Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Times I Suprise Myself

Some Times I Suprise Myself

so i have this old Ruger Single Six that has been dragged to Hell. the barrel was so rusted that there were big rust craters in it. so i decided it was time to bring the old girl back to life. i called Ruger to see about buying another barrel but they will only sell you a barrel if they install it. so my only other choice was to reline the old barrel. after looking at the prices of the tools that i would need and for this one time project, i decided to make them myself and save some money. so here are some photo's of the reciever wrench and barrel blocks to hold the barrel while using my shop vise. i made the liner from a old 10/22 barrel i had laying around here for years. well this project turned out pretty well and i am happy with the results. next is to finish the pistol with Duracot.
    Rick

Look's great to me!

Super Moderator

..............Looks like darn fine craftsmanship to me!

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance

Looks like you did a fine job breathing new life into and old firearm, I give you two thumbs up.

Banned

Cool!

Wow..

I can only dream of doing work like that

ok, fast foward to two years later.i never got around to DuraCoating the pistol. now that i retired i wanted to see if i could make a longer barrel for it using the other half of the 10/22 that i used to make the liner.sooooooo...... i bought a 14" bed extension kit from Little Machine Shop to turn my 7x10 lathe into a 7x14 which is just the right lenght to do pistol barrels as long as they are not to fat. after doing a barrel stub on my contender and chambering it fo 6.5 carcano i felt i was ready to attempt a longer barrel for the single six. so i turned down the other half of the 10/22 barrel between centers threaded the barrel , adjusted the barrel cylinder gap, squared up the front sight, and drilled and tapped for the front sight and ejector shroud...and walaa.... just need to fire lap the barrel this friday and then on to DuraCoat...what do you think? oh yeah the barrel is now 8 1/8th inches long. the gray square above the ejector shroud is the dove tail cut for the rear sight. once bead blasted and dura coated it should not be noticeable.
    Last edited by Rick459; 04-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I would install a filler block in the dovetail cut and turn it to match the barrel profile before finishing, otherwise it will be glaringly obvious.

How does it shoot with the 10/22 refitted barrel?

Please put some finish on the old girl, she is looking sad and neglected.

Robert

i guess i could have done the dovetail slot that way but good old JB weld was close at hand. i will see how it looks after i duracoat the pistol. this is just my carry around the property pistol for snakes and ravens that try to attack my cat's. i haven't shot it yet...that will be tomorrow at my weekly range day. will post pic's when i complete the duracoat.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I like it. Fine job indeed.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master
    Okay, I couldn't tell from the picture that the slot was filled. It just didn't seem right to leave the slot empty and duracoat over it.

Robert

went to the range today to test fire the pistol and fire lap the barrel and forcing cone. i used the midway lapping compound kit to coat the bullets with 220..320..and 600 grit 5 bullets each in the three grits. i am satisfied with the results and in the next outing i will install the .22 mag cylinder and see how that shoot's with this longer barrel. next up is to duracoat this piece. more to follow.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you for doing it right! It's nice to see somebody who'e ideas aren't bigger than their skill sets.
    You see? all it takes is a lot of skill, a lot of time, the right tools, and money! lol!
    Seriously, nice job. You took something broken and made a usable piece out of it. As a side note, it looks darn good too! That's what it's all about for me.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

thanks goodsteel...i appreciate the compliment..
    Rick

well just as i am getting ready to start on the single-six my girlfriend say's can you do mine first....soooooo...i did her Kimber first. i already started to bead blast the single so that is next. i did her Kimber with duracoat flat black that i will also be using on the single six...so what do you think?

Boolit Master

1911 looks great! Are those "Series 80" style guts? Just realized those "guts" are probably the external extractor that Kimber used on some of their guns.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

yes her kimber uses simular 80 series inards. it also uses an external three piece extractor. she is really happy with it now. i'm almost done with my single six. finished duracoating all the parts today. will assemble it in a couple of days.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome. Good job. What kind of bead blasting rig do you have?
    Its not the AR-15, its the PG -13.

i just have a small cabinet purchased from harbor freight. it's big enough to do a barreled action. just waiting for the duracoat to dry up some more then i wil start to re-assemble the single six. will post pictures of the completed pistol.
    Rick

ok, got the single six back toghther and it came out looking better than before. i would like to find a brass frame for it as the frame on it now has some pretty deep gouges in it. but hey...this is my snake gun..i guess i will try to duracoat my glock 23 next....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast