Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The proper use of fillers

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I don't know whether I am doing the right thing or not but I use 35gr of H4895 and use a tiny amount of dacron just to hold the powder to the rear of the case for consistent ignition. I reason that it would be no different to shooting uphill with a reduced charge and no dacron. So for me, it's a positioner and no more. I use about 1/2 grain fluffed up. Accuracy seems good with my load which is 35gr H4895
    under a 110gr .312 bullet in a 303 brit two-groove. The same load also seems accurate in another two-groove with open sights. Well, tube sights - can't see the front post too well anymore.

I have tried stuffing the case with dacron for cast or paper patched boolits but didn't form any conclusions. It worked fine and as intended, that being to protect the boolit base from powder kernel peening.
    I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a current thread going on about fillers. You may get more interest in your post there.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I don't know whether I am doing the right thing or not but I use 35gr of H4895 and use a tiny amount of dacron just to hold the powder to the rear of the case for consistent ignition. I reason that it would be no different to shooting uphill with a reduced charge and no dacron. So for me, it's a positioner and no more. I use about 1/2 grain fluffed up. Accuracy seems good with my load which is 35gr H4895
    under a 110gr .312 bullet in a 303 brit two-groove. The same load also seems accurate in another two-groove with open sights. Well, tube sights - can't see the front post too well anymore.

I have tried stuffing the case with dacron for cast or paper patched boolits but didn't form any conclusions. It worked fine and as intended, that being to protect the boolit base from powder kernel peening.
    Was that with a jacketed bullet?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Is a filler needed when using Bullseye Powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Was that with a jacketed bullet?
    Yes, with jacketed's. I was just trying to get that particular rifle to shoot. It had a tight midsection of bore and a loose muzzle end so I lapped the midsection until it was even and counter-bored the muzzle end. I have other cast boolit shooters to play with at the moment so won't be pursuing cast in this particular rifle for a while to come but I do plan to eventually shoot cast out of it just to see if I can and maybe for range shooting. We have these military shoots every now and then and this rifle most closely resembles an original military rifle. They may not like my front sight mod though but the blade is still there. I just can't shoot with it as a plain blade.

I've actually raised the tube so that the blade doesn't protrude far enough to disturb the sight picture. It works real well for my eyes.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 02-01-2024 at 03:32 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Is a filler needed when using Bullseye Powder?
    That's a good question. I have heard some folks say not necessary but I use that tiny puff of Dacron for good measure. I often fire straight down and have my doubts about the powder lying down on the boolit base.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't use any filler or wad with bullseye loads in any cartridge.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

So no issues with the Bullseye lying forward while firing down? It would certainly be more convenient not to use Dacron. I get good accuracy with a smooth sided two diameter 217 gr boolit over 5 gr of Clays which I believe is very similar if not about identical.

That's only 25m so not exactly bench rest accuracy but then it was with No4 peep sights and a front blade that I can't see too well. That's also a different rifle. I can't seem to find the target for the two-groove which makes me wonder whether I have actually tried them in it.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 02-01-2024 at 05:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot would depend on the size of the cartridge case volume, what primer is used, whether drilled flash holes and the degree of "down". For example, in my Mini Mk X 7.62x39 with LRPs and drilled flash holes with 2.7 gr Bullseye under a 90 gr SWC I discern no noticeable difference in impact when shooting at lower targets such as downhill. In my 30-06 with 3.2 gr Bullseye under the same 90 gr SWC there can be a slightly lower impact if shooting steeply downhill at 50+ yards. Under normal carry position and bringing the rifle to shoulder I've not really noticed any effect of "powder positioning".
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

The reason I was asking about a filler with Bullseye is I want tp try around 8gr in the 450 Bushmaster with a 255 to 300 gr bullet. This would be from a Bolt action

Boolit Grand Master

I use 8 gr of Bullseye w/o wad or filler under 270 gr Rapine 460250s in the 45-70. I shoot them in my TDs and Siamese Mauser 450-400-70. Accuracy is excellent, recoil is mild and the fun factor is off the charts.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678