Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to apply lube

Boolit Man

How to apply lube

Hi

I'm just starting to paper patch for a breach loader and was a little curios how you apply your lube to the bullet.

Regards Math

Boolit Buddy
    How about not? If you wipe between shots, no lube is needed. if you really want to use lube, you either use your finger to put some lube on the patch, and/or use a lube cookie under the bullet, sandwiched between 2 wads.

In Remembrance
    Lube is not applied to paper patched bullets.

Some put a little lube on the outside of the paper patch, but most don't.

If you want a supply of lube in your load for keeping the BP fouling soft, a grease cookie or a lubed felt wad can be positioned right under the bullet.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Man
    Ok no lube on the patch. How will wads work whit a hollow base bullets ? I'm sort of afraid that they will stick in the cavity and unbalans the bullet. And then there is the problem with applying the same amount of lube under the bullet every time

Math

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by math View Post
    Ok no lube on the patch. How will wads work whit a hollow base bullets ? I'm sort of afraid that they will stick in the cavity and unbalans the bullet. And then there is the problem with applying the same amount of lube under the bullet every time
    If you extrude, melt, roll, or otherwise produce a flat layer of lube with a uniform thickness, you can easily 'cookie cut' discs of lube directly into the case being reloaded. So much for the 'same amount' thing.

Some of the paper patched bullet designs have a cup base, but none that I know of are 'hollow based' bullets.

The 'cup' is a shallow depression which gets (mainly) filled with folded paper during the patching process.

It is very common to see wads used with these bullets.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Man
    Hello

Thanks for your ideas and input. After reading the answers i see that i should have given more info in my original post, i'll try and make up for that now, sorry for the trouble.

The rifle is a M-1851 made for the Swedish navy, and uses no cases, hence my question about applying the same amount of lube everytime. In the good old days a paper cartride was used. i have found very little info on how that cartridge was made.

Here is a photo of the rifle and the bullets i'm using.

Regards Math

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the guys that shoot long range muzzle loaders use a shallow dish with a layer or two of felt fabric soaked with liquid lube. They roll the patched bullet immediatly before loadind. Some use jojoba oil, but the real serious ones use sperm oil.

I believe in Paul Matthews book on paper patching he used several types of lube rubbed onto the paper. He advised that the lube not soak into the paper which would make it translucent.

I sometimes rub SPG on the paper.

Lube?

Or...do it the easy way:

SeatingLubeCookies by RMulhern, on Flickr
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Buddy
    how thick of a lube cookie are you using there? are you just taking a charged case with a wad and stamping them out?
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

???

Quote Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
    how thick of a lube cookie are you using there? are you just taking a charged case with a wad and stamping them out?
    These are .250" and it's a charged case!

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by calaloo View Post
    Some of the guys that shoot long range muzzle loaders use a shallow dish with a layer or two of felt fabric soaked with liquid lube. They roll the patched bullet immediatly before loadind. Some use jojoba oil, but the real serious ones use sperm oil.

I believe in Paul Matthews book on paper patching he used several types of lube rubbed onto the paper. He advised that the lube not soak into the paper which would make it translucent.

I sometimes rub SPG on the paper.
    Sorry but I am new to computers and have yet to memorized the tens of thousands of acronyms used nowdays.
    Could someone please spell out what SPG means for us that have no clue?
    Thanks

Boolit Bub
    SPG is a brand name of black power cartirge lube

Boolit Master
    SPG are the initials of the originator of the lube, Steve P. Garby

Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    Or...do it the easy way:

SeatingLubeCookies by RMulhern, on Flickr
    Mr Mulhern, I gotta ask, how do you keep the powder from shifting forward?

I assume you have no concerns with ringing your chamber due to the space between the wad and the cookie, as they would all get seated down on top of each other??

Boolit Master
    Nanuck, not trying to speak for Mr Mulhern, as he has a lot more experience than I do. But he probably has a .030 or .060 overpowder wad seated, therefore no powder spillage. And no, there is no air space from the powder column to the bottom of the seated bullet.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Buddy
    Rick,

You do forget an essential detail - the man is using a capping breechloader with paper cartridges, so he doesn't have a case to cut lube cookies... I believe that a lubed felt wad would be the way to go in such a case, just like with the Westley Richards Monkeytail: There's a monkeytail forum on the british militaria board, I believe there would be some gents willing and able to help you.

Boolit Master

Math I shoot a '59 Sharps with grease grouve slugs. The casting has a rebated base simular to a gas check base. I turned a dowel rod to the size of the base and roll paper to make a cylinder the bullet will slip fit into. Most of the time I seat the slug into the bore and fill the chamber with powder.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Breech loader?

Quote Originally Posted by martinibelgian View Post
    Rick,

You do forget an essential detail - the man is using a capping breechloader with paper cartridges, so he doesn't have a case to cut lube cookies... I believe that a lubed felt wad would be the way to go in such a case, just like with the Westley Richards Monkeytail: There's a monkeytail forum on the british militaria board, I believe there would be some gents willing and able to help you.
    Dang Martin...I'd have sworn I saw some brass cases lying on top of the table in the photo! Hmmm....seems as if my 1874 Sharps is a 'breech loader' also!

Boolit Man
    Yes there is cases laying on the table but they are for my .425 WR

Right now i'm trying to find a good load before making paper cartridges.
    What i really was interested in knowing was if lube was applyed to the paper or not. I have been using "Loading and shooting paper patch bullets"by Randolph.S.Wright as my guide so far but that book only covers how to load cartridges, and so far i understand it he does not apply lube to the patch.

Happy shooting
    Math

Question

I've been around this game long enough now to understand that one mans' gravy could very well be...another mans' poison!

If you want lube on the patch don't use so much that it will migrate to the interior; powdered graphite will suffice also!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast