Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas checks stuck in case

Boolit Buddy

Gas checks stuck in case

I had to pull 50 rounds of 7MMBR as I forgot to nose size them first to fit my tight chamber.
    I have about ten cases where the bullet left the gas check inside the case. Most are loose in the case and the powder is extracted. How do i get them out? I will shoot the ones with powder still in them checking between each shot that the gas check has actually left the barrel befor firing the next one. I have a fear when I do this that one day a bullet will will find a gas check half way up the barrel.
    I hate having to pull (or hammer) loaded rouds after all the effort of seating perfectly good rounds into perfectly preeped brass. Peter

A primer alone should get them out of the case. But make absolutely sure your barrel is clear between shots!
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Banned

Poke one side of the check with a small screwdriver or something that will turn it sideways in the neck, then grab it by the edge with hemostats or needlenose pliers and pull it out.

Gear

expand with a 30 expander and dump them out.

Boolit Grand Master

Good idea but it would really overwork the necks on expensive BR brass.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

I promise I really did read the whole OP, it just didn't register that the powder is out and the checks loose in the case already, so ignore my previous post!

My solution to the problem would still involve extracting with needle-nose pliers, but you'll just have to invert the case overhead and look up into it while shaking it around until the check settles in a place you can grab it. You can tip the check sideways and grab it if you hold your mouth just right, the check will tend to flip on edge and locate itself between the tips of the needlenose when you poke them up in the neck.

You could also squeeze the case necks slightly to make them elliptical and shake out the checks, but then you'd have to resize them.

Gear

Boolit Master
    "My solution to the problem would still involve extracting with needle-nose pliers, but you'll just have to invert the case overhead and look up into it while shaking it around until the check settles in a place you can grab it. You can tip the check sideways and grab it if you hold your mouth just right, the check will tend to flip on edge and locate itself between the tips of the needlenose when you poke them up in the neck".

Geargnasher,

i found this way to be the best also but there is always one that tests my patience
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post

Poke one side of the check with a small screwdriver or something that will turn it sideways in the neck, then grab it by the edge with hemostats or needlenose pliers and pull it out.

Gear
    This works for me.
    Been doing it that way for years.
    Has no effect on the neck.
    You will need to run it back through the expander to remove the crimp before you can seat a new bullet.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Gear
    This has worked for me!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Gear
    This was recommend to me by a forum member and it worked well.

Boolit Master
    I have used a dental pick, hook shaped, and simply grabbed it inside the rim and pulled it out.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    I have used a dental pick, hook shaped, and simply grabbed it inside the rim and pulled it out.
    I hate it when this happens. And it usually only happens to me when I use aluminum checks. It usually means that I screwed up my re-loading process somewhere along the line so I have to take my cartridges apart.

The method described above always seemed to work for me. Just about any small diameter hook-shaped piece of wire with sufficient rigidity will work.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post

I have done this one too.
    It is more tedious than the needle nose pliars but works.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Banned

Removing a gas check from the neck or from inside the case requires the same technique that mechanics have been using for a hundred years or more to remove "freeze" plugs and oil galley plugs from engine blocks and heads.

Gear

Banned

i'd be somewhat concerned, about, if they can come off the boolits being pulled from the case that they would do the same at another time.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i'd be somewhat concerned, about, if they can come off the boolits being pulled from the case that they would do the same at another time.
    You mean, fall off of the bullet and wind up floating around in the powder charge?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Banned

yep,, right at the most inopportune time.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    yep,, right at the most inopportune time.
    Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions. I will try the needle nose plier routine as that seems the most logical and doable. Peter

Banned

Checks should never fall off a boolit until it hits the target. Fix the mold so checks never come loose.

Since I started using aluminum checks I've let go of the whole "gas checks should stay on no matter what" argument. I can shoot groups up to 330 yards (300 meters) with my Model 28 .357 Magnum using 180gn gaschecked boolits and everytime I walk toward the target I find the checks in a nice pattern 30-50 feet in front of my shooting position. Accuracy speaks its own language. I've even loaded some checks backwards just for the experiment and the effect was about the same up to 35 yards.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast