Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Homemade?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Are you selling them or is it a project I shouldn't feel bad about trying to fabri-cobble ?
    With no disrespect to @CGT80

Looks like something that could be made with a straight push $40 De-Sta-Co clamp and a piece of angle iron (3"x3"?).
    Some toggle type straight line clamps are rated up to 2500# !!
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...53010?fromRR=Y
    There are others that would work too.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...vid=4287923274

It would not require any welding or machining other than drilling holes.
    Something I'd attempt if I needed a dedicated sizing press.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    With no disrespect to @CGT80

Looks like something that could be made with a straight push $40 De-Sta-Co clamp and a piece of angle iron (3"x3"?).
    Some toggle type straight line clamps are rated up to 2500# !!
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...53010?fromRR=Y
    There are others that would work too.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...vid=4287923274

It would not require any welding or machining other than drilling holes.
    Something I'd attempt if I needed a dedicated sizing press.
    I used a similar clamp on my revolver ball press - works a treat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Are you selling them or is it a project I shouldn't feel bad about trying to fabri-cobble ?
    These will be for sale, as soon as I make some revisions to the design and do a little more testing. Price yet to be determined.

Right now, I am working on ensuring a good fit between the shaft and body and am planning to incorporate bushings and thrust washers to limit wear to easily replaceable parts. While steel on steel will last a long time, it would be a shame to not make another prototype and explore the possibility of having a better built mouse trap.

Here is the thread I started and it will get updated as the project progresses: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-for-lee-dies

Boolit Buddy

Brass Grabber

Finally got into the 3D printing game and was able to design up and print my "brass grabber" for running 5 rounds at once through a prep station so I'm not pinching single rounds and getting hand cramps anymore! Still working on the design, trying to round over the edges everywhere so it doesn't hurt my hand as much and probably need some rubber in it to really get a good grip. Just got my 3D printer and teaching myself CAD but it's coming along.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brassgrabber.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	227599

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken73 View Post
    Finally got into the 3D printing game and was able to design up and print my "brass grabber" for running 5 rounds at once through a prep station so I'm not pinching single rounds and getting hand cramps anymore! Still working on the design, trying to round over the edges everywhere so it doesn't hurt my hand as much and probably need some rubber in it to really get a good grip. Just got my 3D printer and teaching myself CAD but it's coming along.

Name:	brassgrabber.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	227599
    Great start, I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I am I've been up and running nearly a year now, starting from absolute scratch with both CAD and 3D printing, using a $200 Chinese kit printer.
    Replacement trigger for FWB 124 air rifle:

Loading tray for 45-70:

Adjustable multi charger and indexable flask for Muzzle loaders:

Primer catcher for RCBS RC IV:

Various photos:

Box inserts:

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Great start, I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I am I've been up and running nearly a year now, starting from absolute scratch with both CAD and 3D printing, using a $200 Chinese kit printer.

Adjustable multi charger and indexable flask for Muzzle loaders:
    This looks awesome! Tell me more!! I have some C&B replicas I want to shoot but would like to make some quick-load options.

Come to think of it, I might print myself up a paper cartridge tool.

I'm definitely enjoying it, already made version 1.2 of the tool - designed in some springs and rounded off the edges so it's easy on the hands. I still can't believe I'm only a month into it and this far along.

Name:	brassgrabber1.2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	227653

Boolit Master
    Maybe you all are in the know on this trick, but a buddy asked if I had an inertial puller for some SER 38-40's(someone else's reloads) he aquired. He said he's never seen it done this way. I hated the little plastic collets that come with the kit. I use the appropriate shell holder, screw it in, and bang away until desired effect. And no, it doesn't work with every cartridge I'm sure.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Well, now that it has been completed, I can formally post a quick link to my own homemade DIY single stage press:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-stage-press

Will

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent job there sir - I take my hat off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Maybe you all are in the know on this trick, but a buddy asked if I had an inertial puller for some SER 38-40's(someone else's reloads) he aquired. He said he's never seen it done this way. I hated the little plastic collets that come with the kit. I use the appropriate shell holder, screw it in, and bang away until desired effect. And no, it doesn't work with every cartridge I'm sure.
    Simply brilliant!

My project is not quite as fancy as you guys stuff, my 'homemade' tumbler started out as a motor/gearbox for a checkout conveyor from a super market. I got it back in about 1985 and didn't do anything with it until this past September. I probably will put a slightly larger pulley on the motor to give the tube a bit more speed. This container is a 4 inch x 12 inch piece of PVC. I have a 6 inch version that tapers to a 4 inch end for larger amounts of brass. The black bands on the PVC tube for traction are some of those rubber bracelets that you see people wearing on their wrists. I also put some 1 inch rubber pads on it for legs and not transfer sound to the floor.

Last edited by Steve E; 11-23-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

I bought my Kinetics tool on 1981. The sales rep happened to be in the shop when I bought it and showed me how to work it and pointed out common mistakes made with the tools. The little rubber ring on mine broke earlier this year and I started to use the shellholders with it. It actually works better than the original set up!
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-24-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Stainless steel die holder.

Attachment 232799Attachment 232798I built a 1/8 in aluminum plate that bolts on my lyman T2. It’s cut out for the original primer catcher. On it I’ve added a case kicker on the rt side and a ramp on the left side. The ramp drops the finished round into the bullet tray of my Dillon 550 located left of the Lyman. I’ve drilled a hole in the bottom of the Lyman primer catcher with a piece of tubing so primers go into a pill bottle. I also added a thumb operated lever to work the priming arm mounted through the priming arm pivot hole. I can move it in and out to pick up the primer from the turret mounted tube and seat them. I also use a Dillon 550 measure on the turret set up like on the 550 press, raise the case, cycle the measure, lower, turn the turret and seat the bullet. My rt hand stays mostly on the ram while the left hand puts the mty brass in the shellholder, turns the turret and sits the bullet on the case. What makes it fast is that when I’m reaching for a piece of mty brass or a bullet the ram is cycling or turret is moving. Pardon my incorrect pix, it’s old and shows the Dillon 450 measure. Now it’s got the 550 on it. I use it for 38-40, 44-40 and 45lc.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 12-27-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Simply brilliant!
    Works with every cartridge/shell holder I have...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Having a 3d Printer makes it easy to customize parts for the reloading room
    Lee case feeder for 9mm/380/223: (unpublished)

Name:	IMG_20181128_212633382.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	233416
    Spacers to set the height of the case feeder:

Name:	IMG_20181128_215358670.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	233417

Custom Autodisk with bushings (unpublished but I have both single and double non-bushing disks published )

Name:	IMG_20190105_174034731.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	233418

Converted my Lyman 45 to a push through for coated bullets (unpublished)

Name:	IMG_20190105_174053455.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	233419
    Published designs
    https://www.thingiverse.com/pastera/designs

Boolit Master
    JMorris. You either have way too much time on your hands, or you need a copy of "Patent it Yourself".
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    JMorris. You either have way too much time on your hands, or you need a copy of "Patent it Yourself".
    When he's not posted on here for a few weeks, don't you wonder what fantastic idea he's dreaming up next?

Boolit Buddy
    Really neat thread and ideas guys!
    I hope to post pix some day of my mods to a LNL press.

I thought everyone knew this trick. I've been using shell holders for that since I first got my puller 8 or so years ago.
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast