RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester High Wall..how accurate?

Boolit Master

Winchester High Wall..how accurate?

Are the new Winchester High Walls (not the BPCR model) as accurate as the Pedersoli, Uberti, and Sharps High Walls? Let's assume they have the same sights on them to rule this factor out. Let's also assume the Winchester either came with a good trigger (which I assume it doesn't) or had a trigger job done. I just want to know if they have the potential for as good accuracy as you get with the Sharps, Uberti's, etc. Thanks
    Last edited by NSB; 02-22-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have several, .223 bought for donor to make 25-35. 30 WCF I am shooting fixed and still chasing, solid 1-1/2" at 100. My 32-40 I am breeching and usually .8"
    ten shot groups 243/250 with 203 Borden and thats after only 100 rounds
    since new. Still have not changed charge or seat depth. Pushed bore 100 times with JB before first shot. The Purist look down there nose a little at Schuetzen matches but I am right on their butt at target turn in. I wish I had the capital to grab some more right now. They ain't cheap, but there not a $7,500 Ballard or 44 your afraid to take for a car ride. May the force be with you!

Boolit Master

I dont really know how accurate the ones you mention are but ill bet they will beat the first two. The Jap's do build a gun and I like mine in 32-40.

Boolit Master
    I have seen quite a few new Winchester/Browning High walls made in Japan rifles in competition over the last 20 years and from what I see they shoot as well as most other rifles I see at these BPCR matches including those made by Shiloh, Ballard, Lone Star, C Sharps, and Pedersolli. One of my shooting buddies shoots both a new Winchester in 38-55 and an old Browning B78 in 45-70 and he wins a lot of matches with them. So what I would say is that they shoot very well but personally I do not like them due to the complicated disassembly and special tools required to assemble them. I know this for a fact as I had a B 78 that I took appart and it took me two weeks to get it back together again. I have heard of a tool that you can buy that makes it easy to do but I did not have the tool at the time.

nick,,,i have two...a winchester and a browning that im having a snazzy new gm 38-55 barrel installed on. i like em but havnt tryed to dissasemble em yet myself...whats the tool needed and how does it work?

yes i got the "book" from texas mac. i have halfheartedly read it but havnt gotten the noids up yet to experiment with my pristine winchester.......both by the way are the maruko [spelling?] made.

Boolit Master
    Funny you should ask about the High Wall. Today I was shooting some targets for the soon to be ending ( get your targets in) 22 cal postal match. I was shooting an original thin side High Wall that had been re barreled to the ever so popular (1930) 22/3000 2R Lovell. Shooting the Ranch Dog boolit and a case full of 3031 I managed to shoot a .766" average for all the targets required for the match at 100 yards.
    Not great but does show what you can expect from a High Wall. BTW that is a top end load and if we ever get enough sun light to chronograph should prove to be running at close to 2700 fps.

Boolit Buddy
    Bigted,
    Other than a cup-tipped punch to drift out the trigger housing pin and a spanner wrench to remove the firing pin housing, the only tools I'm aware of to make disassembly/assembly easier is a small kit sold by John Stepp. Since you have my book see the discussion on page 113 and Figure 39 on page 114. I'm betting this is what NickSS is referring to.

The items are not required but can make disassembly/assembly of the Browning 1885 a little easier if it's your first time to pull one apart. I have not tried them on the B78 which has a different trigger group.
    ======================

NickSS,
    If you ever have to pull your B-78 apart again, I suggest you contact the American Single Shot Rifle Association (ASSRA). Due to the design changes the M1885 disassembly/reassembly instructions in my book will not be very useful for the B-78, and vice versa. The only source I’m aware of for disassembly and assembly instructions for the B-78 is Browning’s Field Service Manual, which is available from the ASSRA Archival Library. Contact Rudi Prusok at (906) 225-1828 or via email at rprusok@nmu.edu. Rudi is the Archivist for the ASSRA and will include a few other documents on the B-78 along with the Field Service Manual. ASSRA membership is not required, but you will be required to pay a small fee for the documents and shipping.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

thanks texasmac. i do have your book and i have read it but i do not have a reasson yet to dissasemble my winchester. its been so good to me that im deeply in love with it and as soon as the honeymoon is over ill bring it to parade rest and see whats under the hood so to speak.

