Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B&M Powder Measure

Boolit Master

For those looking for a fast powder measure that accurately measures all powders including those of the long stick variety, the Quick-Measure is supposed to fill the bill. It operates similar to a B&M, but the interchangeable drop-tube is attached to the measure and spring-loaded. The load rate is something like 100-rounds in a little over 4-minutes.

Here is mine mounted on the bench. I haven't used it yet, but plan to load lods of 7.62mm and 30-06 shortly and will report on it speed and accuracy.

Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I can't figure what the brass tube is for in the photo (post #17) I posted. It looks like a powder measure I used when I use to shoot black powder a lot.

I just received a Sinclair International 2011 catalog today and they have the Harrell powder measures as well as the Culver on p. 78 for those that may have gotten the same catalog. There are five models shown from $200-350.
    Last edited by ColColt; 03-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    I think that the brass tube is drop tube for black powder.May be wrong.

The Sinclair web site prices are about $25.00 higher than Buffalo Arms if memory serves me correctly.

ColColt,
    The price asked is what a new on with shipping would cost. It boils down to how bad you want one. I tried a B&M several years back and never warmed up to it. It was accurate, just did not like how it operated.

You are right about the Ohaus DU-O-Measure being consistently excellent. I have 2 of them and a schuetzen measure and there is not a nickle difference in consistency when using ball powders or small stick such as 4198 or 4895. I have an old Ideal No.5 that will give any of them a run for the money. It comes down to using a consistent motion and rhythm, especially when cutting stick powders.

I do best when sitting and resting my elbow on my knee or chair arm to get the best feel when throwing the handles. Since you got good results with your Ohaus, you will probably get pretty good results with any similar rotor cavity measure.

The Ideal is the biggest pain when changing loads to dial in the weight I want. The Ohaus measures are easier, but still take quite a few trial adjustments to zero in. It is hard to repeat a setting after changing due to the lack of good graduation markings. The Harrell is very repeatable when set to the same markings and number of clicks moved when switching from one load to another and back, and that is the biggest reason I purchased one. I think the schuetzen is the best of the harrell's for smaller capacity cases.

The drop tubes that come with the schuetzen are 4" long, and I have not had any problem with that. Since the thrower is so small, they do look long. Don't know about using it without a tube in place, as powder would probably hang up in the collet fingers or the housing threads if collet removed. You can not drop powder into a case with no tube unless you use a funnel at least.

Good luck on your decision. A lot of decent throwers out there to choose from.

Boolit Master
    Oldschool my schuetzen came with two brass fittings one for the drop tube,which has the slits and one that is smooth that allows you to throw charges without the drop tube. No problem with powder hanging up.

Dwight,
    Is the other fitting usable for filling cases, or just for dropping powder to a pan or funnel?

ColColt,
    That brass tube in the box is the charge tube, what actually does the measure. You insert it in the measure, move the handle to fill it, then remove it and funnel the powder into your case.

Boolit Master
    It works fine with 38 cases and up.
    dwight

One of the powder measure I've considered(Harrell's or B&M) and I can't recall which, seems to have a static problem from what I've read in several places. Nothing a dryer sheet couldn't handle I'm sure.

The Ohaus has been good. I loaded 4.5 gr of 231 today in some 38 cases with 158 gr LSWC's and decided for the heck of it to check each of the 25 I had loaded after I got it set for that weight. Everyone was either right on or .1 gr high. That's the best I've done with it and surely can't complain.

oldscool, that Ohaus on the right looks like the metering rod got bent somewhere along the line. That and the hopper is the two most fragile parts on it. I've had to get another one off ebay just for the hopper as mine wobbled side to side due to me over tightening the two screws that hold it to the body many years ago and the holes cracked. The lid was a little warped too. Can't figure how that happened but I fixed it good as new by taking a heat gun on low and lightly passing it over the lid while pressing down on the table...worked great. Over heat it and it's toast.

That brass tube in the box is the charge tube, what actually does the measure. You insert it in the measure, move the handle to fill it, then remove it and funnel the powder into your case.
    You mean there's no provision for just putting a case under the drop tube, working the handle to charge the case and set it aside? That's a little odd having to remove the measure and in a separate operation, have to funnel the charge into the case. or did i miss something? that's sort of like taking a black powder flask and using a measure graduated up to 150 gr, set it on 75 and just pour the powder from flash to measure until it fills. You can tell I'm not familiar with B&M's..

Boolit Master
    Oldschool if you do not have the other brass fitting and do not intend to drop compressed charges you could just cut off one of your drop tubes,shorten from the top, leaving it stick down maybe an inch or so.just a thought.

ColColt,
    That is pretty much the drill from what I remember. No provision to charge straight to the case. One of the current B&M owners can elaborate. I don't have an issue with static in my loading cave.

dwight,
    Yes I know I could cut the tube, (you need to leave the top bevel to insure all powder funnels thru tube). and would also re add a concave bevel at bottom for the case mouth. I just see no reason to as it works fine for me as is.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dwight hardy View Post
    Price diffrence between the RCBS with Micro adjustnment (midway 180.00) Harrells precision 6-60 grain( Buffalo arms 220.00 ) $40.00.
    Dwight, the RCBS Competition Powder Measure with Pistol and Rifle Drums and Micro Adj Screw is $180.

A simple Uniflow with either standard or small cylinder is $85. Add the Micro Adj Screw for $40 for a total of $125

Not saying the Harrells isn't worth every penny, though.
    I use a lot of Unique and always have problems with my Uniflow throwing a consistant charge.

-John
    Last edited by John 242; 03-19-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I saw one similar to the one pictured in post #17 at a garage sale on Saturday. It was a bit older, had a brass reservoir and the glass on the front was cracked (but didn't appear to affect operation). The guy wanted $35 for it. I didn't buy it because I didn't need it and didn't know if anyone here would be interested. The guy lives pretty close, so if you are set on this type of measure I can go ask if he sold it.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

ColColt and oldscool:
    Both of my Ohaus measures got the original hopper replaced with a MEC powder baffle and powder bottle. Just carve off most of the male threads on the baffle until it's a snug fit in the measure. A little glue (don't get any on the rotor) and you have a sturdy fix that adds a powder baffle to your measure. You can do the same thing with just the bottle if you don't care about removing it or having a baffle.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    You mean there's no provision for just putting a case under the drop tube, working the handle to charge the case and set it aside? That's a little odd having to remove the measure and in a separate operation, have to funnel the charge into the case. or did i miss something? that's sort of like taking a black powder flask and using a measure graduated up to 150 gr, set it on 75 and just pour the powder from flash to measure until it fills. You can tell I'm not familiar with B&M's..
    That's exactly right. The "measure" is the brass tube, the rest is a powder container with a separate area with a window from which the measure is filled. You then need a funnel to fill the case. I do all this to relax, the slow process is relaxing for me. I don't want to hurry through the process, I want to craft ammunition.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    I saw one similar to the one pictured in post #17 at a garage sale on Saturday. It was a bit older, had a brass reservoir and the glass on the front was cracked (but didn't appear to affect operation). The guy wanted $35 for it. I didn't buy it because I didn't need it and didn't know if anyone here would be interested. The guy lives pretty close, so if you are set on this type of measure I can go ask if he sold it.

Regards,

Stew
    Thanks but I don't' have any use for that one since it's a B&M style. I don't have one of those. I cracked the hopper on my DU-O-measure years ago but managed to find another to fit it, although it required buying an entire unit off ebay. I sort of like the looks and function of Harrell's Schuetzen and may pick up one of those. what the heck, you only live once and I've no wife to spend money on so...I've saved quite a bit on that alone.