Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Buffalo Hunters casting bullets? Fact or fiction.

Boolit Grand Master

The larger hunting parties had a blacksmith wagon in addition to the cook wagons. Both wagons had coal bins on them if needed.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-12-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    I recently read on another site that the original poster, Harry Eales, passed away late last year. His thread outlived him.

Boolit Master
    just stumbled onto this topic - I started messing with lead boolits 50 years ago and cast several thousand 32/20 pills using one of those tiny metho burners - a large bean can for a lead pot and a ladle I made from a ketchup bottle lid - that metho burner was as good as most small gas rings - it all worked so long as i stayed out of the wind.

I grew up in the Red River Valley of Northern Minnesota and North Dakota.

At the time the pioneers moved into this country there were NO trees except once in 30 - 40 sections of land you'd see a single big cottonwood tree.

Except in the river, stream and broken bottoms. Those were all full of trees. And still are today.

Oak, ash, elm 2 to 3 feet across 20 feet in the air. I mean MASSIVE trees. 40 acre patches of Wild Plum and chokecherry. Hackberry trees, here and there a little cluster of aspen or poplar where seeds washed down from the hills.

Like many other resources wood was not always scarce, just had to be planned for in advance.
    When you found a good supply you'd fill the wagons against the days when you don't.

You people think that those hunters did not eat? If you can boil a pot of soup you can melt lead.
    Just a question of time and patience.

The simple fact that these guys ere shooting hundreds of Buffs in one day made it so they had to reload and in order to reload they had to make boolits too.

I can't believe people haven't thrown a Glass bottle in a campfire? The melt easily and are fun to watch turn into a glob of glass. Glass requires much more heat than lead does.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I enjoyed reading this post very much .

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910