Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: PP idea.......

Boolit Master

PP idea.......

I've had an interest in paper patching for awhile.

I've read most posts regarding a good quality paper; also using "onion skin" and several others. A good friend recommended using the "Yellow Pages" out of the phone book. As a printer, he said, its thin, cheap, and good quality.

Has anyone ever tried paper out of the phone book? Any comments about this idea? I personally haven't tried it. Sounds feesable depending on how many wraps it would take.

A good friend of mine is casting a 385 grain 454 GC bullet for use in the 454 Casull. I'd like to try to paper patch this bad boy up to .460 and load it in my 45-70 Ruger #1.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

HV

my first paper patching was using phone book paper, and it sucks. you cant twist the tail very tight or it will rip.
    It's not the size of your brass that matters, It's how you tumble it.

Phone book paper is thin and weak and has no wet strength. However, dry wrapping is quite feasable. It is possible to dry wrap and insert boolit directly into the case. I use a short skirted patch and I glue the overhanging skirt. It means I can keep my patching and loading operations separate which suites me as I am not very organized and I don't do a lot of patching or loading in one session.

I have found that a cig roller will tighten up a dry wrapped patch nicely. My favourite paper is ordinary cheapo printer paper. It is quite compressable and thus does not have to be the exact right size.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

2 wraps of meade tracing paper (wally world) will bring a .454 boolit up to 0.4595/0.460. The paper is 0.0015 thick, wet wrapped works well for me on a lee 405 gr that drops at 0.455. Check the threads on ruger no. 1s, you may have trouble seating with their chambers.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Phone book paper will make you go bald. I use a 16# green bar printer paper. The type with holes along both sides. Works about perfectly and I get it free. Two wraps of 16# will add just about .010 to your bullet diameter after drying. I say about .010 because it depends on how much stretch you use and if you cut your patches with, or across the grain.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    I've had an interest in paper patching for awhile.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

HV
    Be warned.......paper patching will occasionally cause one to wander about the house slobbering and mumbling incoherently.

Mike
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him neither harm nor favor"