RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: re barell a 1895???

Boolit Mold

re barell a 1895???

ive got a question . ive got a marlin 1895 45-70 with the micro groove barell ( never could spell barell right) i wonde could you have a new deep cut rifling one put on with less than Donald Trumps assests in you bank? it seems it would solve the cast boolit vs jacketed problem wouldnt it . i read my riflings only .003 deep . any opinions? id appreciate it . it might keep me from making another in a long line of mistakes . money spending mistakes i mean thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Having it rebarreled may cost almost as much as a new rifle.
    How does it shoot now? You might just need a fatter bullet. How big are you shooting?

Brad

Smile

I don't have a Marlin microgroove rifle, so my comments are a result of reading a LOT of earlier posts on this topic.

Brad has it right.

A really good search of this site (yeah, I have trouble making it work for me, too) will bring up many conversations on this very topic. The consensus, IIRC, is that a fatter boolit is the answer.

As you know, every barrel is a law unto itself so what works for someone else may not work for you, but try the fatter diameter before contacting a barrel maker for a replacement. Maybe borrow a mould or ask someone to provide you with some samples.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by C1PNR View Post
    I don't have a Marlin microgroove rifle, so my comments are a result of reading a LOT of earlier posts on this topic.

Brad has it right.

A really good search of this site (yeah, I have trouble making it work for me, too) will bring up many conversations on this very topic. The consensus, IIRC, is that a fatter boolit is the answer.

As you know, every barrel is a law unto itself so what works for someone else may not work for you, but try the fatter diameter before contacting a barrel maker for a replacement. Maybe borrow a mould or ask someone to provide you with some samples.
    i read both replies and i belive your both right cause it just dawned on me i was using a .457 ! lol boy am i embarrased . serious tho i geuss i was scooting the bullet rather than engraving wasnt i . i did order a lee 405 gr .459 mold so im hoping that might be a cure .

Boolit Grand Master

I have 1895's with both the MG and Ballard rifling. I use either the RCBS 405 or Ranch Dog boolit sized to .460" in both of them and do not see any appreciable difference in accuracy. Both barrel types shoot under 1" @100yds.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    well i had a bit of success. today i loaded 7 rounds using hornady brass with 500 gr .459s . i had to soot single shot on account of the pointed bullets BUT accuracy went way way up . i still have to do another one tho. when i cleaned i got lots of tiny lead specks plus a few bigger pieces but im not sure if they were from the 457s or these. so i got it good and clean and im going to try again this week sometine . the real shame is ive owned this rifle since 98 and its never been on a bench . soon as i get a chance im going to the range and try it to see what itll do. thanks for all the help you guys . you ever notice how in this sport its still fun even when your ideas dont work? as long as nobody gets hurt or theres no property damage lol

garry,,, the boolit that makes my marlin smile is a rcbs # 45-500 gas check. it has the crimp groove close enough to the tip if the flat nose that is works great thru the action and it is a long bore rider boolit to boot so it grabs the rifling and seems to be very accurate. might give it a try as well.

welcome to the forum and have fun.

another boolit powder combo that is fun is the lyman 400 boolit and a case filled with blackpowder of around 63 to 70 grains slightly compressed and the boolit lubed with bullshops nasa lube and sparked with a federal large pistol primer. this load is so fun that itl make your noggin spin.

Boolit Mold
    i like the black powder idea . ill give that a try . you cant beat the sound and the smoke plus its the most fun you can have smellin like rotten eggs lol and thanks for the welcome . im starting to feel right at home here

Boolit Master
    I have both the MG and the Ballard rifling in Marlin rifles and both shoot about the same using bullets sized to .459" I get the same accuracy out of my Marlins as I do with my Shiloh Sharps of the same caliber so they are accurate guns. I tend to use bullets in the 300 to 400 gr range mostly to save lead and to save my shoulder. I have fired bullets that weigh up to 535 gr in my marlin but tend to like lighter ones. I have found that a 330 to 350 gr flat point works very well in the marlin and kills deer and elk just fine.

Moderator Emeritus

Check out RanchDog for a .460 sizer and his boolits designed for the Marlin.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
    I have both the MG and the Ballard rifling in Marlin rifles and both shoot about the same using bullets sized to .459" I get the same accuracy out of my Marlins as I do with my Shiloh Sharps of the same caliber so they are accurate guns. I tend to use bullets in the 300 to 400 gr range mostly to save lead and to save my shoulder. I have fired bullets that weigh up to 535 gr in my marlin but tend to like lighter ones. I have found that a 330 to 350 gr flat point works very well in the marlin and kills deer and elk just fine.
    i finally got to try again today and the .459s fixed it . had to slow the speed down a little but it was accruate off hand and no lead in the bore when i cleaned ...well one tiny little speck but it was alot with the loose 457s . thatks yall i appreciate all the help . you guys are handier than a shirt pocket

Boolit Grand Master
    Size can make a huge difference. Doesn't it make you happy to see some success? That is what this is all about.

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy
    I haqve a couple micros and they shoot fine with cast (all I shoot). Aleays measure the throat diameter and figure +.0015+ over throat diameter and generall they will shoot just fine. A GC design will make it eaiser but PB bullets are not a problem... just get them Fat.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    what did that projectile come from you think?