Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Cast in a 308 Winchester

Boolit Mold

Cast in a 308 Winchester

Haven't posted here before but have a lot of time on other sites. I want to give cast bullets in my .308 Winchester a try. Not looking for jacketed speed but 1600-1900 fps or so with 150-170 gr FN bullets. I know I can run the GC's faster but the non GC's are cheaper. Do I need some sort of die that will bell my case mouths slightly so I don't shave lead when seating the bullet ? I have a loadbook with Lyman and RCBS load data so I'm pretty good there. Appreciate all input.

Lyman "M" die is THE secret to cast bullet loading in bottleneck cases. I use mine for 30 Herrett, 30-30 and 308 by simply changing the depth of the expander plug. (I keep a record of the distance from the plug top to the die for easy adjustment when changing among them.)

BTW, try the "Ed Harris" load of 13.0 RedDot. Fabulous for doing exactly what you seek.

Boolit Mold
    I put "The Load" by Ed Harris in my 308's that I shoot in my Encore Pistol. 13 gr of Red Dot behind a 125 JHP will give me dime size groups at 75 yards. I'm guestimating about 1600 fps. I do know they'll shoot thru and thru a whitetail at 75 yards. Last one I took this season fell to it. I want to try the cast in the pistol and my 308 Encore rifle.

Boolit Mold
    I'm going for it. I have some 165 gr RNFP's and a Lyman M Die headed this way. Already have 5 of the powders listed in my loadbook. I'll scrub my 308 barrels good and start finding out what they like.

Cast Hunter

The Lyman 311291 shoots very well in my .308 (with IMR 3031). Both whitetails and wild pork have succumbed to this combo.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

In Remebrance

RCBS 30-180FN works really well for me in the 308 with the 13.0 RD load.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    The GC is your friend. It allows softer alloy to be pushed at higher velocity than without, and still works fine at lower velocity. If you're buying commercial hardcast, good luck!

You'll need to chamfer the inside of the case mouths and either flare them ala handgun cartridges, or use a step expander like the Lyman M die. Lee makes a "universal expander" that simply flares the case mouth. If you have expanders for 32acp, 32 S&W, 32 H&R Mag, etc, they may work.

Regarding commercial hardcast, most use a hard lube that seems to be mostly parafin. A light coat of liquid alox may help.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with all that has been posted in this reply. I get excellent accuracy in 308 from 2 different rifles, and with a large number of different blt weights. Good luck!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Mold
    M die came in today so I loaded up some different loads to start testing with. I did a dozen with 15 gr of Unique, a dozen with 14 gr of Unique, a dozen with 13 gr of Unique and 6 more with 25 gr of H4895. I seated the base of the bullet even with the bottom of the neck of the case. Hope to get some range time Friday afternoon or maybe this weekend.