RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Where to find 1/4x28 seat plugs

Where to find 1/4x28 seat plugs

I need an assortment of seat plugs for both 357 and 44 magnum. Anyone know where I can get them at? I've tried rcbs website, which, frustrated me, but I didnt find any. Tried ebay, and midway, and just google, and couldnt find an assortment pack, or singles.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would call Huntington Die Specialties in Oroville, CA with your question. 530/534-1210.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    no one puts out an"'assortment"' it is either round nose or flat point.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no idea what a 'seat plug' is or is used for, but zerk fittings, the thing you put a grease gun on to lube a ball joint are 1/4x28. From any auto parts store, could you adapt that with a hack saw, files, drills??? Just a thought.

Boolit Master

A seat plug is in the seating die to "push" the projectile to the proper depth in the case.
    Round nose or flat nose so you dont alter the profile of the lead projectile as you push on it.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

RCBS used to make an assortment pack of seat plugs for each caliber that you could buy as an accessory to the die kit. They no longer offer them however.

Boolit Master
    Some years ago, GONRA wrote RCBS for quotes on 1/4-28 Seat Plugs for
    specfic modern Auto Pistol Caliber soft point boolits.
    They quoted, I bought, verked Just Fine in a Big Reloading Opus a year ago.....

I contacted RCBS in email asking about 1/4x28 seat plugs. They told me they didnt offer them anymore, but asked what I was looking for. I told them what I wanted, and the gent said he'd send me what he had that he thought I could use or modify.

Boolit Master

If you were willing to change dies, I started a thread on here years ago about how to modify a Lyman top punch for bullet sizing to be used as the seating stem in a Lee seating die. It is also possible to use epoxy to make a custom seating stem.

Boolit Master
    I made my own flat nose punch with standard home shop tools. I started with a 1/4-28 bolt of the proper length and used a threading die to cut threads for the full length of the bolt. I then chucked the bolt in my drill press to spin it while I held a file against the bolt head. In this way I gradually rounded the bolt head and reduced the diameter as needed. I also used the file to flatten and smooth the bolt head where it contacts the bullet nose. I've made two of these: one for 38-357 and one for 44.

The RCBS seating die in 357 and 44 Magnum came with either a round nose or a semi-wadcutter seating plug. I don't think the round nose comes with the set any more. I don't know what "assortment" you want, but all you will ever need is a plug for a round nose or a flat point.

If you need a round nose, the best way to go about that is to shop Ebay for an orphan seating die in 38 Special or 44 Special that has such a plug in the die.

A seating plug that is dead flat can be used with an bullet with a flat spot on the nose. Don't worry the bullet alignment will be just fine. I take any RCBS seating plug and turn it dead flat in the lathe. See pic below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I think the modified flat seat plug will solve most of my issues. Thanks for the idea Char-gar

Old west bullet moulds

Bernie at Old WEST BULLET MOULD may have what you want or modify one for you.
    He's a really nice guy and makes everything one at a time the old fashion way on the side, when he's not doing his regular job.
    I stopped buy his place years ago and he taught me to make bullets. I've bought most everything, years ago, from him. Made in USA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	177715

Old WEST BULLET MOULD ph. 970-200-7219
    allisonmonument@aol.com