WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BTSniper 308 custom die progress!

Banned
    Put me down for a set when they are done. YOu know I'm good for it!

My new beltfed is killing me on projectile costs.

Vendor Sponsor

Official offer for preorder list is coming soon. I"m getting everything in line and things are looking good.

Thanks

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

ill be in for a set.

what do you think about using size dies for cast bullets to draw down the 9mm case for a 30 cal jacket?

SW

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Wolverine View Post
    ill be in for a set.

what do you think about using size dies for cast bullets to draw down the 9mm case for a 30 cal jacket?

SW

As in Lee sizing dies? maybe???? I have notice for some reason the lee dies tend to scratch the cases more then anythign else I have tried. I do plan to include a simple, quality sizing die for reducing 5.7 brass with the 308 set and will put together some more to offer in other various sizes too. Sizing the 9mm all the way to 308 is somthing I myself have not acomplished yet. The samples where given to me from the testing stages of an air driven press I have coming.

Now that hydrolic press you built there SW may be just the thing to reduce cases with. I don't know?

I finally finished the range report post with all the data. These bullets certainly have some potential.

BTSniper
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post

Sizing the 9mm all the way to 308 is somthing I myself have not acomplished yet. The samples where given to me from the testing stages of an air driven press I have coming.

Now that hydrolic press you built there SW may be just the thing to reduce cases with. I don't know?

I finally finished the range report post with all the data. These bullets certainly have some potential.

BTSniper
    Does this translate to:

I (as in you BT) am going to develop a set of progressive dies in ever smaller diameter to take 9mm down to .308 or that you are going to only have a single die for a “super press” or that you are considering the idea and have not figured where to go with it?

Sounds weird but I think you get the point.

Vendor Sponsor

OH it takes more then one sizing die to size a 9mm down to .308 even with power or a super press. Maybe even a reaneal inbetween. Yes I would say atleast 3 die steps, .345 then ??? and finally a .303ish die.

Yes I can put together a set of dies and I shall have to see how well they work first before I can officially offer any.

Officially I (me personaly) have not taken a 9mm smaller then .345 but that was on a Lee classic press.

Again the samples I posted pics of was given to me by the gentlemen building the air driven press for me.

All the target pics posted where from 5.7x28 brass.

This airdriven press looks to operate very well and I may just consider offering reduced jackets ready to swage (RTS).

I'll certainly keep everyone posted as to my results and any offers I plan to make. Personally I think it is a bit of work to try with a standard reloading press to use a 9mm in a 308, maybe in a super press but with the 5.7 avialble and shooting less then 1 MOA it sure is a good choice for 308 jackets if you can find some.

Hope they may have cleared it up a bit. I will have to experiment a bit first and let you guys know my results in this project.

BTSniper
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    BT,

5/16" od soft copper tubing is .3125

Seems like a likely and readily available jacket material, and a bit less cumbersome than three complete drawing dies. I'm not the die maker, but a single sizing die could go down to .306 or so, and close the base?

A smaller size (but more costly) brass tubing could be obtained in short lengths (12" and up) at a hobby/craft store. My choice would be the soft copper from a plumbing supply.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I make jackets from tube. You still need 3 dies & precision punches.

First die closes the end of the tube to a conical point.

Second die reduces the diameter of the tube

Third die flattens the end of the jacket.

The punches are very precise, and need to be matched to the tubing you will be using. The cut length of the tubing is very important, so you will need a precision saw to cut tubes, Coiled refrigeration tube is not straight enough, and will need to be straightened first.

Cumbersome? very, compared to a reduced pistol case.

Tubing Jacket Tutorial

B.

Boolit Master
    Ok so I am just getting into this world of fun. So I am unsure what all has been posted. I read through this thread and am curious if you make dies for the .224? Maybe I should pm but I read you had a bunch in there already.

Moderator Emeritus

utah,
    I'm sure, BT will respond to you ASAP.
    He hasn't offered any .224 dies as of yet,
    I'm think he has plans to ???

But, If your looking for general info about .224 swaging
    You should probably start a new thread.
    are you thinking of using fired 22lr cases as jackets ?
    there are lots of guys here that are doing that.
    some have even made there own dies.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Yeah I have been looking into it a bit. I do have have the jacket uniforming die already. just curious about the others dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica2xo View Post
    I make jackets from tube. You still need 3 dies & precision punches.

First die closes the end of the tube to a conical point.

Second die reduces the diameter of the tube

Third die flattens the end of the jacket.

The punches are very precise, and need to be matched to the tubing you will be using. The cut length of the tubing is very important, so you will need a precision saw to cut tubes, Coiled refrigeration tube is not straight enough, and will need to be straightened first.

Cumbersome? very, compared to a reduced pistol case.

Tubing Jacket Tutorial

B.

Thanks for the clarification. I have yet to venture into the world of tubing jackets. But I figure, "Why not? I'm saving so much money now I'm ready to retire!!!"

It IS fun though!
    Bob

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Ok so I am just getting into this world of fun. So I am unsure what all has been posted. I read through this thread and am curious if you make dies for the .224? Maybe I should pm but I read you had a bunch in there already.

Still in R&D with the 224. I do have a custom reamer on the way so progress will begine soon with the 224s

Thanks

BTSniper
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    As in Lee sizing dies? maybe???? I have notice for some reason the lee dies tend to scratch the cases more then anythign else I have tried. I do plan to include a simple, quality sizing die for reducing 5.7 brass with the 308 set and will put together some more to offer in other various sizes too. Sizing the 9mm all the way to 308 is somthing I myself have not acomplished yet. The samples where given to me from the testing stages of an air driven press I have coming.

BTSniper
    im gonna order one and try it. the lee size dies are on sale at midway for 15$. i might have to open up the mouth a little on teh lathe to make it fit, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

SW

another thought i had was using 223 brass. alot easier to find that 5.7 and you could trim to legnth for whatever bullet weight you wanted.

SW
    A large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life, by him who interests his heart in everything. - Laurence Sterne

Vendor Sponsor

BEST GROUP I EVER SHOT @ 100 YRDS!

Just got back from a day of shooting in Eastern Oregon. Stopped at the local range first with my dad to check zeros before heading to ground squirrel and rock chuck fields.

Night before I had loaded up 50 of my custom 308 bullets made from FN5.7 brass cases all weight adjusted for 176 grains. I was running short on time so I set the powder dispencer to throw my proven load of 72.5 grains of RL-22 and after checking only about 5 of the powder charges for accuracy I finished off the rest staight into the case. Point being I was able to shoot the group below without even measuring each and every powder charge to the "exact" tenth of a grain.

These where the first three shots of the day out of my 300WM Savage 112BVSS. Amazing what a real shooting bench/table is capable of vs. me shooting off a folding table in the woods.

Three shot group measure .523" from outside to outside. So .523 - .308 = .215" group center to center!

This is the best 3 shot group I have ever shot from any rifle at any distance. I am able to get consistant 3 shot groups in the .3s with my 338 RUM and 300grain SMKs but this is my first group in the .2s Pretty awesome considering it was with my custom bullets made from my custom dies!

I did score a good sized chuck at a little over 100 yrds off hand with this bullet. Blew him over twenty feet into the air and the carnage was pretty gruesome! Also shot quite a few little ground squirells with it too but wasn't mush left of them to confirm I did see a couple pretty good explosions though.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BTSniper
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 04-24-2011 at 01:40 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Now the wait for some.366 dies begins
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! I'm on it!
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

Made 200 bullets this morning. Die is working great. Check out the video and pics.
    Click on video to play.

BT

BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Awesome! I am definitely going to have to have a set of these!

Armorer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast