Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Cast Bullets" by E.H. Harrison: Bugging the NRA to Stock it Again

Boolit Buddy

"Cast Bullets" by E.H. Harrison: Bugging the NRA to Stock it Again

I just sent the NRA Store an email asking them to return to selling this book.
    I'm asking others to do the same, please.

I can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a post suggesting this book. But since copies are hard to find for sale, and often rather expensive when you do see one, it's apparent to me there aren't enough to go around.

I know bullet casting isn't the biggest part of the shooting sports so it may not be the biggest seller, but I think there is enough demand to make it sell well enough. There are more people getting started in casting everyday (probably thanks to ammo costs) as anyone who has tried to order anything like mould handles or other common items can attest.
    Between us new guys, those who have never been able to buy a new copy, and those whose copies are getting ragged, I think they could sell the book.

The email to request items to be added to the NRA Store:
    products@nrahq.org

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I totaly agree with the above. I have an old copy of " Cast Bullets" and it a great amount of information about boolit casting for such a small package. I would hate to be without mine.

Other valuable, out of print, publications are the Handloader magazine anuals 1990, 1991, 1992. I think that these are the only 3 that they produced.

I have done as you requested and emailed NRA and asked them to make "Cast Bullets" book avaiable again.

KennethF

Boolit Master
    Good idea Barry!

Boolit Buddy
    Great idea. E-mail sent to the NRA.

Boolit Master

Now here is something that just begs for a group buy.

Jack

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    Now here is something that just begs for a group buy.

Jack
    Agreed

Yes to a group buy, if we can find a supplier....I could use several copies, give to friends who really need one.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Bub
    Maybe Lee can print them

I just bought a used copy for $60 some form Amazon.com. Im glad i did

I bought mine off of abebooks.com some time back. At that time, there were several copies listed. I just looked and there are none listed right now. Keep an eye on abebooks and one will show up.

Boolit Master

What about the Supplement #1?
    I have both, in great condition. Will be counting pages ,anticipating a total scan.
    Sounds like a lot of work. moving it from paper to a CD.
    TTYL
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

moving it from paper to CD is no big deal. Reprinting it is no big deal. Doing either legally is a big deal. The real issue is getting the NRA to republish their copywrited material, which they legally own, or licensing another publisher to print or distribute the material. BarryinIN has the right idea.

BTW I got my copies for $10 on ebay. The seller had a "BIN" and must not have known what it's worth
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

Yep, JAIT, 165 pages. Don't see that happening anytime soon.
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Maybe Lee can print them
    I'm new to this, but even I know that it would run undersize by about 20 pages.

Thanks to everyone who has, or is going to, email them. Maybe someone there will show up at work tomorrow morning to find a string of emails asking for this book.

Hopefully, something will happen here.
    I know the reasoning against it will be a perceived lack of interest/sales. But I'd think that if they can justify stocking door stop alarms, leather garment bags, and fleece throws, they can probably keep some books about boolits around to sell.

I know I can find one on a used book site (someday), but I'd rather spend the effort this way if it will get a bunch of new ones printed and in circulation. And I'd rather give the money to the NRA than some book seller I know nothing about.

Since I'm fantasizing, maybe any new edition could include some updates by C. E. Harris and/or others.

Boolit Master
    I bought my copy along with the supplement in the early 90's and it's well worn now. Even back then the book was difficult to get from the NRA. I had to call them several times to find it in stock. I was told they only printed a few at time because it wasn't in big demand. I think they might be surprised now, judging from the fact that bullet molds are out of stock everywhere. Hopefully the resurgence in bullet casting will get the NRA interested enough to at least republish these books, and maybe even a print a few new articles.

G

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Gee_Wizz01 View Post
    I bought my copy along with the supplement in the early 90's and it's well worn now. Even back then the book was difficult to get from the NRA. I had to call them several times to find it in stock. I was told they only printed a few at time because it wasn't in big demand. I think they might be surprised now, judging from the fact that bullet molds are out of stock everywhere. Hopefully the resurgence in bullet casting will get the NRA interested enough to at least republish these books, and maybe even a print a few new articles.

G

the other factor that might encourage them to rerun the book is the incredible change to the printing industry since the 90's. They could print short digital (just in time) runs rather than huge offset or flexo runs and still turn a profit on the book sales.

trust me when i say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Moderator Emeritus

Email sent!
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master

A few years ago I did the same asking people to contact the NRA publications asking for a new printing of this exceptional book. I received a short reply that this wasn't going to happen. I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did, this book should be on every casters bench.

The books referenced by KennethF from Wolfe Publishing are currently available from Wolfe on CD's and are worth far more than their asking price.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    BTW, if anyone gets a reply this time around, could you let us know here?
    I haven't heard anything yet. Not that I expected to get an email from the NRA Store at 9:05 this morning saying I could expect it in stock any day.

How old is the copyright? Is it time to make this thing into a PDF yet?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus