RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Boolit Bub
    I use a lyman M die for .45acp, but got tired of the extra step when I've got a Dillon 550 right there on the bench. I'm a very amateur machinist, so I made this die to do the job of the M die in the Dillon powder die. Case hardened it with cherry red. We'll see how it works!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2258.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	171748

Quote Originally Posted by claxton View Post
    I use a lyman M die for .45acp, but got tired of the extra step when I've got a Dillon 550 right there on the bench. I'm a very amateur machinist, so I made this die to do the job of the M die in the Dillon powder die. Case hardened it with cherry red. We'll see how it works!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2258.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	171748
    Show a view of each end please.

Leon

Boolit Bub
    Just put it in the press, when I'm done loading I'll take some more pictures for you.

I like this Good job.

Needed to clean up my reloading bench and designed/printed a few die holders for the pegboard. Can be used for single dies or the LEE Loadmaster die plate / the LEE Turret press die plate. Looks nicer, but no real added value
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160714_115945.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	172279

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    These 3D printers look like a whole lot of fun.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Yep - but also quite a bit of frustration with clogged nozzles, failed prints, bad designs. If you like to tinker with things, they are the coolest thing though

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    Yep - but also quite a bit of frustration with clogged nozzles, failed prints, bad designs. If you like to tinker with things, they are the coolest thing though
    +1

My next door neighbor has one and we have made lots of parts/designs for hobbies, things around the house, etc.., but YES, there is an initial learning curve where you are tweaking settings for days on end until things work out. Then, you develop something different, say a much thicker part, and you will have to tweak something again, etc....

BUT, these are minor things. 3D printers are awesome!

Boolit Buddy
    My fingers get tired prepping brass so I decided to look at the motorized brass prep units. Well they are nice but $150 for a motor driven chuck is a bit rich. I looked around and noticed I have a collection of cordless drills. 12 volt is easy to power, and keyless chuck is already there so I looked and found a nice metal box and this is what I built.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	172461 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	260 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	172462 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	234 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	172463

I will ill mount it to a board later so it does not move around.

it works good!

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

How about more detail on the power for the drill, so that us electrically challanged ole guys can understand. Looks good.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Neat, I have a drill that I cooked the battery on (unregulated charger) and it has been gathering dust, I have thrown it out a few times, but my frugal Chinese wife (grew up poor during the Cultural Revolution, etc) has rescued everytime. It is a 24v, but that is no problem. Thanks for the idea. Now for a metal box. Maybe a wooden box, mounted under the bench with the chuck just protruding.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Ole Joe,
    No problem. I decided to keep it simple so I selected a used Craftsman that took 12v batteries. After carefully separating the halves of the plastic drill motor case I was left with a chuck and motor with trigger assembly wired to the motor and connector to contact the battery. I was going to use a Harbor Freight trickle charger that was on sale for $5. But decided I use it allot and found a 13.8v 1A DC adapter (wall wart) that I think came from a kids Barbie car. I left the overcurrent protector on the positive motor lead and removed the trigger. I wired the positive from the adapter to a switch then to the over current module then to the positive of the motor. The negative I wired directly to the motor negative. I needed to mount the motor to something and found a chunk of 4x4 post that I used a hole saw to drill thru.
    Its not hard to do, I used a metal box from the junk pile, it had a ground resistance analyzer that didn't work.

I like to repurpose things, I feel better than throwing it out and buying new. I hope you like it. I you need clarification I can be clearer.

Good shooting to all.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Thanks so much,
    I understand much better now. I'll be on the lookout for a drill without a battery.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Great idea on the drill!...sadly I just chunked a cordless because the battery died. Good idea though friend!

-Butchman

Has anyone made a spent primer sensor?

I used to be able to hear spent primers impacting in a bucket where they fell into. Recently I added a bullet feeder that drowns out the sound of the primer though. So I'd like something that would alert me that a primer successfully was deprimed.

I'm thinking a photoeye or something that would flash an LED when the spent primer fall through the discharge tube.

Any ideas, designs, or tips would be appreciated.

Boolit Master

Liked the drill idea. Have a couple of old Makita 9.6v that the batteries have long since died. Wonder if a 12v supply would be too much. I do have a 9v but I think the amperage rating is too low. What say you??

retread

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Has anyone made a spent primer sensor?

I used to be able to hear spent primers impacting in a bucket where they fell into. Recently I added a bullet feeder that drowns out the sound of the primer though. So I'd like something that would alert me that a primer successfully was deprimed.

I'm thinking a photoeye or something that would flash an LED when the spent primer fall through the discharge tube.

Any ideas, designs, or tips would be appreciated.
    Most people use a micro-switch as a sensor when making a bullet feeder. China might make a smaller version that could work for primers. Or you could put a laser and IR sensor on opposing sides of a tube (looking through holes) and program it so that an alarm is sounded when the laser hits the sensor.

Made an adapter to use a newly bought Unliflow powder chucker on my Lee powder dies.

Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
    Made an adapter to use a newly bought Unliflow powder chucker on my Lee powder dies.

3D or the old fashioned way?
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    3D or the old fashioned way?
    On a lathe. Non of this hi-tech nonsense here!

Last edited by Twmaster; 07-24-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast