Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Lyman 310 Dies??

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 310 Dies??

Is there anyone still using the old Lyman 310 style dies? I have seen threaded bushings so the old style thin wall dies can be used in modern 7/8 x 14 presses. I had one of the old Lyman presses when I was a kid and dies to reload my 45 Colt cartridges for a beat up 1878 Colt double action revolver.

Believe it or not there are still a lot of folks reloading with the old 310 dies. In fact, right here on the Forum you will find a 310 swapping thread. I've got a mechanic's carry toolbox full of them and several sets of handles and two of the TruLine Jr. presses. I found the handle versions to be handy at the rifle range when developing loads and not wanting to load a box at home of this and that load on my Rock Chucker and come back with remaining ammo that hadn't worked out. With the 310 I could sit at the bench and load them as needed. For a long time ebay was a good source for building your die assortment, but like everything they became priced out of sight.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^+1^^
    If you go to the Casting and Reloading Hand Tools subforum, especially the Lyman 310 Swapping page. On it you’ll find several threads going actively most of the time.
    BTW, did you have the little TruLine Jr press or a later one with the adaptor bushings you mention? The TL Jr always struck me as “just right” for loading straight side handgun cartridges.
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 03-29-2024 at 01:07 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    PS Do you still have that press and dies stashed someplace? 45 Colt is a very popular caliber for the small dies.
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I do occasionally. While the 310 isn't my most preferred method of loading, it is a viable option.

Since the dies only neck size, they are a decent way to try out wildcat cartridges before springing for high dollar custom dies. I currently use a set of .308 Win dies to load for my newest rifle project in .30 Bench Rest. I had to shorten the bullet seating die by two or three threads, but it works.

Robert

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I have 38 Sp, 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 303 Brit in my bug-out bag. Have been known to use 310 tool and dies at the range, dialing-in loads.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy

I had a TrueLine Jr. Was good for pistol I loaded a pile of 45 Colt Think I have a few sets of dies somewhere. Never cared for the hand tools. Like the Lee hand loaders.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    I had a TrueLine Jr. Was good for pistol I loaded a pile of 45 Colt Think I have a few sets of dies somewhere. Never cared for the hand tools. Like the Lee hand loaders.
    The difference between 310 Tools and Lee Loaders is really a “Ford of Chevy” question... it comes down to personal preference.
    My earliest mentor in reloading liked to prime off press with a 310 tool and I started that way myself, gathering a nice assortment of PC Dies, but then I discovered the aluminum hand held priming tool in the Target Loader sets and available for separate purchase as well as the red plastic tools in the “Unitized” Lee Loaders.
    Over 30 years later I still have an ongoing love affair with those priming tools, but still prefer the 310 Tool for the other steps for reloading.
    Froggie

I have a dozen or so handles and many 310 die sets. I enjoy using them. I use them mostly for pistol calibers, but do use them for rifle too. I like loading 250 savage with them.

Boolit Master
    I typically load my 38 specials on a true line Junior. TruLine Junior except 310 dies although there can actually be differences between true line Junior dies and 310 dies. Don’t knows I remember what the difference is but there’s a difference
    Last edited by poppy42; 03-31-2024 at 12:05 AM. Reason: I really hate freaking auto correct!!!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I typically load my 38 specials on a true line Junior. TruLine Junior except 310 dies although there can actually be differences between true line Junior dies and 310 dies. Don’t knows I remember what the difference is but there’s a difference
    The TL Jr die sets for straight wall pistol cases and a very few necked cases came with full length case sizers... which the 310 tools lack the leverage to operate. Some of the sizing dies for bottleneck rifle dies had a plug at the bottom of the decapping stem that opened the case neck back up as the case was withdrawn from the die, a process the 310 tool can't handle.

Also, if you go th other way, some of the sizing, expanding, and seating dies for 310 are too short to use with the TL Jr turret. I've dealt with workarounds for this over a few decades!

Overall though, the 310/TL Jr system was and is lots of fun. Unfortunately, if you want to jump in now, they are discontinued and not only do you deal with fellow reloaders, but opportunists, pirates, and vultures as well!

Froggie