Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best gas check maker

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    The best gas check dies are the ones you use to make your gas checks and then go shoot.
    Wow...I actually agree with him for once.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    The best gas check dies are the ones you use to make your gas checks and then go shoot.
    This is the clear demonstration of a very intelligent man! There is nothing gained in the tearing down or badmouthing another's product.

I believe both products are high quality and both will produce quality gas checks. anything said beyond that is stricky an "OPINION" . I also know that this POST is my OPINION .

I also believe Springback of the alloy used for both the boolit and to make gas checks will greatly effect fit, or tight fit to boolit base. IMHO, Unless you paid a very high price for a certified alloy to make your checks to fit a certified material that the projectile was made from, there is no way that the maker of the tools involved be held responsible for " the check was loose, so I sold it " even with certified alloys, was the shank cast of size in the +- range that would work to ones opinion standard.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

I have Pat Marlin and like the two step process. I have not used any other maker and am happy right here. I form .015 copper and shoot them with great success in 300AAC.

Boolit Master

All the negative posters in this thread, and you know who you are, need to re-read post #42 and take it to heart.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't make my own but have used a few thousand Hornady GC's. Pretty good but last night I tried Gator GC's for the first time. I don't think I'll be buying any more Hornady checks.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Never used Pat's. I have a Freechex III and it works well.

In Remembrance
    Larry will like that!

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I don't make my own but have used a few thousand Hornady GC's. Pretty good but last night I tried Gator GC's for the first time. I don't think I'll be buying any more Hornady checks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush7 View Post
    Larry will like that!

Larry?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    Yea, Gator Checks are made by Larry Blackmon and sold by many vendors besides Blammer and Sages's Outdoors. He also has a line of swaging dies and presses used by many members on this forum. That Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Larry?

Boolit Master
    I have the publication by Ed Smith in PDF file format if someone wants a copy, let me know and I will E-Mail the work done by Ed Smith with regard to making gas check makers.
    i have made several gas check makers using the single stroke design similar to the FreeCheck III as described Ed Smith in his publication.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush7 View Post
    Yea, Gator Checks are made by Larry Blackmon and sold by many vendors besides Blammer and Sages's Outdoors. He also has a line of swaging dies and presses used by many members on this forum. That Larry!
    Please tell him I appreciate his quality work. NOE sells them as well, they make good packing material when I order a mould or two. They seem to work especially well with Al's moulds. Can't wait to try them with some 35 cal boolits.

Boolit Bub
    I'll throw in another vote for Pat Marlin.

I haven't tried the Freechex system, but I liked being able to use my reloading press to make gas checks. I've got enough stuff that I didn't want to have to get a arbor press to use the Freechex, besides with all the positive feedback for Pat Marlin check makers on here, I figured I would give them a try. Got a 45cal initially and a few months afterwards I got the 40pb, 35pb and 22 cal makers. Repeat customer.

Boolit Buddy
    Any body know where to get that die set Pat was using? How expensive are they also?

Quote Originally Posted by jiandawg View Post
    I haven't tried the Freechex system, but I liked being able to use my reloading press to make gas checks. I've got enough stuff that I didn't want to have to get a arbor press to use the Freechex
    Can't say I blame you. I ended up with 1 of these

[IMG][/IMG]

To use with the freechex so I can use a standard reloading press.

[IMG][/IMG]

I know what you mean by stuff and buying stuff leads to using it to make more stuff and buying more stuff to use that stuff. Ended up buying an arbor press (stuff) and then found I could use it to make more than just gc's with it. Stuff like free bullet jackets from 9mm & 380acp cases with the stuff I bought to go with the stuff I bought to make gc's. Some of the stuff I make with all the stuff I buy to make stuff with.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now I sorta wish I'd of only bought pat's stuff, that way I would of never bought all this other stuff and learned how to make other stuff with that stuff.

And yes, either of them make good stuff. It just depends on how fast you want to make stuff with their stuff.

^^^ Forrest r, you have succinctly summarized the gun nut phenomenon, which can also be applied to people in most any area of endeavor!

We get stuff to do stuff which leads us into making stuff to use in our stuff.
    Then, we get more stuff to use and improve the new stuff we made.
    Of course, we need to do stuff for money and sell stuff to afford a place to safely store our stuff.
    I'm reminded of George Carlin (RIP)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Buddy
    This might be off subject a bit. Someone mentioned that the GC's they were using were a bit loose. that shouldd be better for PC bullet's. I put some 30 GC's on PC bullet's and awfully tight!

Boolit Master
    The Freechex tool in operation:

https://youtu.be/R5sIuzphTEk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123