this is by far the funnest 45-70 ive ever had...and ive had a boatload of em...it has everything i could ever wish for. ive taken the wrist mounter tang site off and drifted the rear sight out and drifted back in a full buckhorn with a full curl buckhorn. i use this full curl as a peep site and have removed the small "notch" blade that lived in the bottom of the buckhorn so now the full curl is complete in the round "hunting" style peep hole and is very fast to mount and shoot this way. i had to install a higher front sight as well becouse the stock lower sight on front had me shooting the stars as it was. the other thing i like is that when i want a bit longer hunting yardage i just use the little open area in the top of the curl to hold the bead in for the extra yardage needed...different loads will differ in where this extra yardage will hit and of course where it is origanaly sighted in at as well.

anyway iv prattled on enough and "nsb" you will definetly love this "hunter" model of winchester 1885 rifle. i have installed a lace-up recoil pad on mine with some dense foam in the curl of the cresent buttplate not so much for recoil as for the extra length of pull that my 6 foot 5 inch frame requires...altho i gotta admit that the extra padding is nice on the shoulder as well......shhhhhh......dont repeat this to anybody as i dont want my soft side to show too much.

also welcome to an incredible forum with pretty much a super group of people that will help us newbee's along on our journey in both cast boolits and for myself the imensly satasfying and rewarding arena of blackpowder cartridge shooting.

This is a 200 meter (actually, 228 yards measured with a RF) target I shot with my Winchester (Miroku) Hi-Wall in 38-55. While one shot is out of the group, the remaining six go about 3 inches. All of them would have taken the small ram down.

Same rifle, same distance. Three shots this time.

Boolit Buddy
    After reading my earlier post, I should qualify my comment directed to NickSS. Since the overall B-78 receiver & action design, excluding the trigger group, are the same or similar to the M1885 receiver and action design, the disassembly/assembly instructions in my book are sufficient to disassembly and reassemble the main action components of the B-78, but will not cover the detailed disassembly, adjustments and reassembly of the B-78 trigger group. The Browning B-78 Field Service Manual is definitely required to understand the functionality and make adjustment to the B-78 trigger group.

The Miroku manufactured Browning and Winchester 1885 has a simpler trigger group, the details of which are fully discussed in my book along with a detailed description of the functionality of each action part as the rifle is loaded, fired and the spent case is extracted.

Regards,
    Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Doubs that's some nice shooting.
    Should take care of the are they acccurate question.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    doubs43; That's some good shooting with any gun. Nice!!!

My sporter model shoots everything well,rcbs 300and 405gc,saeco350gc and 480pb,405pb mtn mold, and 420gc brp.I got a 3x9 leupold on mine which helps.I like this rifle a lot for hunting and target shooting.I like not having to take it apart to clean after shooting,only need one shot anyways.

Boolit Master
    God, I had to laugh when I read the comments about re-assembling a B-78! I made the HUGE mistake of taking one apart 30 years ago with nothing to guide me except my wits (hah!) and it took me three evenings to get the thing back together. I still have nightmares about trying to get those two coil springs to go into place while pushing the whole works back up into the receiver!! Ah, memories!

Don & NSB, thank you both. This afternoon I shot my Winchester Hi-Wall Traditional Hunter with 28" barrel in 38-55 using 248 grain Lyman boolits. At 150 yards, the first group of 5 measured 2.5". The second target had three in one ragged hole in the X-ring with two called out... my fault; not the rifle. On average, I think it shoots better with the RCBS 312 BPS boolit that weighs in at 318 grains.

I've been more than pleased with my Hi-Wall.

daubs...what is the twist rate in your traditional hunter. im getting the browning barreled with a 14 inch twist and wondered what your stock hunter is.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    daubs...what is the twist rate in your traditional hunter. im getting the browning barreled with a 14 inch twist and wondered what your stock hunter is.
    Mine is 1:18 and shoots the RCBS 312 BPS boolit (318 grains from my mold) quite accurately. It also does great with the 248 grain Lyman. However, I'd think 1:14 would work very well with boolits of 310 grains and heavier.

rite on...thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had many over the years and they all shot well. I have a 22LR now and a buddy has a house out in the bay. I'm planning on taking it out and shooting "sticks" on the beach 300 yards away.
    Dennis

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    I've had many over the years and they all shot well. I have a 22LR now and a buddy has a house out in the bay. I'm planning on taking it out and shooting "sticks" on the beach 300 yards away.
    Dennis
    What did the Winchester 38-55 cost when they ran them recently?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast