Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: got my lathe up and running

Boolit Master

got my lathe up and running

I bought a used grizzly g4002 lathe this winter for $1100. Finally got it all wired up and usable. Actually a pretty nice machine for the money.. Many projects to finish now

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by arjacobson View Post
    I bought a used grizzly g4002 lathe this winter for $1100. Finally got it all wired up and usable. Actually a pretty nice machine for the money.. Many projects to finish now
    I have a 12" Sears lathe made in about 1955. I paid $1000 for it and it came with a 36" box brake and more than that worth of attachments, accessories, tool steels, reamers, large drills etc. etc. etc., over 20 boring bars alone. love it and sometimes just sit around trying to think up projects for it. I made a PP mold a few days ago and a really cute aluminum powder funnel today that won't fall over when I set it on a 45-70 brass then let go of it.
    They are a lot like having a set of hard Arkansas stones, they sometimes sit for long periods of time but when I use them, they pay for themselves over and over.
    I also have one of the chinese mill lathes that my ex boss gave me when we retired but I have to be real careful with it to do perfect work.
    I have a friend that has a machine shop and does CNC work for military and aerospace. I go there often to check his recycle bin and often get cut-offs that I use a lot of. I get them cheaper than at the scrap yard just because he would rather I use them than he bother with them. He had several of those fruit basket pallets full of short pieces, (about 2" to 6" of 2" 6061 could be 2024) and still may have it. I make lots of stuff with it, and am getting low so I am going to check to see soon. If you would like some, let me know.

Boolit Master
    That sounds kind of what I do. There is a local machine shop that pretty much does everything from welding/fabrication to machining. They always have drops and left over pcs.. The lathe is in my garage but my bridgeport is in the other shop across town. I really need to move one or the other...All in all I like the grizzly. It has a large through spindle hole and everything works on the old girl. I didn't even have to adjust gibs.. Could use some paint touchups but i will probably leave it like it is until later..

Boolit Master

Grizzly manual for the G4002:

http://cdn4.grizzly.com/manuals/g4002_m.pdf

Parts list & prices. I've bought 2 gibs for my Birmingham 12x36 from this list.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/g4002/parts

Dutch