Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Then there are computer "stoopid" people like me that have a hard time getting onto the boolits website. I`m still holding my breath about a printed copy will come available.Robert
    Getting to the book is every bit as simple as getting here, one mouse click and you have it. Want to print it? A couple more mouse clicks and pages are running out of your printer.

Glen hasn't even made a hint that it will ever be published in paper book form. Now that its published on the web it would probably be very difficult to get a publisher to even consider it.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 05-28-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

DukeInMaine,

I just printed everything through page 40 and text size is normal for me.

Was wondering if you got your printing issues resolved? You never came back with an answer to the large font size issue.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by That'll Do View Post
    Another idea would be to download the .pdf file to a CD or USB flash drive, then take it to your local FedEx Office (formerly known as Kinko's) or Office Depot or Office Max, and have them print it out. It shouldn't be too terribly expensive, and you'll save your printer from a workout.
    I looked into this at FedEx (Kinkos) and I almost fell over.

$20.00 for them to print out the entire book in black & white plus $6.00 for the binding

However, for them to print it in color . . . $116.00 plus $6.00 for the binding.

I can buy one heck of a lot of ink for $116.00.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

thanks great info will read

Boolit Grand Master

Once I finally got around to printing out the book from the pdf file I discovered that its much easier to spot formatting errors on paper than a computer screen. I also discovered that pictures that look fine on the computer, well not so much printed on plain paper. I went through the entire book line by line fixing the errors and making many of the pictures larger.

I printed the book a second time and found even more errors and the pictures while better still weren't quite there. I went through the entire book yet again and made many of the pictures larger and fixed more formatting errors. It should be noted that the formatting errors were mine in converting the original document to html and then using the html to go to pdf. The text is of course still the same, Glen's work remained intact through all of this.

Third printing looks much better. Its embarassing to me how poor the very first publishing looked compared to now. The point of this story is . . . Anyone that has printed an earlier version and wants to keep this book as a permenant part of their library may want to invest the ink to print a new book. A work this exceptional deserves to look its best and I may be close now.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners in pdf

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 06-14-2011 at 08:15 PM.

CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I looked into this at FedEx (Kinkos) and I almost fell over.

$20.00 for them to print out the entire book in black & white plus $6.00 for the binding

However, for them to print it in color . . . $116.00 plus $6.00 for the binding.

I can buy one heck of a lot of ink for $116.00.

Rick
    I took the file to Office Depot yesterday and had them print it in B/W and 3-hole punch it -- a bit over $11.00. I wanted to put it in a thin 3-ring binder that would protect it properly and still allow it to lay flat on my bench while I referred to it. Could have had it bound for an additional $4. I'll reprint the color pages myself and add them in.
    I'm a longtime lurker and this should have been my first post, but I got caught up in another thread and couldn't stop myself... This is a fine work of art and love on all the participants' parts and I thank you. I gave it a quick skim yesterday and have now settled in to reading it cover to cover. I've been casting off and on for about 30 years and have not been satisfied with the information in the various casting manuals out there already. This fills a huge chasm in my casting knowledge. This forum has helped me with quick-fixes many times in the past because none of my problems have been exactly new. Thanks to y'all, I didn't give up on a very rewarding aspect of my gun nuttiness. Hopefully I can contribute in some small way in the future.
    Now I gotta go call RCBS... my syphillitic Pro-Melt needs some medicine.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Grand Master

Good read! I somehow managed to save it as a pdf file. I do most my reading on my laptop screen anyway.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Is there some way to put this book on a Kindle or Nook e-reader?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Mold
    This is a good read. A very good resource.

This is great. Thank you to all who had a part in making it available.
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” - John Adams

Boolit Master
    My thanks as well. My lovely wife and I have been sitting in the living room (hopefully!) watching the Detroit Tigers beat the yankees while the printer made us a copy. Tomorrow morning over to the bookstore to get it spiral bound so it can lay flat on my bench to reference.

What a wonderful reference work.

Rich

I started casting boolets in the late 'sixties, and have shot in CBA and Schuetzen matches for nearly twenty years. There is a lot to be learned from this slender guide.

Boolit Master

the pdf link will print text only,great book

Boolit Master

hey dukeInMaine what is the title for your book? how does one go about buying a copy??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    the pdf link will print text only, great book
    Text only? If the pictures aren't printing I would think it is the set up/configuration of your computer. The pictures are there and should print.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Third printing looks much better. Its embarassing to me how poor the very first publishing looked compared to now. The point of this story is . . . Anyone that has printed an earlier version and wants to keep this book as a permenant part of their library may want to invest the ink to print a new book. A work this exceptional deserves to look its best and I may be close now.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners in pdf

Rick
    Rick, I suspect that my printed copy is from the 2nd version(1st PDF?Not sure). I do know that the pictures are now larger than my copy. I'm not going to attempt another printing until I buy a new printer. I have ruined my printer using cheap mail order ink(a warning for others tempted by low prices).

I assume that the book will be on LASC for the foreseeable future.

BTW, does anyone have a good recommendation for a printer. I'm not interested in commercial quality but not interested in the lowest price regardless of quality either. I'm partial to Canon printers because I can buy colors separately. HP makes you buy expensive color cartridges all-in-one.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    Is there some way to put this book on a Kindle or Nook e-reader?
    For the kindle it should be just a matter of hooking the usb cable up and your OS iding the kindle as a mass storage device.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I assume that the book will be on LASC for the foreseeable future.

BTW, does anyone have a good recommendation for a printer.
    Just last month paid the hosting fees for lasc.us for the next 13 months, even should something horrible happen to me today the site will be there at least that long.

A good friend that got me into computers in the 80's owned a computer sales/repair shop, he was also an Epson factory authorized warranty repair shop. Because of that I've always had Epson printers, never had any reason to change and have always been impressed with them, only ever bought a new one to move up to newer technology. Seperate ink cartridges for each color.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I've asked a question in the boolit lube section here that comes from this book. If Glen or Robert vist here, or anyone else can help, please check that section & look at my question about a cross referrence of grease.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Good read! I somehow managed to save it as a pdf file. I do most my reading on my laptop screen anyway.
    Same here, I have a hospital type under the bed table and a cpvc holder for the LT at the right angle for lying in bed and reading from the LT. Just increase the font size and it works out great for me and helps with sleepy time..

In Remembrance

Question

Hmmmmm.

I'm having trouble getting the pdf to work on any of the Apple machines at the house.

Keep getting this error message:

/Downloads/Fryxell_Book_textonly2-3.pdf could not be opened, because an unknown error occurred.

I've never seen this error ever before with anything Adobe or pdf related. The more I try to figure it out. . .

Latest versions of Acrobat on the big Apple (OS 10.6 Snow Leopard) and latest version of Adobe Reader on the laptops (OS 10.5.8 Leopard and OS 10.6 Snow Leopard).

No idea what's going on. Will head to the LASC site and see if anything is different.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast