose. What I would like is if they made the quick YouTube vid, but sold the longer complete videp for a reasonab;e price.

Boolit Buddy
    He is more than likely doing things wrong. But me and the people that hang out here are a very small nitch in his business. I give him some business when the price is right with his seems to me high shipping cost. I am also pretty sure he is not working shift work, or night shifts. Working mostly for his self at a job he seems to like and is paying out more money than I make by a long ways in advertisements and catalogues. So some one in his group is doing the right things. I know my type of shooting and gun interest would not keep him open

Kirb

Boolit Buddy
    Old Larry ought to quit sponsoring so many TV shows and drop his prices a bit. Some of his dealer prices are within a few dollars of retail!!! The difference between his prices and Grafs and Sons is like night and day. When I mentioned that to one of the guys on the phone at Midway, he said, yeah some of our prices are pretty high... Duh....
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Can't blame Larry, finally got a job where he doesn't have to spend non paying time making a tool or looking for the tool he made last year and also doesn't have to hang on to the end of a phone listening to some guy rabbit on with some dream rifle that he will never build, all causing him to lose time and then having to put up with people complaining how far behind he is with his work.

He's got a 9-5 job with little shop time, he must be loving it. Still keeping his hand in, but doing it easily. The boss takes the tax out and he doesn't have to worry about the IRS even. Win, Win as far as Larry Potterfield is concerned, and to quote the man himself (and some other icon from the past) 'and thats the way it is!'