Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flintlock Hunting technique q

Boolit Buddy

Flintlock Hunting technique q

How do we do this with a flinter?
    For the walk and stalk, I fill pan and half cock.
    for stumpsitting, its the same.
    When in a tree or elevated point, I full cock and fill the pan
    when the animal is coming in.
    Sound right to you all?
    How do you all do this?

thanks
    Billboy

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I hunt river bottoms and woods when up north there so I always have the pan ready. When I am sitting anywhere I have my hammer on full cock with a finger over the flint. Generaly I will first see the target at under 50 yards so I have little time to get ready.
    Stalking my hammer is half cock, pan ready. Again I am generally in bottoms so there is little time or open ground to see past 50 yards. As of today my longest gun deer is 33 yards. Most are 20 yards and less.
    If I ever have to hunt open ground I might rethink my habits.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Pan charged, half cocked. I only empty the pan to climb into/out of my stand.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Buddy

Pan charged, half cocked (that's me a lot of the time...LOL). In heavy timber I stalk with the hmmer at half cock while stalking. When I stop I full cock; start the stalk again the hammer backto half cock. Works for me.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Master

I stalk pan full, half cock and use a leather frizzen cover. It helps. When sitting, I place the hammer at full cock and still use the frizzen cover. The cover slips right off when ready to shoot.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I do hope you guys sitting there on full cock don't have set triggers. Foolish practice in my opinion, and I would certainly never hunt with anyone who does this.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I was thinking the same about being on full cock!

FWIW - what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.....................................

Either stalking or sitting I do half cock with full pan. If I need to go to full cock quietly, I just hold the trigger back as thumb back to full cock. Doing it that way lets you go to full cock silently. I make sure I do not let go of the cock until I know it caught in the full cock position. Works good.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Security Police `80 -`00

Boolit Master
    Flintlock hunting technique?

Just like most all the hunting I do. Very slowly- pure still hunting. Or still hunt mixed with sitting quietly. Or once in a while spot and stalk in thick cover. Or still hunt/tracking.

Caplock- nipple capped and on half cock.
    Flintlock- pan primed and on half cock.

Full cock only when ready to shoot. Any other way never crossed my mind.

Boolit Master
    Really!! Um ~Full cock you say. ~ Oh my Goodness.
    I hunt with my rife occasionally but in the same manor as I would & do with my modern rifle. >Safety first and foremost< But everybody has their ways. I guess I'm just too old fashion in my ways to change. Besides: I like a nosy rifle in the woods. "Everthing knows I'm a come'in for em." ~~~the kid will gladly harvest one for me anyways. He's the shooter in this family. Me, I'm just there the long walks and pretty scenery.

Boolit Master
    Pan full, Half-cocked. Empty pan and open lock when climbing in and out of treestands.

Full cock only when I hear or see something coming. I lightly press the trigger so the full-cock is silent. Don't use the double trigger during hunting (unless perhaps it was a long shot and I had no worries that the "click" would spook the quarry)

Anyone here ever tried pyrodex-P for their pan primer? I realize 4-f is the standard, however in my case, buying a pound for the little shooting I would like to do would not make sense. Just askin....

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Anyone here ever tried pyrodex-P for their pan primer? I realize 4-f is the standard, however in my case, buying a pound for the little shooting I would like to do would not make sense. Just askin....
    Try it, and report back. I think I know the answer, but you can be the official tester.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    REAL BP is the correct propellant for traditional ML rifles, both the barrel and the pan. Flintlocks need an easily ignited powder, and Pyrodex isn't it. IF you managed to ignite Pyrodex in the pan, you would experience a significant hangfire IF the barrel charge was ignited. I've seen guys TRY to use Pyrodex in the barrel with ffffg BP in the pan....
    Darn it, there you go, spoiling the fun!

Mate, I do exactly the same as fouronesix.
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

When on the move the pan is primed, cock on half cock and hammer stall on (leather frizzen cover).

When on stand the pan is primed, full cock, hammer stall on frizzen and trigger UN-set.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Darn it, there you go, spoiling the fun!
    Snicker. snort....I see what yer a dooin here....LOL!
    Fine, I'll take good advice when it's offered. Thanks folks.

Boolit Master
    Will this never die ????

People please READ the directions on your powder containers.

I use 777 in my flintlock and Pyrodex RS. My brother-in-law uses Pyrodex Pellets. The 777 is awsome and leaves very little fouling to slow down your fallow up shots. It also out performs black in velocity hands down.

Got to love that PA flintlock season. We put on drives. On the last day we fielded 12 flintlocks. It was 4 degrees out. Collectively we fired 20 rounds. My rifle and my sons (both loaded with 80gr 777FFG lose) over 10gr FFFFG went off like centerfire rifles. Sad the season is over.

Motor

Boolit Master

Were you using sabots and XTP's in those flintlocks too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast