WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: New to the slug loading

New to the slug loading

I've reloaded metallic cartridges for a while now.Ready to give it a shot at slugs. Picked up some hammerheads, a roll crimp tool and some 2 3/4" Cheddite hulls from STI. I'll be using IMR 4756 powder.
    I have the load data STI sent me, Just wondering if there were any tips or tricks I should know.I'll be loading for my Mossberg 500 with 24" fully rifled and ported barrel.
    With the price of SST's and XP3's getting more rediculous,I'm with everyone else just looking for a good deer load.
    Preserve Wildlife,,,,use freezer bags!

Boolit Man
    Maximum finish shell length for 2 3/4" hulls= 2.435"
    Befor crimping 2 3/4" hulls need only1/4" to 5/16" below top of rim to slug.
    Hope this helps to get you started for the SPW Hammerheads

Banned
    Hello Crappiejig, are these slugs that you are talking about SPW sabot.

The loading data calls for 38.5 grains of IMR 4756 for 1450fps marked as max capacity!
    I would use a drill press setup to get a deep, tight roll crimp. Start at 36.5 grains and come up. Start with a clean barrel and since you plan to check how accurate they will be with your gun, clean your barrel with a brush every 3 to 5 shots, keep an eye on the barrel ports as they might get clogged with plastic from sabot. A lot of people end up cutting the ported portion of the barrel! Do not worry about that at this stage.
    Ajay Madan
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

Yes sir, Vdo, That is the exact slug I was speaking of.I thought I would start with these slugs in my search of a good, accurate load for deer.
    Thanks for the advice!

Boolit Master

crappiejig, if you would be interested I'd be happy to give you some lee 1oz slugs to try, just gotta arrange a meet, since we seem to be fairly close to each other.

Banned
    Its nice of Moonie to offer to help you with 1oz Lee Drive Key slugs and read this post too.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107603
    I hope it helps.
    Ajay Madan

Thanks Moonie, That would be great.

Vdo,
    Those SPW slugs look very much like a design Greg5278 was developing.

Banned
    Good morning Jmsj, from what I know Greg 's slug is based on another wad and not this perticular wad, but quite close to it! Have you seen Greg's slug?
    I have a few designs that I have been working on!

These ones you can buy at Midway for $ 7 for ten.
    And here is Greg's slug.

Ajay Madan
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 02-28-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Adding pictures to document the point!

Ajay,
    I have only seen pictures of Greg's slugs. There was a post on this forum a while back by dixie slugs that showed a picture of his slugs. I have PM'ed him on a few occasions regarding his design, he is a great guy and gave me a lot of advice on slugs. Greg has put in a lot of time and resources into developing his design. He also offered to sell me some of his slugs.
    After talking w/ him I decided that with my very limited experience, I needed to go and start from the beginning and develop my basic knowledge and skill with the Lee 1 oz., Lyman 525 and round balls.
    My end goal is to develop a great do-all hunting load for smooth bore shotguns. I know I am going about htis the slow way but I am really enjoying the learning journey.
    jmsj

Banned
    Hello Jmsj next time try this set up with Fed 12S0 wad with a nitro card below Ley Key slug in wad its a good fit and fold crimp!

Here's a evil slug and a bad fit in wad if you are using a single shot gun, and how do you correct a bad fit. Just put a nitro card below the slug and the fit is good!

Its time to play and have fun!
    Ajay Madan
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 02-26-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Add yet another picture

Banned

Here's a good roll crimper!

Good morning, here is a picture of one of the best roll crimper, made by Lyman and how a good tight roll crimp should look!
    You must use proper drill press to do the job for you!

Hoping it helps.
    Ajay Madan

Thanks Vdo and everyone else for the help.I should have a few loaded up to test in a couple days!