Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: colt plowhandle grip frames

colt plowhandle grip frames

i have a uberti 1873 style colt with the 4 3/4 inch barrel. nice gun but my huge hands get the knuckl burred almost everytime i shoot this fun gun. i read somewhere in the past where a fella took a larger handled gripfeame...[ maybe a 1860 colt gripframe]...and installed it on the 73 peacemaker colt...is this an unheard of procedure or is it fairly common. at least i think the 1860 is just a little longer plowhandle anyway....

be kinda like putting a superblackhawk gripframe on a regular blackhawk i think...somebody er anybody heard of doing this modification to the colts...or am i imagining the whole thing? ...

thanks for the info in advance....
    Ted

Boolit Bub
    I have never done it but it will work. In the book NO SECOND PLACE WINNER by Bill Jordan there is a picture of a SAA with a 1860 grip frame on it (I think). No reason for it not to work.

Boolit Master
    Some gunrag writer does this - possibly John Taffin. VTI Gun Parts has the part you'll need.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

nother question along the same lines...does anyone know if the ruger blackhawk grips are the same as the 73 model p colt grips? if so then i remember putting pachmyer grips on the blackhawk i used in the 70's that seemed so accurate for me. i recon i could just get a set of these n try huh?

seems to me that these grips were the same as the colt configuration but my pooooor ol memorie cant seem to spring this one up for some reasson....i think i have fallen n cant get up...lol.
    Last edited by bigted; 03-05-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: poor memorie...haaaa

Boolit Master
    Ted,

I don't think the regular Ruger Blackhawk grips will work on a Model P. Now the 50th anniversary has the same grip frame except for the location of the frame studs. I have a 44 50th anniversary Ruger and bought some Pacmayr grips meant for a SAA Colt to put on it. After redrilling for the frame studs the grips work fine.

For generations, shooters of the Colt SAA have curled their little finger under the grip and thereby not get their knuckled hit, nor rest the pistol on their trigger fingers. Neither of which are conducive to accuracy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I just got a grip frame for an 1860 from VTI to fit to a Colt. First thing noticed is the screw size is bigger for the Colt, will need to drill out the grip frame. Also I need to make sure the screw holes are located in the right spot. Next is the grip frame is a little wider than the Colt, will need to take it down some.

rite on john...i hope you keep me posted about your project with the colt and the 1860 grip frame.

Custom wood grips maybe????
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

In Remembrance

Bugted,

The 1860 Army "grip frame" will fit the Uberti 1873 frame as long as you get Uberti parts. I have done this on several Uberti SAA revolvers for friends with big hands. The 1860 grip will have to be "fitted" as it is not an exact fit. These revolvers normally are assembled then the trigger guard/frame area filed to match. The oversized grip itself is then contoured and the back-strap/frame junction matched up. This involves some careful filing and grinding. Also depending on the year of your 1873's maunfacture the screw holes may be a different size.

Boolit Grand Master

I did that conversion and wrote it up for NC O W S it was in the Shootist about 3 years ago. It's not hard to do you need to modify the grip just a little and trim the grip frame to match the bototm of the frame. I don't remember if I saved the pictures or not. I bought a broken 1860 from Cabela's bargain counter and used the grip for an Uberti 1873. Gave it to a fellow who had the same problem you had.

My idea came from an old prospector my Grandfather knew who had an original Colt done up the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

Very interesting thread. I have medium large hands and the SAAs have always felt
    really small to me, not comfortable. I have an 1860 replica, and it seems far better. I'll
    keep my eye open for an 1860 grip frame.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Personally I prefer this grip / frame

B.

Boolit Master

Just get little girl hands like mine. I knew they were good for something!