Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I cannot tell a lie, it was 158 I was referring to. Purely a scientific interest on my part though.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I cannot tell a lie, it was 158 I was referring to. Purely a scientific interest on my part though.
    Prolly pretty scary!
    If you woke up and saw it in the dark,,,, you would probably reach for your gun.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I hope you are talking about post #153 and not post #158
    The picture in #153 is a video, click on it and it will show some more of it.
    Don't want to see the video of #158

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by etcher1 View Post
    The picture in #153 is a video, click on it and it will show some more of it.
    Don't want to see the video of #158
    Add some BB's. 6000, about five pounds, cost less than ten bucks and really does helps speed things up.

Boolit Master

Home built Vibratory Tumbler

I just finished this project, it's a gift for my Grandfather. It's over built and over powered just the way he would have done it himself! I sourced the motor from a small orbital car polisher. It runs smoother then my Midway tumbler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S__7000.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    I just finished this project, it's a gift for my Grandfather. It's over built and over powered just the way he would have done it himself! I sourced the motor from a small orbital car polisher. It runs smoother then my Midway tumbler.
    Very nicely done!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Etcher1, but after looking at the one you built I think I may have to retract the over-powered comment. Your build should be able to handle a much bigger load.

That's one hell of a motor you are using! Is it from a washing machine or a dryer? How heavy is the counter weight?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    Thanks Etcher1, but after looking at the one you built I think I may have to retract the over-powered comment. Your build should be able to handle a much bigger load.

That's one hell of a motor you are using! Is it from a washing machine or a dryer? How heavy is the counter weight?
    It is a 1/2 hp hvac fan motor. I drilled a hole through the pulley put a 1/2 x 2 bolt with 4 1/2 nuts on it. It works pretty good, but I may try the bb that was suggested.

Boolit Master

I made a homemade portacool/swamp cooler unit out of MDF, built around a large furnace blower, a plastic mortar pan, and a small fountain pump. Ordered aspen mats for the intakes on 3 sides that I framed in cedar, and used PVC pipe drilled every Inch or so to distribute the water. I used some shower pan scraps to make sure the water returned to the mortar pan. I used an old heavy gauge extension cord on it and wired everything through a gfi outlet that I installed on board to keep things safe. The front has separate switches for the blower and pump, along with two outlets. It doubles as my chopsaw stand and as an air cleaner when I'm woodworking - I installed washable air filters on the outside.

The only thing i didn't do was to add a hose hookup and a float valve. I just fill the pan when I use it.

It will drop the temp 20 degrees on a hot dry day and it's on casters to follow me around or Into the driveway if I'm turning wrenches.

It has also gone with me on a few west Texas dove hunts and I can tell you from experience that it will just about freeze you out of a tent on a dry west Texas night. You'll definitely want your sleeping bag, anyway.

Just about everything on it was something that I had or was given to me. I built it 7 years ago and it's still going strong.

Boolit Master

Pic of a home made powder measure I built. Four interchangeable rotors for different charges.

Boolit Master
    Gnoahhh, Nice work! Was it built for Blk powder or do you just like the look of brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post

Pic of a home made powder measure I built. Four interchangeable rotors for different charges.
    I was thinking of making one when I came across this on fleabay. It needs some work on the stand in the fit and looks department, but it throws a real accurate charge. You can see that one is marked 10.2 gr 2400 and another 15 gr 2400, and it threw exactly that. I did not have any 5066 to test that one, and I am guessing that means it is fairly old since that was discontinued in 1967? . It did throw exactly 4 gr of Bullseye with that one. It also has an adjustable rotor(has slotted screw in it) and a blank to make another one. Drop tube is shaped just like todays funnels, if the neck fits then no spills. I also found it fit nicely in the hand unscrewed from the base and used it to drop charges in a block of .38 Special wadcutter loads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails homemade powder measure (1).jpg   homemade powder measure (2).jpg   homemade powder measure (3).jpg   homemade powder measure (5).jpg  

Great find!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Im just curious if anyone's been able to figure out 0RG07's primer setup for the lee classic turret. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdLAZRW0QeY

Also wondering if anyones figured out a way to do a bullet feeder that isnt die based for a LCT, kinda like the lee feeder but I was thinking maybe a rocking pivot type holder that is actuated by an arm on the opposite side die on the turret to pivot the bullet into place.

Not knowing how to make anything but ideas (hey im software!) I figured asking in this thread would be a great idea.

Looks like he has got a fixed tube positioned in the same spot that the flippy floopy Lee primer feeder would swing into and the primer holder stops at the tube and takes a primer. It must have a part that pushes out of the wayso that the primer is released. Interesting set up.

Whay not send him a message.Might be worth another video to show how it is done. Looks way better than the Lee effort, which works, buttttttttt.

Boolit Buddy
    No one has been able to find out how he did it. I don't think he's told anyone... sneaky! I've never seen an answer anywhere anyway.

Boolit Master

I think Four Fingers has it -- there's a spring plunger inside the aluminum block that pushes out of the way; when the priming arm isn't there, it holds the primers in the tube. Has to be a little careful not to pull the arm down too hard after the first station; notice you can (just) see the primer in the arm after the powder filling stage; pull down too hard, and you'll fire the next primer against the one already seated.

I bet he dropped a few primers getting it right!

Boolit Buddy
    Hahaha, if you do can you put up some pictures of the mechanism? I'm curious to see if I have anything that could work as it seems to.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I bet he dropped a few primers getting it right!
    Could be, could be...

Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast