RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Javalina Lube

Boolit Bub

Javalina Lube

Hi,

I've been reading all of the awesome info contained in this site and I want to start making my own lube, just for the hell of it. I figure I'll start with a Javalina replica (cuz that's what I know) so here's the question:

So far I learned that

Alox 2138F is no longer made

and

Alox 350 is available, but thinner because it contains no wax

and

Alox 350 + 3-7% microcrystaline wax = Alox 2138F

What would be the benefit of making a 50/50 mix of beeswax with 2138F versus straight 350 other than the increased viscosity? Could I not just use more beeswax with the 350 to make the mix more solid? Or maybe add something else to the mix? Is microcrystaline wax really necessary? I thought beeswax had similar properties.

Thank You in advance. I'm no good at chemistry. Got a D- in college.

-918v

Boolit Master

918 - I don't think I would worry about it a little bit. Heck, if you want to, add a little carnauba to the mix. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Alox 350 has been used for some time now with great results. I do not believe the mix winds up being exactly 50/50 though.

I went to the trouble of buying a slab of micro wax and mixed it at 7% and the result was a much more hard Alox than before. I have not tried making lube with it yet but 350 seems like axle grease and after I put the micro wax in it turned into what appears to be something far more hard.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hip's Ax View Post
    Alox 350 has been used for some time now with great results. I do not believe the mix winds up being exactly 50/50 though.
    Right. But if it works as well is there a reason to try for the exact 50/50? Maybe I'm fussing over nothing?

Moderator Emeritus

Hip's Ax, if I read your comment right, I think I know why it was overly hard. If you used 7% of the total as Microwax, you used twice as much as the original formula. 2138F is 7% microwax and Alox makes up 50% of the total mix so the #s should actually be 50% beeswax, 46.5% Alox 350 and 3.5% Microwax.

Other than changing consistency I have seen no advantage in using the wax. It makes the lube a little harder and a little less tacky.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/