Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Thanks man
    just puttin' along

Boolit Master

That puts to shame my little 5 gal tumbler.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Mold
    I made some bullet drop dies for my reloading press.

I bought my first progressive reloading press this year, a Dillon Super 1050.

I am not new to reloading, just to a progressive press.

I knew right away I didn’t want to place a bullet on top of every case, so I took apart an airline quick disconnect and studied how the ball bearings held the things together and released each other quickly and cleanly. My design was born from there. (I also first studied and bought the Hornaday bullet feeder which I will get to shortly).

Now midway into my prototype design, I discovered the Mr. Bulletfeeder dies. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was that someone else had already thought of the design. I kept thinking that if this works out, I could sell my design and make some money. At that time the Mr. Bulletfeeder dies were not offered in .223, and I think they were $113 each, so I pressed on with my design. I knew I needed at least 4. If they were $49 then, as they are now, I would have stopped right there. (Mine are steel and brass, theirs are aluminum, and I can make them in any caliber I want.)

Left to right, .45; .40; .38/9mm; .223
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BulletDropDies_copy.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	116804

Here is the .45 mounted on the press. I adapted the Lee bullet magazine feeder to fit on top of all the drop dies. I really don’t care much for the Lee magazine bullet holder, and prefer the straight tube.

Name:	HM45wLeeMag.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	116806

My problem is the Dillon 1050 doesn’t have a lot of room above the turret, because of the case feeder. The Hornaday bullet feeder is so tall, there is hardly any room for the plastic tubes.
    I made and replaced the top part of the Hornaday die with a much shorter part, with a built in mount for the Lee magazine. It was still too tall.

Name:	HornadayDieMod.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	116807

Sometimes I use the Lee magazine bullet holder, and sometimes I don’t.

Name:	AllBulletDrops.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	116809

There is no way in hell I am putting the bullets in the tubes one at a time. I made a block of wood with four grooves. The two on the outside are for large calibers, and the two in the center are for small calibers. Just throw a handful of bullets on the block, and give them a nudge one way or the other.

Name:	SortingBlock.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	116810

Ok, everybody get in line.

Name:	SortingBlock2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	116811

There was a learning curve. With a few mistakes along the way.

Name:	LearntheRules.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	116812
    Last edited by Ron of Va; 09-18-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Ron,

Great job. I love how you improvised to get things to work "your" way. Also, you are one of a few that shows how many "mistakes" it takes to create a setup the way you want it. Thanks for sharing.....
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    That grooved wooden tray is a touch of simple brilliance!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Man,I wish I had machining skills,the things I could make.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Mold
    Hey guys, thanks for the compliments. I am glad yall liked the drop dies and the wooden block.

Ron

Ron, great job there, you are right on. I have a hornady LNL press and I use a plastic tube for my bullet feeder that goes all the way up to the case loader hopper. I put a eye hook in the case hopper and the tube goes into that to hold it up and straight. I can put 80 bullets in it at a time and works great. Drilled a .032" hole near the bottom edge and put a snap pin in it to hold the bullets in the tube while placing it in the feeder. The plastic was $3, cheap fix to a problem. If you are making a .223 feeder die and want to sell one, pm me, I'm interested...fat fingers, small work place LOL!

I also made a case trimmer for my drill. Just could not afford a $100 plus, unit that I have seen. This works great, except that I have nylon on order to use as a bushing to hold the case. The straight alum. die, the case gets hot and sticks...hope I can get the pic's on here.

Well, that didn't work...try againClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2005-01-01 12.00.37.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	117020
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005-01-01 12.00.14.jpg  

If anyone is interested in a trimmer, pm me.

Not as fancy or finished as some of the other projects on here, I've been working on this burner support for a few weeks now.

The table was originally a home made table saw that was in the workshop when we bought the house. It has been repurposed for two other projects before this one.

Name:	Casting-Setup-Updated-01.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	117527

A friend dropped off an old, empty propane tank that I cut for a lead pot.

Name:	Casting-Setup-Updated-02.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	117528

I donn't have a welder or welding skills, so I drilled holes in some black iron pipe for the steel bars and drilled and tapped holes in the table top to hold the pipe.

Name:	Casting-Setup-Updated-04.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	117529

The heat source is a Harbor Freight $20 weed burner that is held in a collar that is supported via steel strips by the same screws that hold the pipe to the top.

Name:	Casting-Setup-Updated-03.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	117530

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Banned

Great job David. You have inspired me. btw- if you cut another 3" section off the top half of the propane tank you can have a nice sturdy base for the pot.

Attachment 117541

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    Great job David. You have inspired me. btw- if you cut another 3" section off the top half of the propane tank you can have a nice sturdy base for the pot.
    ncbearman,

The ring is sitting in the garage waiting for me to learn welding from one of my friends. I've been working on this off and on for months as work and health allowed. I'm especially glad that I finished this part of the project as we're getting into good casting weather here in the northeast.

David

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsbock View Post
    ncbearman,

The ring is sitting in the garage waiting for me to learn welding from one of my friends. I've been working on this off and on for months as work and health allowed. I'm especially glad that I finished this part of the project as we're getting into good casting weather here in the northeast.

David
    Spot welds on the ring will suffice. It won't take much to hold it together. Go ahead, fire up the welder and throw some sparks. Best way to learn. Good Luck. Oh, and I found a table to re-purpose and make into smelting stand. No more leaning over the turkey fryer.

Russ

Spot welds on the ring will suffice. It won't take much to hold it together. Go ahead, fire up the welder and throw some sparks. Best way to learn. Good Luck. Oh, and I found a table to re-purpose and make into smelting stand. No more leaning over the turkey fryer.

Russ
    I don't have a welder yet. Part of the learning process will be selecting one.

David
    Last edited by dsbock; 09-29-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Correcting auto correct

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsbock View Post
    I don't have a welder yet. Part of the learning process will be selecting one.

David
    If there is a small mom and pop weld shop they would do it inexpensive. But then you wouldn't have the fun of buying a welder

If there is a small mom and pop weld shop they would do it inexpensive. But then you wouldn't have the fun of buying a welder
    Exactly. My friend just go a new welder earlier this year. He and his wife build race cars, among other things. At this point it's just a matter of finding time when we're both available.

I'm looking forward to learning a new skill.

David

Boolit Mold
    Neat Stuff

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    We had a guy in town great welder, got a job at the prison for a few years then left and started up a one man welding shop with his wife answering the phone / doing the accounts, etc. He ended up with an apprentice working with him. He loved to do little jobs and would nearly always drop everything and come out and fix whatever it was on the spot. I have a welder, but used to get him to do anything structural on trailers, etc that were to be used on the road. He retired recently and is a real loss to the town.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have had a few people ask me about shoulder adjustable case trimmers, sooooo, I put my feeble little mind together and this is what I have made. It works great!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005-01-06 13.14.33.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	121037

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast