Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust? Help in not so sunny Kalif.

Rust? Help in not so sunny Kalif.

I have done a rust search but still need some professional advice. Speckling rust on dies, blued gun parts, some reloading tools in the garage. Just started in the past 2-4 weeks due to parking rain wet vehicle in garage multiple times. Musty smell at times, did set up a large fan to circulate the air.

I know the Aero Kroil I have will do the job but the offensive odor lingers for weeks. BreakFree Clip is not much better. Odor will kill the wife or she will do me the same.

What other products will stop or remove rust and protect that my not have excessively strong lingering odors? Fluid Film, Eezox, T-9, others?

Detailed hand inspection starts tomorrow. It's going to take some time to just handle every thing.

Buck
    Last edited by buckndee; 03-11-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Rapid-Tap is a marvelous rust inhibitor. It dries to leave an invisible film. It'll even stave off rust on steel in salt water for a few days. It's not cheap and has to be hand applied as it's designed for drilling and tapping. It also happens to be quite a good penetrator and cleaner. No smell that I have noticed.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I've heard Ballistol lube works well. Planning on getting some on the next MidwayUSA order and see for myself

Boolit Master

Fluid Film won't fix existing rust, but does a darn good job at preventing it and is one of the best in the mil spec salt water spray test. It has kept my snowblower shiny new for 3 Winters now, and it comes in soaking wet in salty water every time I use it.

It smells bad, though, the primary ingredient is lanolin.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

+1 for fluid film
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Evapo-Rust!

Works great! Used it on a cpl sets of carbide dies. One set soaked for cpl days and still ok. But it WILL remove blueing!

Boolit Grand Master

Might try getting a dehumidifier for the garage. That's what allot of people use back east for the damp humid and musty basements.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Eezox works well for me in humid Maryland.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Ballistol works great to prevent rust from forming. I don't know that it does much to get rid of rust. It does have a very distinct and significant odor. I don't find the odor offensive though.

Boolit Master

I've been using Eezox for a while now and have no complaints. Somewhere I found a test that was done comparing Eezox, break free, and quite a few other rust preventatives using salt, water and time. The only compound preventing all the rust was Eezox with break free a close second. I got a whole bunch when Midway had it on sale for <$5 a can. So far no rust. My house and basement are relatively dry but I use a dehumidifier to keep it <50% in summer and less in winter.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Might try getting a dehumidifier for the garage. That's what allot of people use back east for the damp humid and musty basements.
    musty basements need ventilation

easy to do, so it works far better than a dehumidifier

most anyone can do it

Boolit Master
    Once you get the rust off youe stuff---Buy more stuff!!! Buy so much it fills up most of the garage!!! Park the wet car outside!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range. man.electric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post

most anyone can do it
    I have great ventilation but still run a dehumidifier set with a humidistat to turn on if the the humidity reaches 35% in my basement. I also have two dehumidifiers in my gun safe in the basement on top of about 3 pounds of silica gel beads. This all started with a few rust specks on the side of one of my dies and I refuse to let it happen again. If you reloading bench is in the same garage as your equipment make sure to keep your powder and primers safe. I usually put two small silica packets inside of every powder container and store them in large sealed ammo cans with more silica beads. My primers that aren't in the dead refrigerator with silica beads are stored in ammo cans with silica beads as well. I am sorry that you have rust and hope that you can find a way to stave off future corrosion.

Boolit Buddy
    +2 for fluid film

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post

most anyone can do it
    If you have high humidity outside as well as in, it doesn't do enough to just ventilate.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master
    Fluid film, eezox, and probably best of all "Corosion X". In a stand by, any full synthetic motor oil, like Mobil One. I live in a very humid area and they all work well for me.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 for dehumidifier. Also an oily rag needs to be kept handy to wipe down every
    single thing when you touch it. When I lived in an an unairconditioned house in FLA,
    that was a requirement. I wish we could have had a dehumidifier, but we ran fans to
    keep a bit cooler, so no way to close up and dehumidify. So guns and equipment rusted
    very quickly if not kept oily. Pick up a gun and handle it, you MUST wipe it down with
    that oily rag as you put it down or it WILL rust.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Thanks for all the replies.

After a more thorough inspection it is not as bad as I thought. Some things have rust specks starting most are fine. Seems very random what was affected. Suspect items showing fuzz had it all a long but started to grow faster. Caught the humidity problem in time before it spread to far. Taken multiple corrective steps but the wife wasn't pleased about parking new car outside till the rain water dries off. Said she understands, she is a good women to put up with my hunting, guns and reloading passions for 35 years. Says she does not even notice the Cape Buffalo, Leopard and other mounts above the washer and dryer area anymore.

Currently cleaning and preserving with Kroil and Breakfree Clip as that's what I have on hand, strong odors or not. I have ordered Eezox and Fluid Film to try as per suggestions.

As far as buying more stuff to fill the available air space. I thought I would never say that I have hit the saturation point but it's true. Loading for 30 plus different cartridges and 3 gauges to supports firearms that need feeding takes up a lot of space.. Need to think about downsizing. I am not a hoarder just well prepared if components get hard to get again. Prices are not going down.

Thanks
    Buck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buckndee View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I am not a hoarder just well prepared if components get hard to get again. Prices are not going down.

Thanks
    Buck
    Brother, ain't that the truth! After our gubiment gets done printing more money and the Japanese cash in some of the $700+ TRILLION (with a 'T') of our debt that they hold so they can rebuild after the recent tsunami, our money won't be worth anything!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

20% humidity now . . . usually runs between 5% - 50% . . . what is "rain"?
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast