WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Boolit Grand Master

Homemade?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Get yourself a LiveCD of Linux and boot from it for when you need to do something at home on the laptop?
    I have a personal laptop. First day on the job I typed in Glock.com and was blocked on the company laptop. CastBoolits and all other firearm related sites are blocked. At that point I wasn't going to deal w/ their filters. Not worth the hassle and it's their laptop so I will use it only for work. Biggest hassle is smaller airports when I have to pull one laptop out and place it in a separate container. Other one stays in the TSA approved bag. Bigger airports are a lot easier to get through security :laugh:

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I have a personal laptop. First day on the job I typed in Glock.com and was blocked on the company laptop. CastBoolits and all other firearm related sites are blocked. At that point I wasn't going to deal w/ their filters. Not worth the hassle and it's their laptop so I will use it only for work.
    I was staying at a Hilton Fairfield hotel recently and I noticed that they blocked GlockTalk.com, but they didn't block this site. When I was in Taiwan awhile back, I noticed a lot of the ISPs blocked gun related sites.

Yep, there is even a design out there for 3D printing them. Funny part is that every range officer immediately shows up when using it "No full auto here" and then has no problems when they see it is bumpfire, which is getting close from a rate of fire perspective. Haven't timed it yet, but a 100 rd magazine was empty in less than 20 seconds ... and yes, agree, a complete waste of ammo - but sooooooo much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Those bumpfire stocks sure will go thru the ammo!!!! My sister's grin just gets bigger the longs she hold that stock...... until the mag goes empty anyway {g}

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Invented by ammo manufacturers no doubt, haha.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    I made this recently to replace the nasty plastic Lyman trickler I own. It did the job but this just does it nicer.

It is turned from a solid aluminium bar with brass bearings inserted before the cutting is done, the tube turns really smoothly and is very easy to control, spin the wheel to get a nice steady flow or touch it for a single grain at a time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	182082

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	182083

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	182084

How did you "rifle groove " the brass tube?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    How did you "rifle groove " the brass tube?

I didn't, just polished and deburred. The Lyman one is just rough inside.

I made one very similar, and my drop tube is internally threaded 1/4" - 28 left hand. Works like a charm.

Name:	IMG_20161206_045554.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	182112
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Boolit Master

I'm thinking that since we're talking firearms here, the powder tricklers should be *blued* steel... Even better, case hardened steel. That would look cool...

Imagine a powder trickler that looked like the steel on this:

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I'm thinking that since we're talking firearms here, the powder tricklers should be *blued* steel... Even better, case hardened steel. That would look cool...

Imagine a powder trickler that looked like the steel on this:

I can do blued but dread to think how long it would take to cut from a solid bar on my Myford, case colouring I can't do sadly.

Just dug out a lyman which I discarded when I picked up a redding. Interesting, it too is threaded. But it has a right hand thread cut into the bore. No wonder it never worked too well. Perhaps it was made for the sinister folk out there.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_V View Post
    I made one very similar, and my drop tube is internally threaded 1/4" - 28 left hand. Works like a charm.

Name:	IMG_20161206_045554.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	182112
    Nice one, steel or ally?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    Just dug out a lyman which I discarded when I picked up a redding. Interesting, it too is threaded. But it has a right hand thread cut into the bore. No wonder it never worked too well. Perhaps it was made for the sinister folk out there.

Interesting, mine just looked roughly finished. I built the ally one with a 3deg slope on the tube. There's an M8 threaded hole in the base which will allow me to add a base to adjust the height if needed.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The old Simplex (Australian reloading equipment company) used to make a blued steel powder trickler. Worked fine, but had to de rust it a few times, haha. I have always been reluctant to oil it. An alloy or plastic one would no doubt lack the feel good factor, but would be a more sensible approach.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning22 View Post
    I can do blued but dread to think how long it would take to cut from a solid bar on my Myford, case colouring I can't do sadly.
    It's probably something that would best be made in two parts. Make the upper from a piece of steel tubing of the appropriate diameter, internally thread the bottom, and then make a bottom piece that could screw onto the upper tube.

Or maybe externally thread the top piece and make the bottom piece an internally threaded wide base "cap" that screwed onto it.

But, there's nothing to say that it even has to be screwed together. I have to wonder if it would be possible to make the base just slightly less than the upper section and then heat the base to expand it before putting the tubing in it.

Boolit Mold
    Here is my homemade powered trickler made with a hacked rc airplane servoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of DSC03217.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	182485

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning22 View Post
    Nice one, steel or ally?
    Steel. I have since rust blued it.
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Banned
    This is my new "maniacal machine tool". If you look closely you may figure out what it is:
    Attachment 182542Attachment 182543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1586.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	182544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1588.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	182546

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    This is my new "maniacal machine tool". If you look closely you may figure out what it is:
    I'm thinking a way to do hollow points or maybe a mini lathe...

Banned
    Well, what it is:
    Two identical Harbor Freight Cheapo table top drill presses mounted on the same post, one on each end, facing each other. One has a 5/8" chuck the other has a 1/2" The first pics are of me aligning it with a piece of drill rod snugged up in both chucks. I use it as a lathe and a center drill (which a lathe does anyway). The use of dremel type grinding tools with diamond bits allows me to make many things with it. Including my own swaging dies swaging 22lr bullets (and eventually 9mm also). If I move one head out of the way I can put long things in the chuck if I hook up a roller of the back ends of them. The metal bracket that attaches them via a couple of 2x10's with the proper sized hole, is the back support from an old office chair. The wood is from a recycled water bed and a recycled sleeper sofa, The legs of the bench are from an old bar stool with pieces of the metal from the fold out bed reinforcing them. The drill rig can unbolt and then I have a bench for my loading/swaging press and also a bench for my vise. I had to build something very small to fit in our tiny living room which is what I use for a machine shop.

Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast