WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 8mm Karabiner seating depth

8mm Karabiner seating depth

I have been making up some dummy rounds and seeing how the 8mm Karabiner will work in my Mauser Sporter I am building on a good Persian 98/29 barreled action. Looks like thing will work well, but I am curious how the specs stack up against how this bullet fits and works in your 8mm rifle.

My rifle has .312 x .323 barrel specs. With the bullet sized .325 it has no problem being tight in the throat, so the throat must be at least that big. The barrel has little or no wear.

The bullet (Lyman No. 2 alloy) has a nose of .320.

Seated to an OAL of 2.858, the bullet ogive contacts the rifling. This is the maximum length I can get without trying to drive that big nose into the rifling.

Visualy, seated as above, the top driving band, top lube groove and half the next driving band is sticking out of the case.

That leave the gas check and the lubed section of the gas check shank in the boiler room. Not my favorite thing, but I can't see how it can be avoided with this bullet.

I don't see any need to lube the top lube groove that is sticking out of the case. I think I am going to start with 16/2400.

How does all of this stack up with your experience with the 8mm Karabiner?
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 11-18-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Karbiner Loads

My OAL for the same bullet in reformed 8 X 57 brass from military LC 06' cases is 2.795.

One of my best loads in my rifle is 12.0 Unique as seen in the photo below:
    By the way, I've also shot 17.0 grs. of 2400 with the same bullet and same
    OAL with equal accuracy.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My gunsmith built a barreled action with a hand picked barrel and I did all the wood working:

Thanks,

Ben in
    Alabama

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Ben; 11-19-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Chargar-
    The boolit was designed for the worn or oversize military mausers. It was made expressly for the M48s and fits them like a glove so that the gas check is at the base of the neck and the boolit engraves in the throat, at least the original six cavity run did that. Mid South has did quite a few runs of these and I understand the dimensions have varied on some of them somewhat. I have 4 rifles that works out in and two that have the tighter specs where they do what you have experienced. The Saeco 190 gr. RN or Lyman 323471 should fit your rifle extremely well and they shoot great in the tighter bores.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 11-19-2006 at 01:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    i loaded this boolit in my vz-24 and was able to set them out as far as possible and never hit the rifling.
    Some where between here and there.....

Smile

In all of my Mausers, I have to seat this boolit and the Maximum right down to the top band to get them to feed. Else, the side of the meplat will hang on the edge of the chamber. Mausers don't work for single feeding rounds without putting them through the magazine. It'd take seating out another quarter inch or so to reach the rifling.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."