Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CZ-527 7.62x39

Boolit Master

Cz 527 fs

I have one of those CZ 527's. However mine is a full stock model in .223 Remington. All of my cast boolit shooting has been done using 10 gr of Unique under a 52 GR RNL boolit.

The single set trigger is a joy to use and the pictured gun has a honking big gallumpus China Made el cheapo Telescopic Sight mounted on it. It works but it is just much too big and heavy and ruins the beautiful lines of the rifle.

It looks a tiny yellow polka dot bikini on an East German Lady Weighlifter. It just doesn't float my boat. Recently I bought a Leupold Optic that is much smaller, trimmer and lighter than the one pictured. However my digital camera is mammaries up at the moment and will require replacement. Not too shabby for having only paid $200 for it about 7 years ago.

With the new Leupold sughts this neat and nice handling rifle will group all day long at less than 1/2 inch at 50 yds, about an inch at 100 and is a lot of fun smacking the steel at 350 yds. At that distance we were shooting .223's, 308's, 30-06's and BPCR rifles of 45 and 50 calibre. I set up the spotting scope directly behind the shooter and the lighting was just right and we could see the boolits flying down range and impacting on the target at 350 yds.

The 308's were really motoring along and shot pretty flat as compared to the others. The .223 was moving along at about 1750 FPS per the chrony and was visibly much slower than the 308. The real slowpoke was the BPCR rifles. Both the 45-70 and 50-90 Sharps seemed to crawl as compared to the other calibres.

Also the arc to the target at 350 yds was way above the arc described by the faster rifles. However at 550 gr and 695 gr the slower and relic calibres would have certainly been much more destructive than the lighter and faster rounds.

However the recoil on the BPCR's was certainly a lot more than the more modern rifles. My shooting buddy also had a 50 BMG bolt rifle that he was tweaking for a friend of his. I let off one shot with that rifle and it was a lot lighter in recoil than I expected and also a lot lighter recoiling than my 50-90 Sharps. However at the cost of $6 a round I would certainly not shoot this gun too much.

And no, we did not shoot this behemoth at our steel targets as we like ours just the way they are....splatter with lead.....and without holes punched in them.

Getting back to the CZ 527. I love mine and I certainly would consider getting another in the caliber you have. The only problem I can forsee is getting my paws on enuf cases at a reasonable cost. My .223 cases are mostly range pickups from AR blasters who have more money than brains. The military crimped ones get a run thru a Dillon Swager 600 model and are not a problem. I reload them in my Dillon 550B and a bunch can be done PDQ. The biggest cost is the primers. Boolits are hand cast WCWW's, cases are free and a loading of 10 gr of Unique from an 8# jug is miserly.

Our shooting group does two group buys for powder and primers. One is for BPCR and it is mostly for black powder. The other one is for powder and primers. We research to find the best prices and we have found Powder INC to be the cheapest source of Swiss Black Powder and they have earned our business recently. For the other we are always looking for sales etc and we have bought from multiple sources over the years. By buying in large quantities we save a lot of cash. The only bad part is that the UPS guy hates me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0028-1.jpg   IMG_0030-1.jpg  
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    I have wanted one of these for years can't seem to come up with a used one. So let me know when your done with this one Ha Ha. Real nice good shooting

Taking my 527 out again tomorrow...adjustable folding rear sight installed and sighted in, scope remounted, ( I just wanted an adjustable folding rear sight that's all), and we're gonna see what this caliber can do at 300 yards, the farthest range I have available.

Boolit Master

All the fun you guys are having with you CZ's and cast bullets.
    One with leopuld rifleman 2X7 scope on it rests in my safe, and 40 or 50 rounds loaded with the lee 113 fp bullet are handy.
    H322 launches that stubby flat point, groups at 100 yards are about 1 inch wide by up to 1 3/4 tall, some with less vertical stringing.
    The H322 often leaves unburned kernals in the bore and fired case.
    Might have something to do with the vertical stringing.
    I really should get that rifle out and spend more time with it.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    the 18-1/2" barrel.
    Last edited by excess650; 07-18-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way

minute of whitetail

. There is only lube ahead of the GC.
    Last edited by excess650; 07-18-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Banned

excess650

You really have your X39 dialed in now. My Spartan X39 trigger work came out under 3.5 lbs and the rifle is finally dialed in and sighted in for my grandson to hunt with. Chronograph results have been pleasing to at 2161 fps for my Lee 150 gr flat-nose with 28.1 grains of Accurate 2230.

Here is my last target that is very representative of the last several targets and a few later, it hits here at 50 yards:

That is 5 shots, the top right hole is a double hit.

And the boolits look pretty too:

I loaded up 50 for the season for him.

Final Ballistic sheet:

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 09-21-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a 527 carbine in 223. The first thing I did was to swap out the firing pin spring for a higher power spring which cost something like $12. No problems at all and a pleasure to shoot. Use a 4X Kollmorgan 26mm scope mounted in30mm detect rings with a adapters down to the 26mm. As they are detach the scope can move to the next 527 carbine when it comes my way.

Had the bolt jeweled and its pretty.

If you want the spring look at the CZ forum on www.rimfirecentral.com and the people who make it advertise there. Might be J&P. The gentleman who jeweled it also advertises there. Something like demag enterprises.

Want a 527 American in a Hornet. Ever see the groups they produce?

I fully expect to carry mine for whitetails.

Banned

excess650

The alloy I use has been very consistent for me and mixed from my inventory here of ingots I have made from clip on wheel weights only and I alloy loose Linotype I buy in bulk to the ingots in the pot when I begin a session. My alloy is WW:Lino with a ratio of 7:3 and invariably tests with a Lee Hardness Test Kit making a .060" indent charting at a BHN just over 14 when the boolits are 10 days old after towel drop casting.

Your mold could easily be bigger! I wouldn't complain at all if mine were 10 grains heavier.

I wanted to use this alloy at BHN 14 ( just a smidgen softer than Lyman #2 ) because out at 150 yards, as you see on my ballistic chart there is still 1000 foot pounds of energy and that should expand boolits of this alloy to double diameter on game impact. I feel secure telling my grandson he can get humane, clean kills at 150 yards with the Spartan in 7.62X39 with this load. He is a fine marksman and already has that skill honed. He has grouped tighter than I have with this rifle twice so far.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 09-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.

they'll work well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123