WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman Accumeasure rotor chart

Lyman Accumeasure rotor chart

Steve here... I googled searched and searched for the chart with no luck...
    I called Lyman today and they faxed this chart to me. Like the sign says. It is the rotor powder chart for the Old Lyman Accumeasure. Thought maybe a few of you guys could use it as well
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lyman Accumeasure rotor chart.pdf  

Thanks! I was just looking at buying one of these so this is great. Any chance they'd have instructions too?

Quote Originally Posted by z4lunch View Post
    Steve here... I googled searched and searched for the chart with no luck...
    I called Lyman today and they faxed this chart to me. Like the sign says. It is the rotor powder chart for the Old Lyman Accumeasure. Thought maybe a few of you guys could use it as well
    Steve

Boolit Master
    I've had mine a LONG time but I don't remember it having instructions. There ain't many parts and it's sure not complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    Thanks! I was just looking at buying one of these so this is great. Any chance they'd have instructions too?
    You bet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotor 1.jpg   rotor 2.jpg   rotor 3.jpg   rotor 4.jpg  

Steve here... Can't believe they stopped making these. Mine works like a dream...
    I also stumbled upon an old Bonanza Bullseye powder measure, only came with two rotors, but look easy enough to make.
    Steve

Awesome Thanks!

I found out the one I am looking at doesn't have the rotor I'll need. I'm still interested but I'll need to find one to throw the charge I need.

I've not seen one in person so if you could answer a couple of questions maybe for me it would help a bunch.

What makes it "Pistol" powder measure? Is the whole thing smaller than a regular measure or does it just throw smaller pistol size charges and not rifle?

Can it only be used with a charging die or can it be used manually on a stand also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    Awesome Thanks!

I found out the one I am looking at doesn't have the rotor I'll need. I'm still interested but I'll need to find one to throw the charge I need. There is a set of rotors on gunbroker.

I've not seen one in person so if you could answer a couple of questions maybe for me it would help a bunch.

What makes it "Pistol" powder measure? Its for small charges...Yes
    Is the whole thing smaller than a regular measure or does it just throw smaller pistol size charges and not rifle? pistol or small rifle charges...It is about the size of a little dandy

Can it only be used with a charging die or can it be used manually on a stand also... I use mine with a stand
    Good luck Steven

Steven,

Thank You! Huge help!

Boolit Master

Resurrecting old thread...

There's currently a great buy-it-now deal on "more than 10 available" AccuMeasures on a certain well known auction site. It says "no rotors" but the picture shows the usual 2 it should come with, so there's a little risk there but I'm suspecting it is seller unfamiliarity and that it probably has three rotors. It is misfiled as a powder scale instead of a powder measure. I have no relationship with the seller, other than I just bought one.

Item number: 170732401565

I suspect the measure was discontinued due to the cost of the brass in the rotor. Brass keeps going up in price while cheap steel is still pretty cheap. On top of that it was introduced at the dawn of the age of the affordable progressive reloading press, and batch mode handgun reloading was not the growth market. Declining sales on a product going up in cost is not a great recipe for product success.

I still like mine enough to buy another, especially when the price is right.

EDIT: I just received it, it was like opening a time package. New, came with one rotor installed and two more, and a brand new 1992 catalog with lots of "new" products, and the 9/90 dated powder volume chart. I'll have to compare it to the 86 chart I've been using.

HF
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 03-24-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought 1 a while back, came with 2 rotors. Bought another one that had the set of 12. I now have all the rotors. It is my main powder measure for pistol. I did a few mods to make it operate a bit smoother. I opened up the discharge to speed up the powder drop and to accommodate Trail Boss. I also opened up the end so I can see which rotor is installed. A bit quirky in that when you see 4S, the 4L is the cavity in use. 2400 is the powder that gives me the most grief, sometimes it gets a bit hard to rotate. I use my accumeasure on a Dillon riser on top of LEE powder thru expander. I also have a pair of RCBS Dandy, good unit, just seem to like the accu better.

Last edited by nitro-express; 08-27-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Got 3 of them.Verify the chart weights,they're "close" but always are off a little.I make custom rotors and haven't seen a bit of difference between brass and steel.... well,on the end use,machining them is obviously different.Somebody,may even be on here? makes an adj rotor.

Boolit Grand Master
    Zombie thread but it has some good info! I bought my first right after they came out then stumbled on the boxed complete rotor set at a LGS... somebody had apparently special ordered it then backed out, so I got a deal on it. Unfortunately the box lacks spots for the three rotors that came with the measure, so i’m always searching for where I hid those last rotors.

I bought a second NOS measure (with the three “starter rotors”) when this thread was last active and am now good for a looong time to come. I also have a couple of Little Dandy measures with their complete set of rotors and even a couple of the old Pacific Pistol Measures, but the rotor set for them is still building slowly.

I really don’t see that much difference between them in how well they work, so it comes down to which one has a rotor to throw closest to my desired charge of a particular powder for a load I want. They’re all good!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I needed to load just a quick 50 rounds of 327 FM to meet with my friend Rintinglen out at the range. I came back to this thread to get the charge table and then using my Lyman combo expander and powder drop along with the Accu-Measure went and dropped 50 charges of my non-canister Accurate #9 in about the time it takes to tell it. I was using a Lyman die set on my All American turret press so I seated the bullets and crimped at the same station. If I hadn’t been in a hurry I would have finished up with my Lee factory crimp die, but even without it only a few rounds were tight going into the chambers of my Ruger BH 8-shooter, and none gave problems in the custom 616.

That old Accu-Measure is a gift that keeps on giving. I wish they were still being made!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    When were those made, I've never seen/heard about them before?
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the 1990s IIRC. The measure came with three of the little brass rotors then you could buy twelve more, either individually or as a boxed set. The only weaknesses of the concept and its execution were that the rotor box couldn’t hold all 15 rotors for storage and that rhe powder reservoir was a flimsy, thin plastic. On the one I use the most I’ve replaced the reservoir with a piece of plated brass tubing.
    I use mine in rotation with a Little Dandy and find both work equally well. I’m guessing Lyman discontinued theirs because the brass rotors were so expensive and because they were facing too stiff competition with the Little Dandy.
    Froggie