RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 38 spec light accuracy loads?

Boolit Bub

38 spec light accuracy loads?

looking for some accuracy loads for my snub smith in 38 spec. i have 148 gr hbwc and 158 gr swc bullets. powders i have are bullseye, unique, w231. any help is apprec

Boolit Grand Master
    With the 148 HBWC seated flush, 2.7 to 3 grains Bullseye, and 3 to 3.2 grains W231.

If seated out a little to center the bullet in the throats, increase charge about .2 grain.

With the 158 SWC, if it's of normal seating depth, 3.5 Bullseye, 4.2 of W231 or 4.5 to 4.7 grains Unique. All are standard pressure loads.

Plus P would be 5.0 Unique or 4.6 W231 with the 158. Okay if your snubby is rated for it.The 5.0 Unique load gets around 850 fps in a two inch, the W231 load a hair less.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    2.7 grains of Bullseye was the standard for many years when loading the 148 gr Speer HBWC. It won many a PPC match and is very light in recoil. Your sight radius for a snub nose revolver will have great effect on your downrange results.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

If you are looking for a defensive load - stay with the BE - less muzzel flash.

I tested BE, 231 and Unique just after dark on my home range - I could actually see after the BE loads, but not with the 231 or Unique.

BTW I was using max loads.

just my 2 Cents worth.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master

The recommendations of about 2.8 BE are right on. Light and accurate.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I've been loading 2.5 grains of International with 148 grain DEWC's. I have a box of HBWC's that I need to try with the same load and see which is more accurate.

2.7 to 3.0 grains of Bullseye (usually less than 3) is the standard accuracy load with wadcutters. I'm using International because I have some, and I like how well it measures and how clean it burns when loaded light.

3.5 grains of BE is a good mild load for 158's. 4.5 grains of Unique is getting close to a full-power service load.

"Moderator Emeritus"

2.7- 3.0 Bullseye with 148HBWC seated flush. I wish I had all the HBWC I have sent down range back, I'd have a PILE of lead avalible for casting now.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

I have only 1 38spl load. 148gr HBWC loaded backwards over 5.0gr Unique. Works for plinking and is a fair defensive load.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Unique has provided amazingly consistent results in all kinds of large capacity cases (like the .38 special). That's the one, from among your stated choices, I'd use.

However, Titegroup is my go-to powder for .38 special because of its consistency and absence of temperature or position sensitivity. Goes bang every time the same as the last. Most of the competitors I know who shoot smokeless powder have come to this same conclusion. It is a low to mid intensity powder, however, and should not be used for medium-heavy or heavy loads.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master

I tried Titegroup in .38 Special and I hated it. Chacun à son goût, I guess (Cajun accent)

I use the lee 105swc bullet with 3,4grs with vv-n310 powder, it runs around 890fps, and in a ransom it will knock down a coin at 25 meter. I love this bullet for target shooting. If you can, you should try it.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 2.7 grains of Bullseye and a HBWC in my 6" K38 for my accuracy load. But if you have a 158 grain SWC, try 3.5 grains of Bullseye. That's always been very accurate in my 4 and 6 inch 38s.

+1 to 35remington.

Those are pretty much the all time classic 38 loads.

I haven't found anything that works better than 4.5 gr of 231. Great, consistent groups if I do my part. 6.5 gr of HS-6 does an admirable job as well...both of these with the 158 gr LSWC.