Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Forster Trimmers

Forster Trimmers

Any of you fellas sharpen your trimmer blades on your Forster case Trimmers?
    Mine is getting dull and it is a pain in the butt to find someone up here in Canada that sells replacement cutters. So i was thinking if possible can it be sharpened.

Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

You can get them from Forster

Not only can you get them directly from Forster, but they will sharpen them for you I think for $5. Maybe the customs duties make it cost prohibitive....Don't know.
    Check their web site.

Boolit Master
    I've sharpened the cutter on my RCBS trimmer before with a dremmel and a small cutting wheel.

Use the face of the wheel at the correct angle with very light pressure to dress it back into shape.

Boolit Master
    A good tool and die man can sharpen just about anything!

I found one completely by chance that sharpens my unibits/stepbits to better than new.
    I used to think they could not be sharpened.

Boolit Master

I have several forester trimmers that I have picked up at gunshows. I only use them for small batches. I have found the Lee trimmer with the cutter and length gauge mounted in a drill press to work way faster and much less hassle for batches of 20 or more.

The OP is right, it is a real hassle getting Forester bits and pieces here in Canada. It is a good product but the Canadian Wholesalers simply will not stock many accessories.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had good luck dressing the cutting edge of my trimmer by using a fine (600 grit) Eze-Lap diamond file. A few strokes on each cutting edge while maintaining the same cutting angle does wonders.

Boolit Grand Master
    My skill set doesn't allow for re-sharpening of the Forster cutters. I buy them from the usual suspects (MidwayUSA, Grafs, etc). The shafts DO come in varying sizes--make certain of your shaft diameter prior to ordering.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Fellas thanks for the feed back. I think next set of days off she is a trip to the fella that sharpens my carbide saw blades.
    Actually never thought of that.

Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Grand Master

I sharpen my Forster cutters (I have 3 trimmers) all the time. I use a small medium stone and cutting oil, doesn't take much and I count and use the same number of strokes on each blade.

Larry Gibson