Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: subsonic 308

Boolit Buddy

subsonic 308

i have a boltgun with a 1 in 10 twist in 308, i also have noe htc310 225 mold, Has anyone tried this bullet in 308 at subsonic velocity to see if they are stable? thinking of trying that with some reddot or unique. But i am not sure about if this would be stable, has to be on the edge.

Boolit Master
    IMO, it will stabilize, may need to play with the speed ? You will know after the first shot, so I would not load many ?

I say load up a few and try it. I just did almost this exact test a few weeks ago. I was using a 225 grain Hornady 308 Bullet.

A friend of mine found this calculator:

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

My speeds were ~900 FPS with the first group and then another group at 1050 FPS. Unfortunately, mine were not stabilized in that gun. (Suppressed 1/10 twist.) It was actually really interesting to shoot. because it was suppressed, you could hear the bullet swishing through the air. It was almost rhythmic. I did not know it at the time, but what I was hearing was the bullet tumbling or swirling around the air. Shot paper later to find it keyholing.

I have shot 200 grain bullets from that same gun with great success.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out. Red Dot and Unique should work well. It will take less powder than you think! Probably around 5-6 grains.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I have had better luck using 150 grain bullets for subsonic loadings in guns that do not have a twist that is faster than 1/10. The heavier bullets need too much rotational speed to be stable from a 1/10 twist at subsonic speeds.

Boolit Grand Master

Th weight of the bullet for stabilization at 1050 fps with a 10" twist is not the determining factor. It is the length of the bullet that will determine the stability at that velocity in your 10" twist .308W.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I have had better luck using 150 grain bullets for subsonic loadings in guns that do not have a twist that is faster than 1/10. The heavier bullets need too much rotational speed to be stable from a 1/10 twist at subsonic speeds.
    I have shot Lyman 31141 powder coated subsonic in 308 with good success. I believe you could go a little heavier perhaps to 200 grain lead?? I know that Hornady has come out with a 255 grain bullet for 7.62x39 and I'm still scratching my head because these are anywhere from 1-9.5 to 1-10??