Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for your thoughts. I figure you have just built 2 beautiful concentricity checkers and would be able to see the downfalls in a design. I am better at electrical but know I can make things that are functional by slow and steady work taking many measurements. After all early gunsmiths did some wonderful work that I think we have forgotten how. I have seen examples of things pattern makers have done with hand tools and have been in awe....

Thanks again.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Buddy
    I quite agree Paul - If you take your time some excellent work can be done with just hand tools. I scratched away for many years before I bought my little Lathe, it's an old ex tech-college Colchester Bantam dating to about 1965. About a couple of years ago I treated myself to a small Chinese milling machine.

I made this little pistol with just handtools around 35-40 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LTanlKuT_4

Boolit Buddy
    The video was neat, I was impressed with the pictures you used did not detail the inner works. I bet you spent a few hours visualizing the parts and how they work together.

iIf it's a half size # 3, does that make it a 1-1/2 ? Lol.

Good work.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Do you guys actually pull the trigger with your finger?
    Not all the time.

I made this little pistol with just handtools around 35-40 years ago.
    Sounded like you said it was non firing at the end of the video, did you never fire it? If you did what is it chambered for and how did it do? Nice work either way.
    Last edited by jmorris; 08-12-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post

Sounded like you said it was non firing at the end of the video, did you never fire it? If you did what is it chambered for and how did it do? Nice work either way.
    Living in the UK we have some rather odd restrictions. When I made this it was quite ok for me to own and shoot a handgun of what ever calibre I chose, as long as it was registered. (Unfortunately no longer the case) However, to get a handmade trinket like this registered would have been more trouble and expense than it was worth. It would have been just as easy to have made it shootable, maybe .22 short or .22BB cap.

Probably more in scale would have been 4mm rimfire Flobert or even 2mm pinfire.

Getting caught with an unregistered "firearm" is a mandatory 5 year sentence.

I see, very nice work though and thanks for the inch measurements to keep us from having to convert from CM

Boolit Buddy
    It's only because I'm a bit of a dinosaur, I usually work in imperial. My lathe is imperial and I've fitted my mill with DRO so I can switch from inch to mm at the touch of a button.

I know just what 25 thou looks like but I haven't a clue what .43mm looks like.

Here's something I made recently :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTW20NzZ-OA

Boolit Master

I see, very nice work though and thanks for the inch measurements to keep us from having to convert from CM
    The UK is a bit strange in their metric conversion. They mostly converted, but there are strange holdouts. The speed limits are in miles per hour, the road distances are in miles, the exit distances are in yards, and then there is the fact that beer is legally required to be sold in *pints*, but the pints are the Imperial pint which is about 20% more than the American pint. Now, if you are *really* thirsty for a beer, get a Scottish pint.

Land is still measured in acres and in the grocery stores, you'll still find stuff priced per pound (which the price per kg or gram often written in smaller text).

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    We didn't muck about in Australia we went fully metric. Manufacturers were given a couple of years to convert to metric sized containers. The only things that come in odd sized containers are some things from America.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    We didn't muck about in Australia we went fully metric. Manufacturers were given a couple of years to convert to metric sized containers. The only things that come in odd sized containers are some things from America.
    Does your aviation and ship industries still use nautical miles for distances and knots for speed?

What size tires are on your car?

When you buy a monitor, how is the size advertised?

I'm an engineer and I can handle whatever measurement system, but my gut feeling for things is still the American/English system. And by "English", I'm not talking about the "Imperial" system (although I do prefer an Imperial Pint of beer over an American Pint).

Banned
    I do not have a machine shop. I would like you to build me one of these:

Attachment 174250
    Automatic bullet caster

Automatic bullet sizer

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I do not have a machine shop. I would like you to build me one of these:
    You are in luck there is one for sale in swapin&sellin right now.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...tch-Automation

Banned
    Sorry my post was not written well. What I need is the machine in the picture that I posted. I am eventually going to try and make one myself, but this is the only picture that I think exists of one of these beauties. Can you guess what it is?Attachment 174275

Banned
    Relating to post #541, by drac0nic:
    Thanks for the idea. I have to go back and forth from my sisters garage and my living room. No real shop or reloading bench. Just getting set up. Bought a powder measure and then thought, "OK where am I going to mount this, on my desk? Now I know. Make a little mini bench from a piece of 2x8 or 2x10, mount stuff on it and put a handle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Sorry my post was not written well. What I need is the machine in the picture that I posted. I am eventually going to try and make one myself, but this is the only picture that I think exists of one of these beauties. Can you guess what it is?Attachment 174275

Looks a a lot like a casepro roll size machine but with the bullet in there I would guess a crimp for a heeled bullet?

Banned
    good assessment. I'm gonna let some other people guess before I tell. I really want to build one of these.

Boolit Bub
    It does crimp 22LR cartridges. The picture is from "Ammunition Making". I would think a Case-Pro would be able to do the job if equipped with dies that have one groove to hold the rim and one ridge to apply the crimp.

Banned
    Great, I knew there were people here that would recognize the picture. I really couldn't pay someone to build this. Do you know of any other pictures or ways that I can get a better idea of the individual parts. I know the basic function of it but would have reverse engineer or re-develop the whole thing in order to make one. Are there any of these things around yet? I would not think they still use them in manufacturing... but maybe. Think it would be worth starting a new thread for this?

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    This machine is not a case pro. It is a "home made" machine made by the folks who produced match grade 22lr. It crimps 22lr. It was described in the book "Ammunition Making" by Frost. He said they used "blades" in it. If I made one for reloading 22lr, It could be made to size case and bullet, crimp, and shape the bullet all in one pass. So this is what I am looking to build for making my own match grade reloads.

Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast