Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NineInchNails View Post
    Nothin fancy or technical, but this helps me a bit. When swapping turret disks on my Lee Classic Turret Press I needed a way to safely store & keep the dust off the disks that are set up with their own dies and Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure set and intact. I just cut a bunch of appropriate lengths out of a piece of cheapo 4" PVC drain pipe and used some inexpensive flat PVC caps. Keep in mind that 4" PVC pipe (SCH 40) is NOT the same as 4" drain pipe. I glued the bottom caps only.

You can label each tube, paint them or whatever you want. I'm considering lining at least the bottoms with something just to ensure that the decapping pins don't ever take a hard hit if I happen to drop the turret disk into the tubes. I know I don't 'need' a powder measure for each turret disk, but it's nice to not have to adjust it back & forth every cartridge I load. It's also nice to have extras for parts, etc...
    Awesome idea, thanks for sharing that one.

Boolit Master

I was recently wanting to find a more convenient way of storing my Lee dies since I did not like the round containers that came with them. They just aren't designed for stacking in my opinion. Since my dies might get used in any of my three presses (RCBS, Lee, or Dillon), I can't just leave them in a turret disk. I stumbled across a green top food storage container over at Wal-Mart the other day that looked to be just the right size, but I didn't want the dies to be rolling around in there possibly damaging the screw threads. Turned out that a piece of 1-1/4" sched-40 plastic pipe is just the right size to fit over the dies and the hex nut (at least the hex nut on the Lee dies). Even with the thickness of the sched-40, I can put 3 dies, the shell holder, and the dipper in a single 4.5 cup box. If they had one that was a bit taller, it would also give room for the Dillon shellplate boxes, and I would probably should have gone that route. The brand was "Mainstays" and they were $1.84 for a pack of 4. I seriously doubt that they are air or water tight considering the way the lid just snaps on, but they're as good in that regard as the Lee holder which is open at the bottom. I periodically wipe things down with mineral oil anyway. I think that if you removed the nuts from the dies, you could use 1" sched-40 and could put 4 dies in a single box.
    Last edited by grumman581; 04-09-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

No problem txbonds.

I had some sheets of rubbery naugahyde type stuff so I figured I'd make a softer base for inside my tubes. I used a sliver of the drain pipe as a stencil to draw a line with a pencil & cut some rubber disks. I traced the 'outer dimension' of the pipe the disks will be held down into the caps by the glued pipe.

I stuck 2 rubber disks into each cap so it's nice & thick.

I slapped on some PVC glue around the pipe and jammed the pipe into the cap.
    Last edited by NineInchNails; 04-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Obsolete
    Last edited by TES; 04-15-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: No longer relevant
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master

Made my own sizer for my 45 auto

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1675.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	67686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sized-sinker-640.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	67687

The press I want wont be in until the end of June at Midway or any place else so I made my own sizer. Slugged my High Point 45 at .4525.

2x4 from Lowe's $3.00
    2 3/8" washers @ .12 ea (bought 4 just in case)
    11,5mm drill bit @ $10.00
    8 #6 pan head sheet metal screws @ .08 ea

Thought I would get .4528 or .4530 with the drill bit but after sizing with a lead sinker it was .4540 or a hair less. That's .0012 over what the pistol slugged so think it's okay.

Any comments would be helpful as this is all new to me.

Edit: The picture on the right is the sinker I used to slug my pistol.

Boolit Buddy
    East central Minnesota. I can see Wisconsin from my house!!!
    Thermometer Holder
    The clip that came on the shaft of my RCBS provided no way to hold it in the molten lead. I made this holder from a coathanger.

Design time: 9 weeks
    Construction and installation time: 10 minutes

Attachment 67863
    Before you criticize another man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, . . . and you'll have his shoes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff R View Post
    Thermometer Holder
    The clip that came on the shaft of my RCBS provided no way to hold it in the molten lead. I made this holder from a coathanger.

Attachment 67863
    That's cool. I'm gonna do that tonight. Awesome.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff R View Post
    Thermometer Holder

9 week *design time*? Sounds like there were more than a few beers involved in this effort.

I saw a thermometer holder once where the guy had just taken a piece of 1/2" x 1/8" bar stock, bent a 90 degree angle in each end (pointing in opposite directions). He had drilled holes in one end where it attached to his workbench. In the other end that hung over the melting pot, he had also drilled a hole so that the thermometer could slide into it. It had a little flex to it, but I suspect that if he had welded another piece of bar stock across the portion that was mounted to the workbench so that it formed a triangle, it would have been a lot sturdier. Something like this maybe?

Last edited by grumman581; 04-21-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    East central Minnesota. I can see Wisconsin from my house!!!
    Thanks for your interest!
    Grumman,
    During the design phase, I envisioned something along the lines of your drawing. Today, I wanted to cast and I needed something in a hurry. The material costs were zero, but I am going to miss that old coathanger.

Attachment 67943

I just wound the wire around a phillips screwdriver shaft to make the coil.

Attachment 67944

Attachment 67945

After a casting session, it worked great, but I am going to move it. Imagine the pot is a clock face and the holder is mounted at 2 o'clock. I am going to move it to 10 o'clock. I found that when I was filling a mould, over the pot, the ladle would usually bump the thermometer. I think that if I move it to 10 o'clock, the ladle will have a clear path to move in, without bumping the thermometer.

Attachment 67947

This was a prototype. Metal coat hangers are like wheel weights. I'll have to hoard a few.
    Jeff
    Before you criticize another man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, . . . and you'll have his shoes.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The old metal coathangers are a terrific resource, but the last few years they are made of super light wire and are flatout taking my jackets without drooping, as to my big motorcycle jacket with the plastic armour and the winter lining, forget about it! Got a wooden one for that.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Speechless and most humble! I wish I lived next door
    I was thinking the exact same thing.....if you guys live in a 'red' state, please send address, looking for good neighbors!

Boolit Master

I use the large plastic hangers for SCUBA BCDs and such for heavy leather jackets. I've considered making my own hangars for heavy motorcycle jackets and such out of a piece of 2x4 with the outer corners rounded with a jig saw and then all the edges rounded over either with a router or a belt sander. The "hook" could be made a piece of bar stock that where the end was heated up and mushroomed like they used to do with rivets. I figure that would be over-engineered enough. If I can't hang my weight on it, then it's not strong enough.

Metal hangers though have made for quite a few impromptu steel welding rods for oxy-acetylene welding over the years. And have held up quite a few mufflers also.

Boolit Bub
    Made homade tumbler

Boolit Bub
    A chopsaw and a welder help a lot

Boolit Bub
    Plasma torch coming. Who knows what I might make

someone getting their post count up
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    someone getting their post count up
    Or someone who doesn't understand the difference between a web forum like this and one of the idiotic "social networking" sites like Twitter.

Well now.... I guess I wont post the pic of the small toothpick I whittled from a larger toothpick.
    Seriously, there a lot of very talented people here!!!

Doc

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    I figure that would be over-engineered enough. If I can't hang my weight on it, then it's not strong enough.
    Why use a one inch bolt when a two inch bolt will do?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold

Here's 2 sets of nutcracker style mold handles for my Lyman 4 cavity molds. They turned out decent enough. The ferrules on the wood handles are made from sections of 12 gauge barrel, really stout!

This is a powder compression die for loading 45/70 BP cartridges. I made a seating stem too, so I could use the die as a seater and crimp as a separate operation.

Just little stuff, but fun to make(and use)

Don in Ohio

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast