Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Boolit Master
    MaryB do the ingots fit into a lee 4-20?

Banned

Mary B has a great ingot mold set-up. Makes sense

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Mary B has a great ingot mold set-up. Makes sense

cheap too! But I wonder if you could mount them to a 2x4 with out burning it. Maybe if you wrap the 2x4 with some aluminum foil first or make an thick pad of foil.

Moderator Emeritus

Yup can fit about 8 in a 4-20 pot, I went with hollow aluminum to dissipate heat, maybe if you ran a bolt all the way through to the other side instead of a screw.

Banned

Printers have a lot of aluminum printing plates that come in great for many other uses. Typically they are .005 thick. Ask me how I know )

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    Printers have a lot of aluminum printing plates that come in great for many other uses. Typically they are .005 thick. Ask me how I know )
    Ok, How do - you know?

Banned

I'm a printer. Presses, ink, paper old school. Managed to survive the chaos by staying small.

Just made a media separator today lol. Stole a plastic colander from the kitchen and drilled bigger holes. Fits perfectly over a 5 gal bucket. Don't tell the misses.

Quote Originally Posted by ACrowe25 View Post
    Just made a media separator today lol. Stole a plastic colander from the kitchen and drilled bigger holes. Fits perfectly over a 5 gal bucket. Don't tell the misses.
    Borrow the replacement when you need to separate media. A lid make it easier to shake things up without bouncing cases out.

Boolit Bub
    Made one out of 1x3 pine and 1/8" hardware cloth. Took about 15 minutes ten or so years ago...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I used an onion bag until recently worked a treat, but a bit dusty.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    Attachment 80588Made this for a friend who didn't want to drill holes in his table.
    The space in the bottom middle is to catch old primers. Used an old .22 Stinger box.
    The long nuts are tapped for primer pocket cleaner and cleaning brush.
    Attachment 80585Attachment 80586
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 08-30-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Clever, it looks like he got his money's worth out of that press!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I use the Wal-Mart stainless steel condiment cups as small ingot molds when I'm dumping lead out of my casting pot. Because of their shape, the lead does not solidify as quickly as if I had been using a mold with more surface area per volume (e.g. angle iron based mold). Each of these cups holds about 2 fl-oz of lead if you leave a bit of space at the top so that they are easier to just turn upside down and dump the ingot out of them. Therefore, about 1.5 lbs of lead per ingot.

A buddy of mine who is just getting into casting asked me what I use to pick up these ingot "molds" after I have filled them. I told him that I have a pair of channel locks that when put in the very last groove and the handles are put together, they are just the right size to slip around the bottom of the mold and then when I raise them, the mold is supported on 3 sides. I had been meaning to made something that did not have adjustable jaws so that it would be a bit more idiot-proof, so I decided to hobble together something out of some 3/8" rebar that I had laying around.

I had my O2 tank at home, but I had left my propane tank at my hangar, so I could not setup my oxy-propane rig and had to just use the natural gas banjo burner that I use for smelting to heat up the rebar. I figured that I just needed a large diameter rod to bend the rebar around and the closest that I had was a piece of hex bar. I heated the rebar up and hammered it around the hex bar until it had basically created a rebar eye bolt (minus the threads). I then took my arc welder and welded the end back to the "handle". I then used a grinder to cut a wheel width slot out of the end of the loop and then beat it over a conical log splitting wedge to open up the circle until the ingot mold would slide down in it far enough that only 1/2" was sticking past the top of the rebar. I then took it back to the grinder to open up the opening enough that it would be possible to slide it around the bottom of the mold when it was resting flat on a surface. I also put a small bend in the other end of it so that it would fit my hand better and not rotate.

Here's how the condiment cup "ingot mold" sits in the holder:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	condiment-cup-ingot-mold-tool-1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	80784

Here's the two that I made:

Name:	condiment-cup-ingot-mold-tool-2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	80785

Need to smooth out the weld a bit where the cup sits in there, but it works.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Cool, one right handed and one left handed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Cool, one right handed and one left handed.
    Nawh, you just turn it whichever way feels better. I just put them that way for the photo. I find it more comfortable with the handle curve facing inward (i.e. away from my hand). If I had had the right tools, I would have probably just put a very small loop there so that it could be hung from a hook while also acting to stabilize it when you are holding it.

I sent the photos to my buddy and he said that it looked like some sort of medieval torture device. A quick web search and I see what he meant. I've seen that photo before, so I have to wonder if I subconsciously designed it that way.

Further research shows that this was a double ended fork, so it's not the same.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Name:	505cover.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	82283I picked up a new RCBS 505 scale in a trade recently and I wanted a dust cover for it. I know that you can buy a new one for under $12, but it was raining and I had some plexiglass in the shop. Thirty minutes later--dust cover done. I only had some model aircraft cement and it was getting thick, so there is a minor glue runover, but it works great.

I have dust covers for my Redding, Herters, and digital scales. When I found the Redding scale at an estate sale, it was so dusty, you could barely read the beam so I want to keep them relatively clean.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Hmm like that cover.
    Just needs a hole in the top and a tube n funnel for making loads up at the range in the wind.

Boolit Master
    For those of you that use a Lee case collator my friend Juddie (FB The Reloading Room) came up this little tip: A Folgers plastic lid snaps on the Lee red plastic collator, keeps the dust out when not in use.

Name:	WP_001337.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	82785

Pretty slick!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    Not as impressive as some of the stuff here but here's my wiper motor powered case tumbler in action.

http://static.photobucket.com/player...007_224739.mp4

Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast