Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Pet load load suggestions

Pet load load suggestions

I am moving onto reloading for my Kimber Compact. 4"barrel.
    The plan is to use Lee's 200grn, RNFP mold.
    Available powder is Unique.

Any suggestions welcome!
    And no, it is not for pets.

Boolit Grand Master
    GREAT avatar photo.

RCBS Cast Bullet Manual (1986, pp. 165) shows load weights of Unique powder ranging from 5.0 grains (726 FPS) to 5.6 grains (806 FPS) in a 5" Colt Gov't. Model barrel. These seem to be target velocity ranges, and I've safely run a bit more Unique than this under 200 grain boolits for 900-925 FPS in full-sized S&W, Glock, Kimber, and SIG-Sauer 45 ACPs.

Unique may not be the single-best fuel in the 45 ACP, but it will certainly work.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Cool, thanks alot!

Boolit Grand Master

I am a huge fan of Unique. I use it a lot, but it has a bit of a strange behavior in
    .45 ACP under light (200 and lower) boolits. Velocities will vary greatly, up to 100 fps or
    more in a string - BUT the good news is that accuracy is still quite good. So, when we
    were concerned about being chronographed in IPSC competition, this was an issue.
    Otherwise, it is not much of an issue.

Heavier boolits and tighter crimps improved the velocity variation quite a lot.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used 6.5 - 7.5 Unique behind 200 SWC cast in Colt 1911. Got no complaints

I had some left over 200gr. rnfp from a local commercial caster I used a load out of the latest speer reloading manual. It was 4.5 grains of red dot. For some reason that was listed as a max load. But It was a lot of fun and the brass just drops at your feet so you are not chasing it all over the country side. I also had some trailbosss laying around and tried 5.5grains the hogdon site list that as a max load. Again it was really fun and brass at your feet