Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attention Dillon Owners

Boolit Master

Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly
    McMaster-Carr has the same knobs in black, gray, red or yellow for $4.75 for 10!

You want the 5/16 Rosette knobs. They work great! Search for "Press-Fit Plastic Thumb Screw Heads" or try searching by part number "94052A343." That is for the red ones. Shipping wasn't bad either. I think I got 20 delivered to my door for about $16! The following is a link to the correct web page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3081/=b6jnaa

If you have lots of powder measures or lots of friends with Dillon loaders, you can save a lot of money buying them in bulk!

Quote Originally Posted by jfg View Post
    By the way, all my powder measures that don't have the knobs I posted above, have 7/16" bolt heads, which is what most 1/4" bolts have.
    These bolts are all 1/4" x 28 tpi.
    Don't let the whole 1/4 versus 5/16 thing confuse you. These rosette knobs have NO threads. They are designed to snap over the heads of caps screws. Cap screws had round heads and use an allen wrench to turn them. The parts I referenced are the correct ones for Dillon powder measures. I know. I have bought them and use them.

I have had this same discussion with many other folks. You can't find the right thread pitch because it doesn't matter.

If you want some cheap knobs to make adjusting the Dillon powder measures easier, order the ones from McMaster-Carr. If you don't, it's OK with me.

Boolit Mold
    I know what a cap screw is. You are absolutely right; I completely over looked “cap screw”.
    What can I say, I was wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just grab the nut and turn it. While a knob might make it easier I don't find it to be an issue.

Brad

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    There was another post on this six or eight months ago (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=35255). I got my plastic knob at Ace (or was it True Value) Hardware in a blue color that very well matches the Dillon paint color and is shaped like the black one in the photos, above. As I recall, it cost a couple of bucks.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 03-01-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Been using these for years. They come in various forms all from Home Hardware. Dillon's excuse is rather lame IMHO. Might be just a statement from a counter clerk.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    What's the difference between a screw and a bolt?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post

Paul
    Just a guess but one has a nut on the end. Maybe the term should be "bolt up" rather than "screw up".

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post

Paul
    Are you referring to the cap screw statements? A "traditional" bolt has a hex head and a threaded section. A cap screw has a round head, which may have some knurling around it, and uses an allen wrench to turn it. It also has a threaded section.

The "Rosette" knobs lots of folks are referring to in this thread snap or press over the head of the existing bolt head.

I hope that helped!

By the way, I just ordered 20 more black ones and 20 red ones from McMaster-Carr. They are so cheap I'm giving them to all my Dillon loading buds!

See my entry above for the link to their page. $4.95 for 10 of them!
    Last edited by Alvarez Kelly; 03-02-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I must have a really strong thumb and forefinger, because I just grab the bolt and turn it without a knob ?
    Both ends WHAT a player

550 Widgets

I bought one of the brass knobbed bolts 8 or 10 years ago someone was selling on one of the forums - really well made, with numbered graduations. While the thread pitch and tolerances render it less than micrometer-accurate, it makes small adjustments a lot easier. Don't remember what I paid, but it wasn't much and it's another well-made widget of which one can be justifiably proud...
    Maj, USAF (ret)
    Member, SCV
    Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
    Benefactor Member, NRA

"A good plan, violently executed today, is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
    - Gen George S. Patton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12