Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Ruger Only" .45 Colt mold - Loadings

They're in Long Colt brass. These monsters won't fit in the cylinder of my Casull.

Boolit Master

ok i got this mold on the way it just looked way to cool to pass up
    who is shootting this in a 454 casull. whats your load
    have you tryed this in a muzzleloader (yet) i think i will ok i know i will
    it just looks like a deer gitter
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    who is shootting this in a 454 casull. whats your load
    I had to seat them a little past the crimp grove to get them to fit in the cylinder. I did not crimp, just removed the flare. I fired five or six of them one at a time with one left in a cylinder. It did not pull.

I worked up to 31gr h110. 1400+ fps out of my srh 7.5". I did not see any signs of pressure, primers looked good and they were easy to extract, but that was me and my gun. Be safe. Start low and work up. This was the max load for the 300xtp in the hornady book. Accuracy was good but is was starting to lead on me. I will have to work on that.

Recoil didn't seem so bad after I shot my 500 loaded with ingots (502 700 Grand canyon). What can I say, I am a recoil junky

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

20g of W296 gets you a bit over 1300 fps in my 4.75 Casull. Real low spread and good accuracy. Any body seeing velocities like this? Seems kinda high IMO, but the driving bands are pretty small.

Oh yeah, this is a LC load.

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey7821 View Post
    20g of W296 gets you a bit over 1300 fps in my 4.75 Casull. Real low spread and good accuracy. Any body seeing velocities like this? Seems kinda high IMO, but the driving bands are pretty small.
    I loaded these in the 45 colt case above 21gr. h110. I did not get a reading above 983fps. I was quite surprised as the velocity was way lower than I was expecting. I shot these out of a 454 SRH 7.5". Accuracy wasn't bad just a bit slower than I wanted.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Question ***?

Well now, that is puzzling. I shot about 20 more to confirm and still seeing right at 1300 fps. Maybe the brain trust can join in on this one

Boolit Master

im going shooting on thursday my start load is 25gr of H110 up to 27.5
    13" encore 454

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    im going shooting on thursday my start load is 25gr of H110 up to 27.5
    13" encore 454
    Think LUCKYDAWG13 sent me a picture of this group that he shot. Ruger Only boolit in the "Penta" point style. 27.5gr H110.

Looks as if he is on to something here!!!

Tom
    Last edited by GARCIA; 09-03-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Master

tom thanks for the post

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    I loaded these in the 45 colt case above 21gr. h110. I did not get a reading above 983fps. I was quite surprised as the velocity was way lower than I was expecting. I shot these out of a 454 SRH 7.5". Accuracy wasn't bad just a bit slower than I wanted.

Jerry Jr.
    The OAL makes a big difference. Bbailey7821's velocity is way above expectation.

Talking Hmmmmm....

Okay, Gentlemen. I shall check these for the third time.

Boolit Master

I cast some up weekend before last and went to shoot them last week, but I had insufficient crimp. Boolits were jumping crimp after 3 rounds, so I stopped shooting and took 'em home for re-crimping.

Shot them up tonight and got a couple of good groups. I shot these from a NM BH with a 5.5 inch barrel. These are 5 round groups shot 50 ft off a rest.

MP 452-297 (dropped at 322 gr, air cooled 92-4-2 alloy)
    WLP primer
    23.5 gr H110

I need to cast up more! This BH has .451 throats and was spitting and I am getting lined up to have the throats reamed.

Boolit Buddy
    "This BH has .451 throats and was spitting and I am getting lined up to have the throats reamed"

An 11* forcing cone should take care of the "spitting".

Boolit Master

Thanks for that bit of advice. I am getting a price quote for both throat reaming and forcing cone reaming.

FINALLY got to test my new blackhawk, so I decided to check terminal performance of Mihec's boolits too. (posted at Ruger Forum too.

I finally got to take my new Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt, with 7 ½” barrel. The gun has a surprisingly light pull….now. Though it was 6# out of the box, with taking one side of the trigger return spring off its “hook” and firing a few dry fire shots while strongly pushing forward on the hammer, it smoothed out the pull and now it breaks at about 4#
    The finish is nice, and the cylinder carries up nicely, and locks tight. At the range, I figured I’d see how the sights needed to be adjusted, as well as chronograph some home-brew ammo.

Ammo:

The loading is a 325 grain hollow point or the flat nose version of the same bullet over 13.0 grains of HS-6. From John Linebaugh’s hand-loading data, this is a “middle of the road” loading for “Ruger only” loads.

The bullets were cast from an mp mold that is a Cramer style. This allows the pins to be reversed so that a flat point bullet can be cast instead of a hollow point. The hollow points were cast with a 20:1 lead/tin alloy and weighed in at 325 grains, while the solid version was wheel weight with 1% tin added. These were water dropped. The bullet lube was a mix of 1# beeswax, 3 Tablespoons Vaseline, and a tablespoon of Johnsons paste wax.

The bullets chronographed anywhere from 1050 to 1150, with the mean velocity at 1120fps. The Bisley grip is VERY comfortable, and the recoil felt negligible. The first group, fired from the bench, was low (the rear sights were at their lowest setting) but tight, the flier above was my fault. After shooting 50 rounds of these plain base bullets, sized to .454” there was some minor leading, which was easily not sticky, in the least.

Terminal Performance:
    The hollow points penetrated anywhere between 20 to 24 inches (24” is the end of the trap). The solids ALL penetrated to the steel arresting plate at 24”, with no expansion. The hollow points held together nicely (only occasionally would one of the petals tear off) and consistently expanded to between .75 to .80 inches.

Summary:
    LOVE this gun. Time will tell about whether or not the cylinders will need to be opened up. So far…no major problems with leading or with accuracy…from the gun anyway. The next batch of bullets, I’ll size to .452 and see how well those run through the gun. These hollow point rounds look like the ticket for deer. The solid bullets look good for tougher animals like bear and boar. I will next try out the solid bullets poured with 20:1 and see if they will mushroom a LITTLE, as I’d like SOME expansion on boar.

Boolit Master

Outstanding report pps.
    Thank you for taking the time to post your findings.
    On the solids, before testing 20:1, maybe try straight WW without water dropping them.
    Or better yet, try 50% WW and 50% soft, not water dropped. May have to add a little tin to get nice crisp fill out.

What material are you using in your bullet trap?
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vendor Sponsor

Off topic

I have some PB and GC Ruger only molds (solid ones) in 4 cav. brass on hands

PM me if you are interested
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
    Outstanding report pps.
    Thank you for taking the time to post your findings.
    On the solids, before testing 20:1, maybe try straight WW without water dropping them.
    Or better yet, try 50% WW and 50% soft, not water dropped. May have to add a little tin to get nice crisp fill out.

What material are you using in your bullet trap?
    I use shredded rubber mulch (about 90# of the stuff, in an 18"X18"X24" deep box, that I carry upside down in the bed of my truck...I just back to the end of the range and tip the box onto it's legs and I'm ready to shoot!

Has anyone tried to cycle these in a Marlin? I'm keen to get one, but I suspect the COL will be too much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast