Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: ch444

Boolit Master

ch444

I am thinking about buying a ch 444 h-press. What kind of leverage does this press have? I would like use it to do both rifle and pistol. Thanks
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

troyboy -- I have the CH 333. Nearly identical to the 444 but obviously with only 3 stations. The 444 is called the "Pistol Champ". It was designed for pistol cartridges. I wanted to use mine for small rifle reloading (30 carbine and 223/5.56). I called CH4D and spoke with the owner. He said the press CAN handle small rifle reloading (short casings), but you would want to incorporate a regular powder measure with the press due to the larger powder volumes, rather than the push button powder measure that comes supplied with the Pistol Champ package. Any of the "standard" powder measures can be used with it.
    Jon

Boolit Master

I have one I bought from CH last year and drove to their factory to pick it up. Owner Dave Davidson, Beth the office worker, and their machinists are first-rate and were nice enough to give me a tour while I was there.

The press uses standard linkage and I have it for small jobs. With it's four die stations, it is very versatile.

You can buy their powder measure or use the one of your choice. I also have their priming system, but it appears to take some breaking in and setting up correctly in three dimensions to make it work correctly; I am still fiddling with it. The press is all-steel and sets on-top of the bench, so it doesn't get in your way.

Roundnoser is partially correct. The '333' is aluminum, while the '444' is steel. You can get a version of it called the Pistol Champ that is setup for loading pistol rounds, but the press in any configuration will handle any round capable of being loaded with 7/8x14 dies.

Here's mine:
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 03-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Le Loup Solitaire

C&H 333's &444's.

I've got a couple of 333's, a 444 and a couple of original one station C&H's. They've all got good leverage, certainly enough for any pistol cartridge and some of the rifle ones as well. I have easily full length resized 30-06 on the single station models. If you do that on the multiple station models it is best to use the rear middle station. To answer your question directly; they have good and substantial leverage for any normal reloading, but I would not attempt case reforming or swaging with them. They are not intended for that and there is no sense in putting that kind of stress on the press. You do not mention which rifle cartridges you wish to reload. I never went any larger than 30-06 so I can't speak for the likes of the bigger magnums etc. If you are considering working with any of the big boomers I would suggest giving C&H a call first and ask them what they advise. Good luck with your choice. LLS