RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
ADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners

View Poll Results: What 2 handgun moud & number of cavity combinations are at the top of your wish list.

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 cavity, aluminum

0 0%
  • 2 cavity, aluminum

5 2.86%
  • 3 cavity, aluminum

4 2.29%
  • 4 cavity, aluminum

11 6.29%
  • 5 cavity, aluminum

12 6.86%
  • 6 cavity, aluminum

47 26.86%
  • 1 cavity, brass

1 0.57%
  • 2 cavity, brass

11 6.29%
  • 3 cavity, brass

7 4.00%
  • 4 cavity, brass

39 22.29%
  • 5 cavity, brass

6 3.43%
  • 6 cavity, brass

26 14.86%
  • 1 cavity, iron

1 0.57%
  • 2 cavity, iron

8 4.57%
  • 3 cavity, iron

3 1.71%
  • 4 cavity, iron

15 8.57%
  • 5 cavity, iron

1 0.57%
  • 6 cavity, iron

9 5.14%
  • 1 cavity, steel

0 0%
  • 2 cavity, steel

1 0.57%
  • 3 cavity, steel

4 2.29%
  • 4 cavity, steel

7 4.00%
  • 5 cavity, steel

1 0.57%
  • 6 cavity, steel

13 7.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: For your dream handgun mould, what material and how many cavities?

Boolit Buddy
    Most anything with 4-6 cavities that drops easily!

Boolit Grand Master

Most of my molds are 2 or 4 cavity iron. My 2 newest are 2 cavity aluminum. My dream mold would be made of stainless and be 4 cavities.

Boolit Master
    For aluminum molds 6 cav is the sweet spot but an 8 cav would be sweet.

Brass I like a 4 cav, same for iron & steel. They are heavy and my wrists can only handle so much of that. I love my 8 cav H&G's too but again, heavy!

Usability, aluminum gets the win.

Ultimately longevity & quality, brass, iron, and steel!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I like 4 or 5cav, quality alum molds. There is a balance between filling time, cooling time & number of cavs. I find 6-8 can take more time to get bullets than a good 4cav. Anything more than 4cav in iron or steel or brass gets really heavy after an hour of work. YMMV
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    8 Cavity Steel.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master

For 357 or smaller, I prefer a 6 cav. Al mold, but for larger boolits, a 5 cav. is plenty, mainly because of more heat to dissipate and less aluminum to act as a heat sink. Bit of carpal tunnel in my casting hand, so don't use my brass or steel moulds much.

Boolit Master
    Wow, a nearly nine year old resurrected thread!

I think this is a question that gets answered with, "it depends".

Shoot a few dozen rounds a year of an unusual rifle boolit loaded for accuracy? Pressure ladle casting into a one cavity hand held mold to produce handfuls of highly consistent boolits is not usually a fatigue problem, regardless of mold material, even while doing multiple cycles a minute to keep the mold hot.

Shoot 30,000 plus of the same boolit each year for action pistol? Non automated high production by hand casting means multiple cavity molds filled from a bottom pour pot. Lighter is easier and faster to maneuver, so aluminum molds become more appealing.

I use MP 8 aluminum cavity molds (I'm pretty new to the game; did Miha make these 9 years ago?). An after market mold guide takes the weight during the pour and also makes it faster and more consistent. The mold gets set on a cooling block as the sprue hardens, so I only hold up the weight of the mold/casts/sprue for the time it takes to cut and dump the sprue and casts, and that's only twice a minute. That's a production rate around a thousand boolits an hour, and the light 8 cav molds in combination with a feeder pot supplied bottom pour means sessions where 3K or more good boolits are made without my exhausting myself or risking RSI problems.

90 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    For pistols there is absolutely no doubt about it . AL 6 cavity .
    Rifles it depends heavily on the bullet . Because some of them just don't cast well in big moulds .
    I have an 8C H&G #130 , 2C MP 462-420 and a 4C Lyman . Weight is a big deal . In AL like my NOE 460-543 @535 gr 3C seems to be about right for heat and weight . It doesn't matter what it's made of the 22 cal moulds are hard to cast fast enough to keep warm . Under 30 cal really I have trouble with 5C . 35s I actually have to slow up a little with 4,5,&6C .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Honestly, an 8 CAV in Alum would be amazing. But of course brass would be better, just heavier. I suggest a 8 CAV brass with some sort of rolling base support device so pouring can be easier on the wrists.

Boolit Master

This thread/poll has been around for almost 9 years and I am just now seeing it. I marked 4 cavity brass and 6 cavity aluminum. Obviously, I don't shoot as much as many here do, so I am not willing to punish myself with more than 4 cavities in brass, iron or steel. I am curious though. Who makes a steel mold. I know that some use the word steel when really talking about iron. Or at least that is what I assumed.

I've got a lot of 2 cavity iron molds and like them. Mostly they are for boolits that I don't shoot a lot of. I've got a 4 cavity H&G 50 as well as a 6 cavity for that boolit. I tried the 6 cavity once and put it on the shelf and there it sits. I do have a MP 8 cavity aluminum mold for the H&G 50 that I haven't had too long and really haven't gone beyond heating it up.
    John
    W.TN

my vote option isnt in there but here goes
    8 6cav steel on an automated 6spout magma with a 200# casting pot with a 600# reserve pot

Boolit Bub
    aluminum moulds are great as long you keep them cleaned and warm them before using them

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123