RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Klineguther K-22

Boolit Bub

Klineguther K-22

I looked at a Klineguter K-22 at lunch. Had a Redfield 4x 3/4" scope on it. Probably 90% condition.

Anybody know anything about these? How do they shoot? Can you get spare mags? Anything good or bad? What are they worth?

It looks like a real nice .22, I'm really thinking about it. Somebody give me some real good feedback or some real bad feedback to help me make up my mind.

Thanks

Dave

Boolit Master
    Frank G.

In Remembrance

My late brother bought a Kleingunther K-15 Insta fire from Bob Kleingunther when he visited his shop in Seguin, Texas back in 1980. It was a 7 Rem. Mag. and was guaranteed to make a less than 1" group at 100 yds. with factory ammo. I developed a handload for it for our antelope hunt. My load in the rifle with my brother on the trigger would put 3 shots on top of one another at 225 yds. Mr. Kleingunther wanted all data and lot numbers of my componets used in making those rounds.

Bob Kleingunther went on his own in making these weapons when Roy Weatherby came to California from West Germany to make his Weatherby line of firearms. I understand Bob was Roy`s head gunsmith in the shop in Germany.Robert

I had one of the Kleinguenther Deluxe K-22 rifles back in the 80's. As per their reputation,
    it was EXTREMELY accurate, shooting 1" average or better at 100 yards for several 5-shot groups with good lots of Eley Standard ammo (the inexpensive practice version of their higher grades of match ammo.) It also had an excellent trigger. The stock fit me very well for offhand shooting and it was a natural for smallbore hunting rifle silhouette. The first time I ever shot it at a local match, I set the range high-score record with it as a hunting rifle (7.5 lbs, with a minimum 2 lb trigger) even shooting against match rifles (10 lbs, 2 oz., and 2-8 oz. match triggers). The stock was made of some light tan European wood that turned out to be very soft and prone to scratch/ding at the slightest provocation. It required babying in order to keep it looking nice.

Unfortunately, there were some significant practical problems with the design, as I learned.
    1. The rifle ejects straight up. The empty case more often than not hits the scope and drops down into the action, causing malfunctions. (SEE #2, below!) I loved the rifle and called KDF shortly after I bought it (about $350 IIRC), and asked them if they could fix it. They said they were working on a fix, but it would be of limited utility; they would re-work the extractors, but couldn't really promise a huge improvement. I sent it back to them, and as they said, their best efforts couldn't fix it.

2. It has large, forward locking lugs on the bolt. BAD idea in a .22 rimfire, particularly one prone to malfunctions. It was such a long reach to get into the chamber to single-load it that for all practical purposes, it was useless without a magazine. The mag functioned fine, but I knew that if I ever lost the mag, I simply wouldn't be able to single-load it. Also, the big/deep opening in the receiver forward of the ejection port (i.e., a big cavity behind the barrel breech inside the receiver) made getting jammed cartridges or shell-casings out very difficult. I usually had to fish out my pocket knife to pry things loose and clear malfunctions.

Mine had occasional misfires due to light firing pin strikes, even with excellent ammo. Again, due to the extractors/ejecting straight up, clearing malfunctions was a bear.

They came pillar bedded from the factory, and had a lot going for them, but unfortunately,
    I just had to trade mine back in to the dealer I bought it from, as it was not very functional, either for hunting or silhouette.

Hope this helps,
    John

Boolit Bub
    John

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it might be a steal at $350 and they usually negotiate a little. But, with the lack of parts and magazines available, and your experience, I just might pass.

I'll update if I change my mind.

Thanks again.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    At that price for that rifle with that scope, it sounds like a steal to me.

Boolit Bub
    I decided I needed to stop back by and take another look. So, I stopped by Saturday morning and it had been sold. So, no decision for me to make. I probably missed a good deal on a nice rifle.

Dave

"I probably missed a good deal on a nice rifle."

Based on my experience with 'em, you were spared an ordeal...

John