Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Presses and shell holders

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Pacific Presses and shell holders

Here's a question for those of you that have been doing this much longer than I . Do Pacific loading presses take the same shell holders as RCBS or Lyman ? Same as in interchangable is what I mean .

I have an old Pacific 007 press that does but I was wondering about the older one such as there "multi-power" press and others .

Thanks , Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Pressman will know the answer.
    shaune509

Boolit Master

Multi power presses will as well as the "Super Deluxe". Presses older that this have rams that are caliber specific and do not take separate shell holders however many of these have been converted with more modern rams that take universal shell holders. If you see one advertised that takes a universal shell holder or RCBS type shell holder compatible you are probably safe. I have looked at several that have been on ebay that have gone for a reasonable price. Pacific was a dominate maker of reloading tools at one time. At one time I knew a man that used the old "C" Pacific that had the newer type of ram and he swore by them. Here is one on Ebay that the guy says takes universal shell holders. http://cgi.ebay.com/Pacific-Reloadin...5#ht_500wt_949

Ken
    Last edited by skeet1; 02-23-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Master

One more thing about these older Pacific reloading presses. The handle works on the up swing. I don't know if they can be changed to work the other direction.

Ken

Thanks skeet1 , at least that seller has an idea of what's going on . Some of the sellers I see on that site ( to paraphrase "Gone With The Wind" ) seem to say "Ah don't know nuthin' 'bout no reloadin' presses !!"

I've seen two "multi-power" presses , a blue and a red one . I can only guess they represent a era of time for Pacific . Since my "007" press is the same color as the red I will offer a guess that they are at least close in time period . With that guess offered then I'd say the blue is from an earlier time . None of my guesses confirm the use of universal shell holders though .

The older brown color I had seen advertised as pre-war with caliber specific ram .

I've been watching the gun show for a decent press at a fair price to buy for my nephew . It seems some of the stuff on the auction site is more "fair" even after shipping than what the locals want . Of course the thought has crossed my mind to upgrade my old "007" to a new Redding and give him the old "007" to use . Not that I need a new press mind you , I'd just hate having to investigate and see what American makers are having their presses made in china , it's way to depressing .

Pressman , are ya out there ??

Thanks , Jack

Boolit Master
    "Do Pacific loading presses take the same shell holders as RCBS or Lyman ? Same as in interchangable is what I mean ."

Supposed to. In fact, it was Pacific that initiated our now universal die and shell holder system.

Most of the older simple toggle lever systems are reversable, including Pacific.

Boolit Master

Jack Stanley,

I think that the difference between the red and the blue Pacific tools is when they were making the transition over to Hornady. Other than the color I don't believe that there is any difference.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    One thing about the Pacific Super Deluxe; I have one that takes universal shellholders, but they are held in by a small set screw. Not quite as handy as snapping them in with a spring, but it works okay.

Robert

Banned
    1hole, you got it in error.
    Pacific desigened the reloading press as we know it in 1929/30. That includes the 7/8-14 die and primer arm. After WWII they added the top of frame lugs for a primer feed tube.

Untill they were bought by Deitmeier they operated upstroke ONLY. Deitmeier fixed that with his purchas of the company in 1960.
    In 1955 RCBS came out with the snap in shellholder that we all use today. Pacific never picked it up, even though it had no patent protection. Again, Deitmeier fixed that.

The Pacific press was so popular that everyone entering the reloading tool market copied it in one form or another. The original Pacific ram is the "standard dimension" ram of the market for many, many years.

Ken

Well then , maybe I can add the later Pacific presses to the "look at" list for the lad's loading kit .

A fella I know offered to give the boy an old Herters press but I don't know which one or condition as of yet . He says it has a conversion for universal shellholders .

Jack

Boolit Master
    Well Press, you read a bit more into what I posted than is there. What I would like is for more people to know how much reloaders owe Pacific.

What I was referering to is the head dimensions of the shell holders at .125" deep to match the inner dimensions of their 7/8"x14 dies. Pacific originally cut shell holders into the top of interchangable rams but that ended in the late 60s when they went to interchangeable holders but they sure started the idea of interchangable shellholders. The method of retaining current shell holders, screw or spring, isn't a part of the shell holder itself.

When I mentioned the old reversable lever/toggle system I said "most" presses, not all, and indeed some of that "included" some Pacifics that were reversable. Pacific probably sold more presses after the explosive growth of reloading in the 60s than had been sold previously but I don't know that.

RCBS # 404406 is the adapter for converting rcbs/pacific/ch ram shell holder press to button type.
    It is a ram cut to fit the button. New cost was $31

Boolit Mold
    From CH
    http://www.ch4d.com/

Universal 'C' Press Ram

Fits virtually all ?C? and ?O? type presses. Features relieved clearance for spent primer removal, a quick detach clip for easy shell holder insertion and removal, which also gives you floating shell holder action for perfect alignment.

(Rams do not include shell holder)

Part # Description Price

412090 Universal C Press Ram $ 22.30

Banned
    1hole you are correct on what we owe Pacific, they invented the relaoding press as we know it. On top of that they standardized the dies size and the ram dimensions.

Their marketing was lax after WWII and sales dropped a lot, though they made several variations and new models. When Dietmeier bought the company in 1960 he turned Pacific into a modern reloading tool company with a complete redo of the model line. Including, for teh first time, down stroke operation or convertible up/down stroke operation.
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master

I just saw one at a thrift store today for $15. It was the C framed model and looked almost new. I almost got it because I hate to pass up a bargain but I don't really need another press.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    FYI, despite this being an old thread.... I just picked up a used Pacific Multi-Power press and the undisputed answer is "yes", it works with all standard RCBS/Lee style shell holders. Very robust machine. Am getting it all cleaned up to use as a 2nd press next to my RCBS Rock Chucker II.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Here's a question for those of you that have been doing this much longer than I . Do Pacific loading presses take the same shell holders as RCBS or Lyman ? Same as in interchangable is what I mean .

I have an old Pacific 007 press that does but I was wondering about the older one such as there "multi-power" press and others .

Thanks , Jack
    The Pacific presses that take the snap in shell holders will accept RCBS, Lyman, Lee and of course Pacific shell holders.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

My old Pacific Multi Power "O" type press, was the cat's meow when I bought it new 'bout 40 years ago, uses standard snap in shell holders. It still works as good as it did on day one.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    My old Pacific Multi Power "O" type press, ...
    That's the one I have. Pretty good machine even for this day and age.

Boolit Grand Master

My blue Pacific Super Deluxe , C press, with a white plastic/rubber handle , has a reversable linkage. I can hook it up to size on the up or down stroke as I want it.
    The shell holder is standard snap in , spring loaded , like Lee, Lyman and RCBS make .
    CH4D makes snap in shell holder adapters for other rams, like the ones that have set screws.
    Be careful when buying a press, make sure it has snap shell holders in or that CH4D adaptors are available.
    CH4D helped me get adaptors for a Lyman All-American Turret and a Eagle Cobra 300 so I could use them again.
    I didn't think to check when I bought those two and thought I had made a big mistake....CH4D saved the day !
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast